X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marnie
    • Jan 2006

Some more book ideas

Wow, this is such a great thread! I also love to hear reading suggestions. There are so many books out there and so little time, so it's great to have advice from friends about where to look!

I'm not sure how much I can add because I've been reading some non-fiction, research-based books lately. For anyone who might be interested, I've been reading a very interesting book called Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman. It essentially challenges society's assumptions about the true definition of intelligence. In my (somewhat geeky and psychology-driven) opinion, it's a must read for any parent or teacher.

Other than some "classics" that I've been reading, some great books have been Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald and A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry.

Keep the list coming.......
    Marnie

Comment

• Kazr
      Layout Whiz
      • Mar 2006

hi Karin
      I just finished reading * Night Time is My Time* by Mary Higgins Clark,completed it in just over a day but my Mum & I both couldnt put it down until the end, very addictive.
      Kathy Reichs-2 books in one-*Deja Dead* & *Death Du Tour*-very addictive also.
      Anything by Mary Higgins Clark or Patricia Cornwell, (forensics) are usually worth reading & sometimes a Danielle Steele story can be addictive, if you like the occasional romance

Comment

• Jezza
        • Feb 2006

Anything and everything by these authors

Jodi Picoult - Am reading (Well just started) The Tenth Circle (And can I say OH MY GOSH. I'm only into about the 7th page, and it's already got me on the edge of my seat!) Well, when I can get away from the computer

And my other favourite, Paulina Simons

Comment

• WendyG
          Mad Scrapper
          • Jun 2006

Awesome suggestions, thanks ladies. I'll have to write these down.
          Have a great day!!! ..........Wendy
          Come see my kits in the ScrapbookMax! Store!!

Comment

• Karin
            • Jan 2006

Help! I'm drowing in books!

Blub...blub..blub...

Seriously, this is great. I'm glad some others are enjoying the suggestions, too. It's the Scrapbook MAX book club! Who brought brownies?

Comment

• Lorne
              Super Moderator
              • Jan 2006

It's been a couple years since I read it, but one of the most standout books in my recent memory is "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. A truly remarkable book, with an ending that exemplifies something unique about the written form: that every reader creates their own story...the writing is just a blueprint for what you form in your imagination. The ending offers to change your perspective on the whole story, and in doing so reflects your perspective on the world.

I read so many books it's hard to pick one. I've got about four of five books on the go at any one time...usually a few nonfiction, and one or two fiction. Some really odd mixes at times, too.

Right now I'm finishing up "Strategy" by B. H. Lidell Hart, which has me rereading the little blue "Handbook of Maneuver Warfare" by William S. Lind. Both very dry, dry, books, but interesting if you're into military history at all. I'm also reading a book called "In the Spirit of Happiness" about the monks of New Skete, a few books on software development, and a book on adoption. I started reading "Shake Hands with the Devil" by Romeo Dallaire a while back, but it's such a heart-shattering book that I keep finding excuses to read something else.

On the fiction side I've been on an SF binge for a while...right now I'm reading "Meet Me At Infinity" which is a collection of stories by James Tiptree Jr, who was actually a woman named Alice B. Sheldon. The collection starts off with some older stories that honestly aren't very good, but the insights into Alice's odd double life (and what it was like to write fiction during the 60s and 70s) make it interesting.

Just before that I enjoyed "Red Thunder" by John Varley. I bought it on a whim (I found it on sale for a couple bucks), but it was a remarkably fun read...reminded me of young Heinlein. I also read Greg Bear's "The Forge of God," a thought-provoking end-of-the-world story written back in the early 80s. Before that was "The Void Captain's Tale," by Norman Spinrad, which was good although a bit too cerebral for my taste. Another interesting SF book I read this year was "There Are Doors" by Gene Wolf, a really different kind of love story.
              Lorne ( )
              Scrapbook MAX! Software Developer

Comment

• Kazr
                Layout Whiz
                • Mar 2006

hi Karin
                I just realised I gave you the wrong information on one of the books I recommended, instead of
                Kathy Reichs-2 books in one-*Deja Dead* & *Death Du Tour*-
                It should read-
                Kathy Reichs-2 books in one-*Deja Dead* & *Death Du Jour*.
                My apologies

Comment

• Karin
                  • Jan 2006

thanks, kazr. I'll make the corrections!

