+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Seeking digital camera advice

I'm in the market for a new digital camera and would appreciate your advice.

Currently, I have a Nikon Coollpix 3100 which I like except for the long lag time between pressing the shutter and actually taking the photo. It usually end up taking a different shot from what I intended. I know that a lot of cameras do the same thing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Default I hate shutter lag, too.

I also hate the shutter lag of some digital cameras. My 'solution' was to buy a digital SLR camera. I'm a camera buff, so it was right in line with the film SLR's I used to use. The ditial SLR's have come down in price. The Nikon D50 is around $800; Canon has the Rebel XT, I think around the same price. Both may be more camera than you need, but you can set both to fully automatic so you don't need to know anything about shutter speed or f-stop. Both have virtually no shutter lag.

Yes, digital SLRs are great.
    Scrapbook MAX! is the fun and easy digital scrapbooking software for Windows. Download a free trial version at www.scrapbookmax.com.

Smile Digital Lag.

Yeah digital slr's are nice but you dont have to buy up to that if you dont need that. although i recommend thembecause you can change the lenses out and in the long run they are my favorite... i bought my mom a fuji finepix s51000 and she can change the shutter speed by going in to the options and simply make it fast or slower depending on what she is going for... i guess before you go out already set for one type of camera just check out a couple to see what is more comfortable for you...

Default shutter speed not same as shutter lag

I agree that you may be able to find other digital cameras that aren't SLR's that may not have much shutter lag. However, be aware that being able to change the shutter speed does not affect the shutter lag. Shutter speed is how long the lens stays open to let light into the camera, say 1/100th of a second or 1/2 of a second. Shutter lag is how long it takes for the camera to take the picture from the time you press the button. When that takes, say 1/2 of a second, that's shutter lag.

Hope this helps. There are so many, many choices in digital cameras, it makes your head spin! I would suggest not buying anything that you haven't actually held in your hands and checked the shutter lag yourself.

Some digital cameras have a "burst" mode where they can shoot "x" number of pictures in "x" number of seconds, i.e. 12 pictures in 2 seconds or whatever. Not exactly what you want but it's one way the manufacturers attempt to counteract this problem. The idea being that burst mode is suitable for action photos.
    Scrapbook MAX! is the fun and easy digital scrapbooking software for Windows. Download a free trial version at www.scrapbookmax.com.

Default digital camera advice

Thanks,
    One camera I've been considering is the Cannon PowerShot S2IS. It's fairly expensive, $400 USD, but has 12x optical zoom and a .01 lag time. Do any of you have experience with this camera?

Default Canon S2IS

Sorry, I don't have any experience with that camera.

The Canons are generally a great choice. If I were buying a new digicam tomorrow it would likely be a Canon. So, although I don't know that model, it seems to me you're on the right track. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the Canons.

Default canon

My nana has the powershot and its nice very nice! she likes that its really simple and the photos she has taken in vegas are amazing. ive seen alot of photos from several different digital cameras, since i work in a photo lab and a portrait studio and i would have to say canons are the best out there and they are user friendly. its also helps that their tech help is one of the best out there also very friendly people.