X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nnorcutt
    • Mar 2006

Everyone Please Read This

My favorite thing about this site has always been everyone's willingness to share. There are so many people who create beautiful things for us. But it is SO important that we still follow the rules for sharing. It is o.k. to post the web address for a site that has great freebies. It is NOT o.k. to post the freebies themselves. This is copyright infringement and is serious stuff. If the designer sees someone posting their images here, they have the right to prosecute. Don't want that to happen! I know we've said this a hundred times here, but unless you've made it yourself, you cannot share it with others. Just let us know where the freebies are so we can go there ourselves & get them. I would really hate to lose this wonderful sharing atmosphere, but that is what will happen if we don't follow the rules. O.k. I'm done now.
  • KristyAnn
    Mad Scrapper
    • Feb 2006

I understand what you are saying nnorcutt. But I notice some designers do use some of the freebies in there kits to sell. I am all over the freebie sites and I do recognise some of the freebies... not naming anybody I am sure they know who they are...
    Happy scrapping !

Comment

• eye
      MAX! Mastermind
      • Jul 2006

Thanks for the input.Mine is safe as I make mine.I do not care who uses it or if they sell it. I just make and give. Got enough love to spread around.
      sigpic
      My Buddies -- Sue, Smiles, Jazzereal, Eng, Crops, Terry & Wolvsie35 , Onie, Marion, Jenna's Mommy, All My Memories, Winnie49, Tiffanys Scraps, Grannywin,emst

Comment

• Granny
        MAX! Mastermind
        • Mar 2006

Folks, we love your generous spirit and all the wonderful goodies you share. But imagine how you would feel if one day you're cruising the sites and find someone has posted your stuff somewhere else, and even claimed them as of their own making? Is not that we don't want to share, or are not generous, or anything else. Is that a creator has a right to recognition and respect. And I bet, deep down, in that wonderfully sweet heart of yours, you do get a warm fuzzy feeling when someone takes the time to acknowledge that the beautiful embellishment they used it their layout came from you!

Personally, I am sick and tired of people using my embellishments without giving me credit, even in their commercial work. Or they post a bunch of clip art they got out of a book and procede to tell us they are sharing "their creations" with us. Yeah, right!

sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

• OnieRN
          Scrap Guru
          • May 2006

I can understand...

When I was a newbie, I went crazy downloading everything that was shared in the forum. The mistake I made was NOT making a folder for the different individuals who gave of their goodies. Now I find myself with a lot of nice things that I have no idea who gave them. For that reason, I do try to acknowledge that I do not know where some items came from. I understand that we can post in the gallery our layouts that have others items because we're not giving them away.... right? I know this is complicated for newbies to understand but do try to thank our designers.

For the record, I do not make anything because I do not know how. I am in awwwwww with those of you who do create. My personal "THANK YOU"
          sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
          !

nie

Comment

• pkdoll
            Scrap Guru
            • Dec 2006

Like Onie~when I was a newbie I too downloaded lots of stuff and never made note of who I got them from, and for that I am very sorry because now I know about the copyrights, and how important it is to recognize the person who so generously gave them to us in forms of freebies, as well as purchased kits; and I agonize everytime I use some freebies and can't give credit where credit is due. So please everyone, when downloading freebies please mark your folders as to who gave them so that everytime you use that freebie you can give them credit. Thank you to all who have given freebies, and please don't get so discouraged that you quit being generous. I have grown a lot from being a newbie and I do go to great pains to try and insure that I can give credit where credit is due. But I still have lots of stuff that I don't know who I got them from.
            Last edited by pkdoll; 05-27-2007, 07:17 PM.

My Buddies are Marion, Kimbob, Jazziel (RIP), Wolvsie35, Crops2dawn, Makeyesup, Kazr, Moonfairy, Moonlightpearl, and scrappyaggie48

Comment

• workingjo3
              Mad Scrapper
              • Sep 2006

I am in the same boat, I down loaded both freebies and paid for items and thought I was so smart in organizing them in to folders / subfolders but I did not recored where / when I got them from. So, does any one have tips / suggestions on how to keep them organized and keep track of where we got them from?
              Jo

Comment

• rosana brito
                Digi Sage
                • Jul 2006

thanks!!!!!!!!

I am fully in agreement, e if perhaps I made something made a mistake I ask for that forgive me please, it did not have bad intention, ok e always fixture here some papers that I myself I make e use masks , if I error please they communicate me immediately, why I never it would make something to harm this place that as much I love ok

Thanks for the alert one one more time!

Comment

• makeyesup
                  Digi Sage
                  • Jun 2006

When I first started, I set up a folder called Scrapbook Max. Then I have a bunch of subfolders called "Downloadsfrom(and then the site name". Under many of the site folders are specific designer names or kit names with their credits file. This works well for giving credit where credit is due; however, it is tedious when I am looking for something in particular.

When I download from the Scrapbook Max Forum, they go into folders marked by the name of the person who posts the thread. However, with the booster pack, some of the stuff gets lost and not marked appropriately. The only good part is that the .smb file is in the person's folder.