By the way, has anyone read "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire? I read it over Christmas, and I'm still trying to decide whether or not I liked it. I'm thinking it falls into the category of books that I can appreciate and am rather in awe of (as far as the talent, craftsmanship, skill and imagination that is obvious) but that I don't necessarily enjoy. Most Margaret Atwood books fall into this category for me (and yes, despite this, I am still a patriotic Canadian).

"Wicked" is incredibly imaginative (a sort of "biography" of the Wicked Witch of the West and a history of Oz, like you've never imagined, believe me!), and I admire the work. I couldn't put it down, but not sure I like it. I'm not sure if it's because it was disturbing in some parts or because I occasionally found it pretentious. It's obviously made me think - I'm still thinking about it in June, for goodness sake!

I always hesitate to recommend such books to others, although there's always the possibility that their tastes will be met where mine were not. Anyone else read a book that was brilliant but still fell flat for them?

Karin

Comment

• Winnie49
                    Layout Whiz
                    • Mar 2006

Thanks Jessica !!!!!
                    I will look for that book , the thruth is that I dont know him, but now i'm curious
                    Emotional Intelligence, is fantastic , i really enjoyed that book is so interesting it heped me a lot when i was in the university and also now, is recomendable
                    here is a book of Bepe Grillo an italian showman, writter who investigate all that he said in his shows, also the polemic scene of that disney film something of bianca and another interesting things that we dont know i will check for the exactly name
                    Ciao
                    wendy
                    Sacannon, Granny, Marion, Eye, OnieRN, *Eng*,Rosana,Angelwithin, Jamiept son mis amigas!!!!!

Comment

• MaryL
                      • May 2006

I found "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, absolutely brilliant. It is a long read, ideal for the summer.

Here is a summary

The Pillars of the Earth

In a time of civil war, famine, religious strife and war, there rises a magnificent Cathedral in Kingsbridge. Against this backdrop, lives entwine: Tom, the master builder, Aliena, the noblewoman, Philip, the prior of Kingsbridge, Jack, the artist in stone and Ellen, the woman from the forest who casts a curse. At once, this is a sensuous and enduring love story and an epic that shines with the fierce spirit of a passionate age.

The reviews
                      "An extraordinary epic buttressed by suspense ... a mystifying puzzle involving the execution of an innocent man ... the erection of a magnificent cathedral ... romance, rivalry and spectacle ... a monumental masterpiece ... a towering triumph from a major talent!"- ALA Booklist

"A seesaw of tension ... impeccable pacing ... action, intrigue, violence and passion ... A novel that entertains, instructs and satisfies on a grand scale!"- Publishers Weekly
                      Last edited by MaryL; 06-24-2006, 04:33 PM.
                      Mary ~ living in the North of England

Comment

• mh51
                        Scrap Guru
                        • Jul 2006

Boks

Anything by Lesley Pearse - I just love her books.

Originally posted by Karin
                        Hi all!

I'm always looking for something great to read - any genre, and new or old. I've recently out-Agatha Christied myself having gone through 5 Miss Marple mysteries and 5 Hercule Poirot stories (yes, occasionally I take a break from SBM!).

After receiving some awesome book recommendations from Jessica in another thread, I thought that I would pose the question to everyone:

"Read any good books lately?"

Much appreciated,

Karin

Comment

• mh51
                          Scrap Guru
                          • Jul 2006

Books

Anything by Lesley Pearse - I just love her books.

Originally posted by Karin
                          Hi all!

I'm always looking for something great to read - any genre, and new or old. I've recently out-Agatha Christied myself having gone through 5 Miss Marple mysteries and 5 Hercule Poirot stories (yes, occasionally I take a break from SBM!).

After receiving some awesome book recommendations from Jessica in another thread, I thought that I would pose the question to everyone:

"Read any good books lately?"

Much appreciated,

Karin

Comment

• Granny
                            MAX! Mastermind
                            • Mar 2006

Every book by Ann Perry! Love her mysteries.

Granny
                            sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

Working...
                            X