+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fonts...

Default Fonts...

In my (Control Panel) Fonts File I have three different types of fonts....
    TT which I know means True Type

Can anyone tell me what 'O' and 'A' stand for.

I FOOLISHLY deleted quite a few of these fonts (which are recoverable) but I would love to know what they mean.

ALSO........

Is it possible to set up a SECOND fonts folder inside the Fonts Folder to store unwanted fonts. Whenever I want to choose a font, the drop-down menu has SO SO many fonts in it that I don't and will never use.

If anyone has a better way of going about this I would much appreciate your comments.

You mean there's more to learn about fonts! Gosh I've just managed to follow Julie's excellent lesson in this weeks challenge! O and A ????

"TT" is Microsoft TrueType font, such as "Arial Narrow"

"O" is a cross-platform "Open-Type" font that works both on a Mac and PC, such as "Comic Sans"

"A" is Windows system font, such as "Courier" or "Roman"... It's not a good idea to delete these...

Programs such as Photoshop or SBM can only recognize your fonts if the system fonts folder (such as "C:\Windows\Fonts"). If you move them somewhere else, they won't be available in your programs.
    Last edited by srussell; 11-29-2006 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by srussell View Post
    "TT" is Microsoft TrueType font, such as "Arial Narrow"

"O" is a cross-platform "Open-Type" font that works both on a Mac and PC, such as "Comic Sans"

"A" is Windows system font, such as "Courier" or "Roman"... It's not a good idea to delete these...

Programs such as Photoshop or SBM can only recognize your fonts if the system fonts folder (such as "C:\Windows\Fonts"). OF you move them somewhere else, they won't be available in your programs.

Oh to be knowledgeable!

[QUOTE=srussell;23659]"TT" is Microsoft TrueType font, such as "Arial Narrow"

Steve???

Are you saying that It's OK to delete TT & O fonts
    but NOT NOT NOT
    "A" fonts?????

I HAVE deleted some of these & some of my web pages look a bit weird but still legible. They're still in the recycle bin and I can re-instate them.

I would like to clear some of the fonts out & need to know if it's OK to delete the TT & O fonts.....

do hope I'm making sense.....

Exclamation I wouldn't delete them!

Hi Mary,

I wouldn't delete any A or system fonts - I did that once and had to take my computer in and get the system fonts going again! Deleting TT fonts won't hurt anything though.

Hope this helps!
    Julie

Thanks for the warning! I manage to do things to the pc without knowing!

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMae View Post
    Hi Mary,

I wouldn't delete any A or system fonts - I did that once and had to take my computer in and get the system fonts going again! Deleting TT fonts won't hurt anything though.

Hope this helps!
    MANY MANY THANKS for your reply. Great help.
    Now i'll recover all from recycle bin with exception of TTs. PHEW..... good job I didn't clear it out eh??????

Every time you install a new program or download some stuff from the net, fonts are installed to your windows folder that use by those programs. So even if you do not use the fonts directly, they are used by the system, so no, it's not a good idea to delete them.

Fonts that you install to use with scrapbooking can be put in a separate folder, provided you have a font viewer that allows you to install them them either to windows or a temporary folder, which saves you memory and room. There are some of these viewers on the net for free. In fact, I believe someone posted a link to one some time ago. Just do a search here on the forum. Or do a Google search on the net.

Granny

Quote Originally Posted by Granny View Post

.....provided you have a font viewer ...............

Granny
    I seem to recall that I have one installed on my laptop SOMEWHERE. will have a search.....
    THX.