Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile More Versatile Shadow Tool

Hi,

I bet you've had this suggestion a bunch of times - sorry if it's a repeat but it would be great to have the ability to place the shadows and also to vary the intensity of the shadows. This is such an awesome program - I like it lots!

Thanks for the suggestion.

In the meantime one possible workaround is to make a copy of your image and add the shadow to that, fade its opacity, and set it underneath. Not optimal but a workaround anyhow.

Another workaround would be to create a couple of generic soft shadow PNGs which you could set beneath objects in Scrapbook MAX! for software shadows. See attached example...
    Attached Images
    Attached Files
    Scrapbook MAX! is the fun and easy digital scrapbooking software for Windows. Download a free trial version at www.scrapbookmax.com.

I believe it has been mentioned before and is worth repeating. Being able to adjust the intensity, position and feathering of the shadow is a much needed tool for scrapbooking. When I design elements I don't like to add shadows and try to leave that up to the taste of the user but sometimes the shadows have to be included as it just doesn't work right with the shadow option in SBMax.

I look forward to it being added someday with much anticipation.

Ladybug

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks Corey for your suggestions - I have downloaded the template. Ladybug expressed really well what would be needed. Is it a possibility sometime?

Indeed thanks for the suggestions! This is something that is currently possible in the program code (I added those abilities in a while back) but the settings aren't "exposed" in the user interface yet. It's a real balancing act to add features while still keeping Scrapbook MAX easy to use -- have too many options and it can be a bit overwhelming to beginners. Believe me, every feature we add comes after prolonged debate over the consequences.

For version 1 of scrappy we decided to try a more hands-off, "they just work" approach with the shadows. I'm pretty sure we'll be adding more control over the shadows in a future version, especially now that you've confirmed it's an important feature.

In anticipation, I'd like to ask some questions to help us design the options.
    1. Which would you prefer: a slider to set the distance, and a direction...or separate x and y values?
    2. Would you want to be able to choose the shadow color? (In addition to the intensity, I mean...for example, to have red shadows, or pink shadows.)
    3. Would you like separate feathering options (e.g. a slider to set the amount of softness) or should that be set automatically when you adjust the intensity?
    4. Should there be separate shadow settings for every item, or would it make more sense to set the shadow options "globally" for each page?
    Lorne ( )
    Scrapbook MAX! Software Developer

Smile Wow! Lots of choices!

I can see why you really debate about the features. Those of us who found programs like PE3 and 4 too difficult will need to think about suggestions that will complicate this user-friendly program (which is part of its great appeal). I really would only like to be able to vary the intensity and softness of the shadowing - sometimes it's nice to have a really dark shadow to add depth. Also, sliders always seem to be the easiest to use.
    I would probably prefer to set the shadows individually rather than globally.

Thank you for all the thought you put into your program!

Lorne, there should be exactly 5 settings. Color, opacity, distance, size, and angle. This definitely doesn't need to be innovative, just functional IMO.

Color = Color chip selector.
    Opacity = Silder from 0 to 100 to adjust shadow opacity.
    Distance = Slider from 0 to 300 which sets distance in pixels from center-object to center-shadow.
    Size = Slider from 0 to 200 which controls how large the shadow is - as you increase this the edges get software as shadow grows larger.
    Angle = Continuous rotary control from 0-360 to set lighting (shadow) angle.

That will cover over 95% of users in over 95% of scenarios. For reference on any of those components refer to Photoshop's layer effects Drop Shadow which is, IMO, the best model in this case.
    Scrapbook MAX! is the fun and easy digital scrapbooking software for Windows. Download a free trial version at www.scrapbookmax.com.

I agree with Corey. I love the simplisity in Max, but drop shadows make all the difference in the world in making a layout look 3d and realistic. Some of the programs I use have all the features Corey mentioned packadged into a neat little box that those not take a lot of room.

Thank you so much for your concern and willigness to include this option in the program. A responsive developer team is worth 90% of the cost of the program.

Granny

ps: We need a smily that throws kisses!

Lorne, sorry one more which I missed. There should be a "Global" checkbox beside the shadow controls for each object which, when checked applies the settings to all objects with "Global" checked, and when unchecked applies the settings to only that object. Thanks.

ITA about the need for more versatile degree of shadows AND... DIFFERENT COLORED shadows!
    I was using grey as the font color and the only color shadow available is... grey!!!

Please visit my SBM store!