X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoJo
    • Mar 2006

Lost it all again

Our computer got a bug & we had to reformat & in doing so i seem to have lost all my work again.
    we thought we had all of scrapmax in e: drive where we directed it, so we thought it was all safe but when we went back in there it was all gone.
    Can you tell me when i save the scrapbook that i have created do i have to publish them or save to another file, so they are safe.
    hope you can understand this,
    thanks
    jojo
  • OnieRN
    Scrap Guru
    • May 2006

I'M sO sORRY

I know it was devestating to lose all your work! I am anxious for the answer to your questions too because I am alway's fearing the same thing. I have been saving my scrapbooks onto the same CD that I have the pictures stored but I wait until I finish that scrapbook and get it printed. I also have tons of goodies that I have downloaded and I was wondering if I should be saving those somewhere else.

I hope Steve , Corey and the others can give us some good advise on these things. We have some pretty talented people here!
    sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
    !

nie

Comment

• Brett
      • Jan 2006

- All of your projects are stored in: ...\My Documents\Scrapbook MAX!\Projects
      - The templates that you download from the forums ar stored in: ...\My Documents\Scrapbook MAX!\Templates
      - By default your published projects are in: ...\My Documents\Scrapbook MAX!\Published files (although this can be changed each time you publish)
      - The gallery content you download from the fourms is installed to ...\Program Files\Scrapbook MAX!\Gallery in the various subfolders.

So, if you want to backup your important SBMAX stuff, just backup the ...\My Documents\Scrapbook MAX! folder.
      Brett Kapilik
      Indigo Rose Corporation

Comment

• OnieRN
        Scrap Guru
        • May 2006

Cool

Thanks Brett for the information

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
        !

nie

Comment

• Lorne
          Super Moderator
          • Jan 2006

Scrapbook projects are stored in your My Documents folder, inside a subfolder appropriately named "Scrapbook MAX!"

There are actually three folders inside the My Documents\Scrapbook MAX! folder: Projects, Published Files, and Templates.

It's a really good idea to periodically back up that My Documents\Scrapbook MAX! folder onto a DVD or CDRW or even just another hard drive.

You might also want to back up any embellishments and stuff that you've added to the gallery (so you can have them to add to new projects after you get everything reinstalled)...the easiest way to do that would probably be to keep the original .smb files somewhere convenient (e.g. add another folder for them inside My Documents\Scrapbook MAX!) and then just back them up as well.

You could just back up the whole gallery folder inside Program Files\Scrapbook MAX, but that can get pretty big, so I'd recommend keeping any "extras" that you add to the gallery in a second location that you can back up easily (e.g. create a My Documents\Scrapbook MAX!\Gallery Extras folder).

I've lost work before too, from computer crashes and hardware failures, and it's always a real PITA. I keep backups of most things, but I don't back them up as often as I should, and I know better. I should probably start a habit of doing it every Thursday, or something. Maybe one day I'll get around to starting that habit...
          Lorne ( )
          Scrapbook MAX! Software Developer

Comment

• srussell
            Digi Sage
            • Feb 2006

Lorne...

Here's a idea that's a little out there... How about adding a "Backup" menu somewhere in the program that let the end-user archive his various items to a selected drive, CDR, removable USB, etc.

"Backup My Projects"
            "Backup My Published Files"
            "Backup My Templates"
            "Backup My Gallery"
            etc, etc, etc

Check for available space on the target drive and do an xcopy of the contents of the folder(s)

Maybe add a little reminder popup saying "Hey! You haven't backed up any of your stuff for x days!"

Maybe a "wizard" like the SBM startup "How would you like to back your files? Choose a drive...)

Thoughts?
            Last edited by srussell; 06-09-2006, 09:41 AM.
            sigpic
            Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
            My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

Comment

• Lorne
              Super Moderator
              • Jan 2006

Interesting idea, but my gut feeling is that it's better left to other tools...there are programs out there dedicated to taking care of that sort of thing. Sometimes it's better to let another tool take care of things like this so we can focus our development time on things that are directly related to scrapbooking.

(The list of features I'd like to see implemented in Scrapbook MAX is already longer than both of Adam's arms, and he's got arms like an orangutan.)

I've logged it for consideration though. REF: 13126
              Lorne ( )

Comment

• srussell
                Digi Sage
                • Feb 2006

Yeah, definitely got to watch out for feature creep (Been there, done that!)
                Just thought I'd throw it out there...

I can write a utility app that will do those functions. I had the same idea for building a wizard that creates SMB's.

Let my brain chew on it for a while...

Adam must look pretty funny with those really long arms...

Steve
                sigpic

Comment

• Lorne
                  Super Moderator
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by srussell
                  Yeah, definitely got to watch out for feature creep (Been there, done that!)
                  Just thought I'd throw it out there...
                  Always appreciate ideas - even the crazy ones! (Which this one isn't at all.)

I can write a utility app that will do those functions. I had the same idea for building a wizard that creates SMB's.
                  Hey, that's another good idea.

Adam must look pretty funny with those really long arms...
                  Actually, as far as freakishly long arms go, his are remarkably attractive.
                  Lorne ( )

Comment

• Adam
                    • Jan 2006

When your this big they call you MR.

AJK
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Marnie
                      • Jan 2006

Wow...us gals would love to have a poster-size of this shot. Mister is right!
                      Vroom vroom!
                      But seriously, SOMEONE send me this picture - I have a great idea for a scrapbook page!!!!

Marnie
                      Marnie

Comment

• srussell
                        Digi Sage
                        • Feb 2006

Yes SIR! Mister Adam SIR!!!!

I saw Drew Carey do this monolog about big guys (just like me, too!) and I was dying laughing...

Visualize a Chinese Buffet and the manager walks up...

"You Big boy... You go now.. You been here 4 hour....You need to eat more vegtable!"

All in fun, Adam!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Adam
                          • Jan 2006

It's just a picture though, the bike belongs to a buddy

I swear sometimes I hear the lady at the buffet say under her breath "fat man go home"

AJK

Comment

• OnieRN
                            Scrap Guru
                            • May 2006

I personally like the idea!

Steve, I would love a prompt asking me to backup my stuff. I also work off several computers and I have LOST a lot of stuff in the past that could not be replaced! I have been thinking of getting an external drive to carry back and forth to both computers.

!

nie

Comment

• Karin
                              • Jan 2006

JoJo,

So sorry to hear about losing your work! I hope that the info about backing things up is useful and prevents a similar incident in the future. I really sympathize, but I hope you have fun creating new pages... we're there for ya!

Karin
                              Last edited by Karin; 06-09-2006, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X