• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Corey
    Layout Whiz
    • Jan 2006

Wild World of Bass

Today I bought a fretless bass guitar. Fretless guitars have a very haunting sound because they are not tempered. When I got home I went out and sat in the garden and started playing the bass. Almost immediately a Robin showed up (I think) then a finch. The robin came right up to me. He/she started walking around me, cocking his head intently. Studying me. I just kept playing. Slow soulful stuff with lots of note slides. The robin studied me carefully for a while and then went and stood nearby. The finch came near too although it seemed more distracted than the robin.

That's the first time in the past couple months I've seen a robin or a finch in our yard so I'm basically positive it was the bass that attracted them. Which surprises me because I always thought birds ignored low frequency sounds. (???)

Anyhow that's the latest in my various tales of wild animal encounters. This is about the tenth time in my life a wild animal has came right up to me and studied me like that. I wish it would happen everyday. I should write a tune about that Robin sometime. I wonder what he was thinking...
    Scrapbook MAX! is the fun and easy digital scrapbooking software for Windows. Download a free trial version at .
  • Karin
    • Jan 2006

That's really cool, Corey. At first, I thought your post was going to be a fishing tale (bass/bass - darn those homonyms!), but what a great story.

When I was living on the sixth floor of an apartment building, every time I would start up the vacuum cleaner, a whole host of pigeons would alight on my patio and stare at me through the window. It was really wild, and it happened EVERY time.

It's interesting how technology can facilitate an encounter with nature rather than drive it away...

By the way, how about writing a song FOR the robin...I'll bet he or she'd like it...

Karin

Comment

• Corey
      Layout Whiz
      • Jan 2006

I will write a tune FOR that Robin at some point. Definitely. I have to let the experience rattle around my noodle for a while though until it spits out some conclusions. And with a granite head like mine that may take decades.
      Scrapbook MAX! is the fun and easy digital scrapbooking software for Windows. Download a free trial version at .

Comment

• Kazr
        Layout Whiz
        • Mar 2006

Corey, that is an amazing story, nothing like getting down with nature to make your day
        In regard to *Granite Head*-seems to me *it*has an impressive amount of creativity to keep us all entertained.You are one talented human being,hope you know that!

Comment

• Marnie
          • Jan 2006

Robin whisperer

Originally posted by Corey
          Anyhow that's the latest in my various tales of wild animal encounters. This is about the tenth time in my life a wild animal has came right up to me and studied me like that.
          Not to sound too "horse whisperer-y", but I believe that some people have a calm "aura" about them, something that animals pick up on, but that usually goes unnoticed by humans.

I don't know Corey, but maybe he's a calm person.

And I don't know about anybody out there in SBM cyber-world, but I certainly don't have the right kind of aura for animal whispering - horse, robin, or any other variety! Wish I did though!
          Marnie

Comment

• Corey
            Layout Whiz
            • Jan 2006

Hee! That's the first time I've ever been accused of being calm.

Comment

• Kazr
              Layout Whiz
              • Mar 2006

I think all animals can sense whether you are friends or foe,& they can be extremely trusting,I wish half my *friends* were as loyal as animals.

Comment

• Corey
                Layout Whiz
                • Jan 2006

I wonder if animal crackers can sense evil saltines?

Comment

• Granny
                  MAX! Mastermind
                  • Mar 2006

We got some squirrels around here we hand feed peanuts to. We also got possums and rackoons.

They all come around when I start singing in the shower. Fortunately, I only do that once a year for a special occasion (have to conserve water). Cause when I do, all these rocks start hitting the window. I interprete that to be that they want me to continue singing. Surely it could not be that they want me to shower more often?

Yes, animals are definetly very intuitive and discerning. And yes, they are way nicer than people.

GrannyScrapystinker.
                  sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

• Karin
                    • Jan 2006

I just relocated the box of animal crackers that were sitting next to the Triscuits. Just in case.

Karin

Comment

Working...
                    X