• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m&m
    • Feb 2006

ovals

Hello

I'm trying to put some of my photos as ovals - but for some reason the oval is only horizontal and not vertical. But when I use the shape on paper I can have it any way I want. Any advice?

Thanks

Having lots of fun creating pages... infact it is a little addictive. LOL
  • Corey
    Layout Whiz
    • Jan 2006

Yes it is addictive software, we've heard that from a few folks. For a vertical oval shape simply add the attached mask here to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Scrapbook MAX! Trial\Gallery\Images\Shapes\Special

Attached Files
    Scrapbook MAX! is the fun and easy digital scrapbooking software for Windows. Download a free trial version at .

Comment

• Sandy
      Mad Scrapper
      • Jan 2006

I think it has something to do with the type of file it is but hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in.

Comment

• Sandy
        Mad Scrapper
        • Jan 2006

I saved the vertical oval as instructed, but when I go to use it the oval is horizontal. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

• Lorne
          Super Moderator
          • Jan 2006

When you apply a shape effect, it's automatically "stretched" to match the shape of your photo.

If you want a regular "horizontal" photo to become a vertical oval, one way is to crop the photo first so that it has "vertical proportions," and then apply the vertical oval shape effect.

Or, you can rotate the photo 90 degrees in an image editing program, so that when you bring it into scrappy, the photo's "up" is oriented in a way that matches the "up" of the shape you want to apply.

Note: you can't just rotate the photo inside scrappy, because shape effects are always applied to the unrotated photo. (You'll see that when you edit the photo properties in scrappy -- no matter how you have the photo object rotated, it always shows "upright" on the Photo Properties dialog.)

Yet another way is to just use apply a horizontal oval shape to the photo, if there is such a shape available.
          Lorne ( )
          Scrapbook MAX! Software Developer

Comment

• Corey
            Layout Whiz
            • Jan 2006

So it does, sorry guys I didn't realize it worked that way. I thought the shape you see is the shape you get. I'm learning... I can see why this system is good though because it's automatic.

It would be spiffy to have a checkbox option which prevents the shape from stretching but in lieu of that, like Lorne says, one simply has to apply the crop effect first to create a vertical image, then apply the oval. I just tried it and it seemed to work good, see attached example from one of the horizontal images in the gallery.
            Attached Files
            Scrapbook MAX! is the fun and easy digital scrapbooking software for Windows. Download a free trial version at .

Comment

• Desmond
              Resident Geek
              • Jan 2006

Try first cropping your image to the dimensions you want (for example, if I had a wide picture, but I wanted an oval around one person standing in the center, I'd crop it so that the height is greater than the width) -- Crop can be found under Effects > Crop.

Once you've cropped the picture to the necessary dimensions, apply the circle shape. Since the shapes are stretched to the dimensions of the picture, the circle -- when applied to a tall image -- will be a vertical oval.

Is that along the lines of what you were looking for?
              |

Comment

• azmanar
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Corey
                So it does, sorry guys I didn't realize it worked that way. I thought the shape you see is the shape you get. I'm learning... I can see why this system is good though because it's automatic.
                SYSISYG .........hehehe ....just like WYSIWYG

Comment

• Corey
                  Layout Whiz
                  • Jan 2006

Hee har.

Comment

Working...
                  X