What would really help is if everytime someone makes and posts, they would make sure their name is on each and every item. Many of the designers don't do that either.

I am sincerely sorry if I have used anyone's hard work without giving them credit as I surely do appreciate all the gifts.

My Buddies - pkdoll, Marion and CraftyScraps

&

Comment

• OnieRN
                    Scrap Guru
                    • May 2006

I agree about naming files

I find it much easier to give credit when the individual's name is part of the file name. Example: EYE always has Eye as part of her file name. That helps SO MUCH!!!! I have also noticed the Knzus also does this. I'm sure there are others too but this does help!
                    sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
                    !

nie

Comment

• autisticwonder
                      Scrap Guru
                      • Nov 2006

As far as designer's go..it's easy enough to ask some of the freebie folks for permission to use one of their items in a template to sell..Most have been OK so long as they get credit..Which I state the credit..I don't see many designers posting credits..but hey..we can't be the ones to prosecute for what we "think" might be a problem..when they may very well have the agreements..Designers are the ones that get prosecuted, not the site..

As for freebies..I'm going have to start asking folks if it is theirs..BUT..I'll do it PRIVATELY through emails so as not to embarrass them in PUBLIC!! and then give them helpful understanding of the rules!! That would be far more helpful than general statements that start to get everyone nit picking and expressing personal grips that may have no merrit..

OK..my two cents worth!! LOL

Comment

• Granny
                        MAX! Mastermind
                        • Mar 2006

Gang, I want to apologize for my ranting up above. I really did not mean to come on so strong. I'm under a lot of pressure here lately, which is no excuse. I just wanted you to understand why I did it.

Look, don't agonize if you don't remember who's image it was when you're doing a layout. If you only post it on the gallery, it's ok. Just don't claim you did it yourself. And when it comes to the sharing corner, don't post unless you made it yourself or you got it from a royalty free source, or public domain, which are images that were created before the 1920's. I do believe that is accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, if you can all find it in your hearts to forgive me, I'll buy a round of root beer for every one at the "Dry Springs" Watering Hole tonight.

ps: I have a folder full of letters giving me permission or acknowledging payment for their patterns. If I use their stuff, credit is given on my product's details on the store.
                        Last edited by Granny; 05-27-2007, 09:07 PM.
                        sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

• Jormanoy
                          • Nov 2006

Oh I agree onie, One thing I did do was do a search on some of the stuff I had downloaded to be sure I put their name on the things that belonged to them, I then entered them in a notebook until I got around to correcting. Now I know better and enter it each time, I'm so grateful for all the sharing. Jormanoy
                          My buddies are Verleen and Mswizard

Comment

• wolvsie35
                            MAX! Mastermind
                            • Apr 2007

As everyone knows I am all new at this myself..and would like to become a designer soon as well...So far I have not used anything from someone else, I have used shapes and such from the photoshop program, or I took a bow off a gift and scanned it, then put some colors, etc to it...But to be honest with everyone, if I have the great opportunity to become a designer for this site, I have no problem with anyone using anything from my kits and I don't need the acknowledgement of it either..I am really not in this for money...Just thought it would be fun....If someone would want to use something I created and resell it in a kit, I just ask that they change something about it to make it their own...<wink>...The info helped some and I will try to change the name on my files for future downloads, but I do carry a label in my downloads...and I include no read me file, since I do not care about the reuse of any creation....I don't have time to watch everyone and make a big deal about it....lol...I just want everyone to enjoy my creations and be able to use them freely...If I ever do something to offend someone else, please let me know....I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally...Take care..
                            I am a Designer 4 ScrapbookMax! Check out my STORE...Thanks!

Comment

• eye
                              MAX! Mastermind
                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by wolvsie35 View Post
                              As everyone knows I am all new at this myself..and would like to become a designer soon as well...So far I have not used anything from someone else, I have used shapes and such from the photoshop program, or I took a bow off a gift and scanned it, then put some colors, etc to it...But to be honest with everyone, if I have the great opportunity to become a designer for this site, I have no problem with anyone using anything from my kits and I don't need the acknowledgement of it either..I am really not in this for money...Just thought it would be fun....If someone would want to use something I created and resell it in a kit, I just ask that they change something about it to make it their own...<wink>...The info helped some and I will try to change the name on my files for future downloads, but I do carry a label in my downloads...and I include no read me file, since I do not care about the reuse of any creation....I don't have time to watch everyone and make a big deal about it....lol...I just want everyone to enjoy my creations and be able to use them freely...If I ever do something to offend someone else, please let me know....I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally...Take care..
                              You are so sweet.I do not think you could ever hurt anyone. Your work is awesome and I love it.I like giving as well. Makes me feel warm inside to know that I created a monster and now yah all have to put up with me xo xo.
                              sigpic
                              My Buddies -- Sue, Smiles, Jazzereal, Eng, Crops, Terry & Wolvsie35 , Onie, Marion, Jenna's Mommy, All My Memories, Winnie49, Tiffanys Scraps, Grannywin,emst

Comment

Working...
                              X