Groove Newsletter Contest January 2007: Pets (FREEBIES HERE!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Groove
    • Jun 2006

Groove Newsletter Contest January 2007: Pets (FREEBIES HERE!)

Happy New Year from The Groove!

The January 2007 issue is here, the first of a groovy New Year! This month, our theme is "Pets". Furry, scaly, cuddly, cute - we love 'em, and they are all quite photogenic (and scrap-o-genic!).

To read the January 2007 fun-filled issue of The Groove, click here. Or, if you would rather read it online, visit www.scrapbookgroove.com and click on January 2007.

CONTEST DETAILS
    This month’s contest is “Pets” and we’re looking for layouts that capture the crazy antics, the adorable poses, or the heartfelt moments we experience with our pets (or, layouts that capture all of the above!). VERY EXCITING NEWS: Starting this month, we will be honoring 3 winning layouts! The 1st place winner of the "Pets" contest will receive a $20 gift certificate to the Scrapbook MAX! Booster Pack Store. Two runners-up will each receive an official Scrapbook MAX! mousepad. How great and groovy is that?

To enter, publish your layout as a JPEG image at High Quality and Web/Email size, and upload it to the contest page. The deadline is January 26, 2007, Midnight (CST).

We encourage you to reply to this thread after you enter the contest. Post a link to your entry and tell us a bit about it so we can all get in on the fun!

MONTHLY FREEBIE
    And now for everyone’s favorite – THE MONTHLY FREEBIE! To download yours automatically to Scrapbook MAX! , just click on the attached file below! This month, we feature a collection of page corners that will be installed to your “Embellishments” folder.

Happy New Year from The Groove!
    Attached Files
    The Groove Avatar made with embellishments found in our various Expansion Packs for Scrapbook MAX! 2.0
  • MsSasyScrapz2
    • May 2006

Question regarding the contest... does the page need to be strictly from Scrapbook Max page art and embellishments. I have several scrapbooking programs that have graphics I'd like to use..but don't want to enter them in the contest, if I would be disqualified. Please respond ASAP.

Comment

• Scrapbook MAX!
      Your Host, Gracie!
      • Jan 2006

You can use any images you want in your layouts - it's all about being creative! You're definitely not limited to using what comes with Scrapbook MAX! Make your contest entries as creative as you like!
      Scrapbook MAX! 2.0 is here!. It's simply better digital scrapbooking software!

Comment

• Kazr
        Layout Whiz
        • Mar 2006

Hi there
        *To enter, publish your layout as a JPEG image at High Quality and Web/Email size, and upload it to the contest page*. .............................
        I am having trouble finding where the High Quality & Web/Email section is.... & is the web/email ...the email section?( where we send images to publish etc) I am sorry to be so thick, this is first time i have entered a contest like this.
        thanks in advance
        Karyn.

Comment

• autisticwonder
          Scrap Guru
          • Nov 2006

Hey, Kasr
          To find the sizing..simply go to FILE>PUBLISH>IMAGES..when the box pops up you have 3 things you can do ..Take care of the BROWSE..It is already set by default to send your image to the PUBLISHED folder in SBM. Study that link because you need to go there to retrieve it.
          Then look at the SIZE scroll down. Click the down arrow and choose web/email at the bottom of scroll down..Then look left at the QUALITY box..It should have FULL or HIGH QUALITY in the box. HIGH QUALITY is what you want. Then hit OK..and it will send to PUBLISH FOLDER. Now..Go to GALLERY to upload by pressing on January Contest tab.UPLOAD photo.Follow instruct. ONce posted..CLick top bar and COPY your URL address and paste that into your posted reply here. Good luck girl!!! Look forward to seeing it!!

Comment

• autisticwonder
            Scrap Guru
            • Nov 2006

d27 Fisher's Retirement

Here's my entry. Tried something new by creating a SHAPE for the outline of the page using our SBM program. Submitted tutorial if you want to learn that process in embellishments section. That gave the punched window look. I wanted to highlight Fisher and Johns faces but came out looking like I cut off their heads..by making another shape with circles over the picture...Enclosed pictures to show.
            As for content..My son John is autistic. Life was a real struggle taking him to stores, guarding him from desire to escape through the front door and run out into street, etc..WAITED two years for Fisher...Long process for dogs to go through..$10,000 dog given through donations. Fisher could follow 53 commands by the time we got him. Much better than my kids!! Life changed dramatically. John would hold to the harness and I'd have Fisher's leash. It was hard not to treat fisher like a PET..He kept John safe just by his presence and John knew that FIsher was HIS dog. Fisher is officially retired as of last year. 10 years old. Sleeps next to John almost every night..but having knee troubles now. The goals were accomplished to help John TALK..the 53 commands were very motivating to John. Then socialize..You can imagine all the folks who wanted to pet the "Seeing Eye DOG" (they thought)..but would fuss and try to not allow us in the stores when they realized John was not blind..I had to hold my ground with Walmart a few times and WON but the battles were hard..we had to break the NORM for service dogs and what they are good for. John not only came out of his AUTISTIC world but also became more aware of everything around him and interested. Fisher is the only thing John hugs without prompting. John has done so well over the years with his disability. We won't replace Fisher with another SERVICE dog when he goes. The need is not there anymore.Now all our dogs will be PETS.
            Used Fisher's dog tags for embellishments and made a dog bone shape for tag also. Used Nanac's thumbtack. http://www.scrapbookmax.com/gallery/...=6635&cat=1349
            Attached Files

Comment

• Kazr
              Layout Whiz
              • Mar 2006

Thank you Austisticwonder
              Will study that asasp, have a couple of really hectic days ahead but will do my best to get an enry in soon,appreciate your advice,
              hugs Karyn xxxxxxx

Comment

• caz38
                • May 2006

What a wonderful story about your sons dog. I had never heard of using dogs this way. I am so glad that he helped your son and will live out his days with him.They must have a very close bond. Dogs are truly Mans Best Friends.
                Carol

Comment

• Kazr
                  Layout Whiz
                  • Mar 2006

Dear Austicwonder
                  Thank you for your wonderful instructions on submitting a L/O for this months contest, they were so easy to follow I had no problems at all,I cannot thank you enough & now know what to do for future contests, thank you so very much
                  hugs Karyn.xxxxxxxxx

Comment

• kristyc1994
                    Layout Whiz
                    • Apr 2006

re: Fischer's retirement

Wow - what an incredible story and journey you have been on. It makes such sense that a dog could help an autistic child in this way. Their love is unconditional......I just love your story and your layout!

