• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mh51
    Scrap Guru
    • Jul 2006

mh51 - Comments Pls.

The majority of the images I have used in my LOs were on a CD I purchased in the States & they only have numbers as file names.
    From this I take it that they were always 'free to use'.
    Hope so or I'm in big trouble...!!! LOL

I have previously downloaded prints/posters from the web from a 'free' site. Likewise, artist's name is not always mentioned and when it is, I do give credit. In these sites, when you right-click the print there is quite often a restriction on downloading ~ so obviously YOU CAN'T. I assume therefore that the others on the same site which enable download can be used freely...!!**!!

When I've found an artist's website I REALLY like (eg. BORG) I email & ask permission.

Would welcome comments, pls.
  • DGehman
    • Jul 2007

There's nothing like law interpretation by non-lawyers (like me)...

Digital publishing of graphics has made the ownership of intellectual property an increasingly complex issue. For your CD, you'd have to read the license agreement. My IMSI "Masterclips" CDs from 1996 tell me that I can use the images for "graphics and crafts applications free and without special permission," but that I cannot re-publish them or re-sell them in any form of publishing.

In general, you're probably free and clear as long as you are not making money from the images. That goes double if the artist is dead and has no ongoing rights holders. Living artists would probably want to know where their images are being used, so permissions are in order.

The name of a file,or whether or not it is easy to copy an image by right-click, is not a reliable indicator of licensing (or lack thereof). That said, in reality it's mostly economics and legal representation.

On the economic side, if you are not gaining monetarily, or if you are not depriving a business entity of income (taking something free that you should be paying for), you should have little to worry about.

For the latter, the legal defense of intellectual property requires deep pockets on the part of the owner. Copyright infringement litigation is almost always settled on the side that has the most money for lawyers.

In your case, I'd think your local newspaper would have a field day if some business entity went after you. "Scrapbooker's kingfisher lands her in court" would bring the guns of public bad will to bear on whatever business entity is leading the charge... which is why most of the big guys depend on "cease and desist" letters rather than legal action -- that is, a certified letter explaining the rights of the owner and a request to stop using the image.

Up until the time that you get such a letter, I'd say just continue to respect the rights of others (as you have demonstrated that you do), and to enjoy your avocation.

Comment

• mh51
      Scrap Guru
      • Jul 2006

This is exactly as I see it & i'll continue as I've been doing as none of my work is done on a commercial basis ~ purely as a hobby & pastime..!!

I do appreciate you replying in such a full manner. You're a gem!!!

Comment

• mint
        Layout Whiz
        • Oct 2006

I'm lost here are you talking about posting a layout you make using someones kit. I never list them i buy and pay for them and do not sale them or give them away. but as for listing them not me it would take a long time as not many things i make come from 1 kit more like everything comes from a different kit.
        Mint

buddies are- angelwithin

Comment

• mh51
          Scrap Guru
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by mint View Post
          I'm lost here are you talking about posting a layout you make using someones kit. I never list them i buy and pay for them and do not sale them or give them away. but as for listing them not me it would take a long time as not many things i make come from 1 kit more like everything comes from a different kit.
          No no no no......... not ung someone else's kit. WouldNEVER do that!*!
          What I'm talking about is the picture/print main content of the LO.

Comment

Working...
          X