+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fonts

Default Fonts

Ah... Eh.....

Some of you dear chickadees are trying to speed up your computers and make room in your hard drives by removing fonts.

BE VERY CAREFUL OF REMOVING FONTS!!!!

Every time you install a program or visit a website, you get fonts installed in your computer, to allow you to run those programs/websites. If you remove the wrong fonts, you are going to end up with a mayor headache/expense trying to get your putter to work again.

I use many fonts in my work, so what I do is to use the Font Thing and install the fonts temporarily, that way, when the computer is turned off, the fonts are removed from memory.

I will try to write a tutorial on this asap. Meanwhile, there are several things you can do to speed up your computer without having to mess with fonts.

I have mentioned this many times, but it seems that this is a hard concept for some to understand.... SBM comes with a wonderful feature that allows you to tile your backgrounds, rather than using full page backgrounds. A 200x200 pixel seamless tile is usually less than 30 kbs, compared to a 2 to 3 megabites full page background. Unless you have a specific background that cannot be seamless, you are better off using seamless tiles. This will make a huge different in your memory use.

For those that are interested, I can make a program available to you that will turn any tile into a seamless tile. It's called 2020 and no longer available on the net. It's free a super easy to use.

So, just my two cents, but remember... An ounce of prevention is worth.... A lot of money do to inflation!!!

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Granny whenever I tile my backgrounds, they always seem to be a lot of little squares. They don't appear to be seamless.
    I have found out that a lot of the PNG backgrounds can be converted to JPG's that take a lot less memory and still look great even printed out.

You're so right, Marion. Not all tiles are seamless or can be made into seamless. But, there are many sites out there that offer seamless tiles for personal use.

Thank you for sharing the trick about pngs to jpgs. That is very good to know. See... I just learned something from you!

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store