Comment

• Maggie
                      • Jan 2007

The Foal--"Cherish"

I liked this picture a lot and tried cropping it and doing other things to minimize the gate, but finally realized that's what I LIKED about the picture!

Story: Last fall, a local farmer asked if we would allow his foal to come to our farm to wean. We don't have any "real" pets at present, having lost them to accidents.
                      The foal came right around my daughter's birthday. This day was the first day she went to visit her "new pet"! Such awe she had.

Process:
                      *I added some "pink" hue to the pic to make it work with girly paper better. You can't imagine how much that helped the layout integrity.

*Made flower embellishment from paper to to balance the LO.
                      *Added transparency to the flower and quote box to let the background bleed through.
                      *Used "painted" journaling block to eliminate any harsh line elements to compete with the picture frame.
                      *Added text color the same of the paper purple.
                      *Added a tiny glow "star" on the flower to help it catch the eye...it seemed too muted. (photoshopbrushes.com--free)

Okay, I think that's it! I love these challenges. They are a blast.

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

Last edited by Maggie; 01-25-2007, 10:06 AM. Reason: typos
                      sigpic

Comment

• The Groove
                        • Jun 2006

Greetings from The Groove, Scrapbook MAX!'s free monthly newsletter!

A reminder that our January "Pets" Layout contest ends tomorrow (January 26,2007) at midnight, CST!

Click here to upload your favorite pet layout now. You may be eligible to win a $20 Gift Certificate to the Scrapbook MAX! Booster Pack Store and one of two official Scrapbook MAX! mousepads.

We are BLOWN AWAY by your fabulous entries this month! Way to go to everyone!

(Psst...Want to sign up to receive The Groove each month for free? Click here!)

Karin and Marnie
                        The Groove Editors
                        The Groove Avatar made with embellishments found in our various Expansion Packs for Scrapbook MAX! 2.0

Comment

• Marion
                          MAX! Mastermind
                          • Feb 2006

Wonder

Originally posted by autisticwonder View Post
                          Here's my entry. Tried something new by creating a SHAPE for the outline of the page using our SBM program. Submitted tutorial if you want to learn that process in embellishments section. That gave the punched window look. I wanted to highlight Fisher and Johns faces but came out looking like I cut off their heads..by making another shape with circles over the picture...Enclosed pictures to show.
                          As for content..My son John is autistic. Life was a real struggle taking him to stores, guarding him from desire to escape through the front door and run out into street, etc..WAITED two years for Fisher...Long process for dogs to go through..$10,000 dog given through donations. Fisher could follow 53 commands by the time we got him. Much better than my kids!! Life changed dramatically. John would hold to the harness and I'd have Fisher's leash. It was hard not to treat fisher like a PET..He kept John safe just by his presence and John knew that FIsher was HIS dog. Fisher is officially retired as of last year. 10 years old. Sleeps next to John almost every night..but having knee troubles now. The goals were accomplished to help John TALK..the 53 commands were very motivating to John. Then socialize..You can imagine all the folks who wanted to pet the "Seeing Eye DOG" (they thought)..but would fuss and try to not allow us in the stores when they realized John was not blind..I had to hold my ground with Walmart a few times and WON but the battles were hard..we had to break the NORM for service dogs and what they are good for. John not only came out of his AUTISTIC world but also became more aware of everything around him and interested. Fisher is the only thing John hugs without prompting. John has done so well over the years with his disability. We won't replace Fisher with another SERVICE dog when he goes. The need is not there anymore.Now all our dogs will be PETS.
                          Used Fisher's dog tags for embellishments and made a dog bone shape for tag also. Used Nanac's thumbtack. http://www.scrapbookmax.com/gallery/...=6635&cat=1349

I somehow missed this story before. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Marion

Comment

• KristyAnn
                            Mad Scrapper
                            • Feb 2006

My january challenge ( pet)

Happy scrapping !

Comment

• The Groove
                              • Jun 2006

Congratulations are in order!

Congratulations to Donna T. a.k.a. autisticwonder, The Groove Newsletter's "Pets" Contest 1st Place winner!

We love Donna's layout - the photo backdrop, the complementary colors in the embellishments, the "mini" photos and journal text that complete the story. And what a story it is! To read all about Fisher the very special dog and Donna's dear son John, click here (hint: scroll to the bottom of your page to find the feature article).

To check out Donna's awesome layout in the gallery, click here.

We also want to send a big congrats to our runners up, Lisa S. and Lor, who've pleased both dog lovers and cat lovers with their stunning layouts and touching stories! Click on "Life and Dogs" and "PK" to have a closer look.

And to all who participated, you sure love your pet friends, and we loved looking at them! Your layouts were lovely, funny, cool, kooky, sentimental - just as pet layouts should be.

We look forward to looking at your entries in this month's "Be My Valentine" contest! Click here to read more, or get the details on Page 3 of the January 2007 issue of The Groove!

Happy Valentine's!

The Groove Editors
                              Karin and Marnie

Comment

Working...
                              X