• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nancee
    • Sep 2006

moving scrapbook max to new computer with vista

Hi
    Have not been around as my computer died and has only recently been resusitated hence i have purchased a new computer with vista. I am hoping for some tips and advice on setting up scrapbook max on my new system - my old one is an xp.
    Here are my questions if any kind person with a bit of tech know how has time it would be truly appreciated:
    1. Do i just install the program from the disk and get all i have now (except for my extra downloads) or do i need to install it the way i orginally did to get everything (ie: the trial download link, then the link they send you while you wait for your disk and then the disk?)
    2. How do i then get my layouts from the old computer to the new (which file do I look for to move saved layouts?)(are the layouts somehow linked to the place my photos are on the computer as this would then cause problems right?)
    3. how do i get all the extras i have downloaded from this forum onto the new system without doubling up on the stuff on the disk

p.s: I know you can get cords and programs to move stuff from one system to another but i don't want to do that as my old system had so many problems and crashes I don't want to transfer any bugs along with the good stuff
    p.s.s I wil be really cheeky and ask any kind person who has read this far an unrelated to sbm tech question:
    my new system is whizz bang and made up on three hard drives - is there a best way of setting up these drives - eg: should vista be installed on one , and data stored on a different one and programs different again or would storing photos on different drive to sbm just make it slower to run?

Thanks so much for any tips
    nancee
  • Desmond
    Resident Geek
    • Jan 2006

Hello,
    1. You can install from the CD only -- just make sure to use the Help > Check for Updates feature to get up-to-date (we've made many improvements to the software since we had the CD's produced).
    2. All your projects are saved here:
      My Documents \ Scrapbook MAX! \ Projects
      ... so if you move that folder to the same spot on your new computer, Scrapbook MAX! should find your projects, no problem.
    3. Extras are stored as follows:
      Templates: My Documents \ Scrapbook MAX! \ Templates
      Content: Program Files \ Scrapbook MAX! \ Gallery

Regarding your Hard Drive questions ... there's no right answer. I would do the following (subject to how you use your computer, and all that jazz).
    • HDD1: Install Vista, and Program Files
    • HDD2: Use to store your downloaded content, etc etc ... this'll be your storage drive -- nothing is written to it automatically, everythign here you've manually placed.
    • HDD3: Use as a backup drive. Get some good backup software (I don't have any suggestions), and install it so that every night at xx:xx am/pm a backup of your important files (or all files) is created. Then, if you have problems, you can 'roll back' to a previous version of your files, retrieve a deleted file, etc etc.

That's what i'd do ... but it'll take some time and knowledge to get going, and that's WAY out of the scope of Scrapbook MAX! support.

Desmond.
    |

Comment

• nancee
      • Sep 2006

thanks desmond
      but another question
      If i install direct from cd it will not be compatible with vista - will it? so then how would i open the program to check for updates to update program to vista?
      Sorry to bother but I'm really confused!

Comment

• Desmond
        Resident Geek
        • Jan 2006

Good point -- it must be monday!

send an email to desmond[at]scrapbookmax[dot]com with your full name and email address used to order -- i'll get you a current set of download instructions right away, that will include all updates and patches.

Sorry!
        Desmond.
        |

Comment

• eye
          MAX! Mastermind
          • Jul 2006

Vista sucks and I wished we could pick what we want and not be forced and stuck to use Vista.
          sigpic
          My Buddies -- Sue, Smiles, Jazzereal, Eng, Crops, Terry & Wolvsie35 , Onie, Marion, Jenna's Mommy, All My Memories, Winnie49, Tiffanys Scraps, Grannywin,emst

Comment

• stitches
            Mad Scrapper
            • Aug 2006

SBM and Vista

I installed SBM on a Vista machine without a single problem. Actually, I have had very few problems with Vista. One thing I did do was to direct download the update since I was getting an error message when trying to do it through the program. HTH!
            Donna Roe

My link to the store:

http://www.scrapbookmax.com/digital-...Donna-Roe.html

Comment

• nancee
              • Sep 2006

thanks desmond

thanks desmond will do it now

Originally posted by Desmond View Post
              Good point -- it must be monday!

send an email to desmond[at]scrapbookmax[dot]com with your full name and email address used to order -- i'll get you a current set of download instructions right away, that will include all updates and patches.

Sorry!
              Desmond.

Comment

Working...
              X