+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default If I got a new computer...

how would I transfer all the wonderful templates and embellishments that I downloaded for SBM from the talented designers in the forum? And projects/scrapbooks?
    Ellen

Exclamation Hello Ellen

I recently bought a new computer..... What I found was that I had way too big of files so it took me awhile. I do not feel that I found the best way of doing the job!

If I had it to do again, I would buy an external hard drive to save all of my files on.This way you only have to reinstall the program. I also discovered that the files that I did not save as a "Published" file, did not transfer with all the goodies. I'm no sure why, but I had to go back and re do many of my pages. As for transfering your scrapbooks, I think the best way to do that is with a FLASH drive, but remember, these files can be vert big in size and the flash many not move very many files (do to size). I honestly think saving everything to an external drive is a good way to go because if you computer crashes, you will still have those files.

Onie
    OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
    !

nie

Totally agree external hard drive

Default Thanks, but

how does an external drive find all the templates and embellishments that aren't in the regular program? I'm not sure where those files are located, would it be a matter of just copying them to the external drive and then the reinstalled program would be able to recognize them? I was thinking of asking for an external drive for Christmas whether or not I get a new one just for the backup purposes.
    Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by Ellenb View Post
    how does an external drive find all the templates and embellishments that aren't in the regular program? I'm not sure where those files are located, would it be a matter of just copying them to the external drive and then the reinstalled program would be able to recognize them? I was thinking of asking for an external drive for Christmas whether or not I get a new one just for the backup purposes.
    Ellen
    You can put what you want on the external drive and it will automatically update when you connect it each time. They connect by usb so fairly straight forward.

Smile External Drive

An external drive is definitely the best option for all the templates, etc. you acquire. You'll find your templates and projects and published files under:
    My documents; then
    Scrapbook Max!; then
    Projects
    Published Files
    Templates

You find Scrapbook Max! and the files it contains and save them to the external drive. That way you have them in two places. I also save some things to DVDs as extra backup.

Hope this helps. The external hard drive would only be for your files, not your programs.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMae View Post
    You'll find your templates and projects and published files under:
    My documents; then
    Scrapbook Max!; then
    Projects
    Published Files
    Templates
    But you will only find the files that you have saved under My Documents.
    Everything you downloaded from this site was probably put into the ScrapbookMax folder under Program Files.

Probably the best way to transfer to a new computer would be to copy the the folder Program Files/ScrapbookMax and My Documents/ScrapbookMax to external hard drive or a DVD writer or a CD writer.

Install ScrapbookMax on your new computer, then copy the Program Files/ScrapbookMax folder you saved right over top of your new install. Then copy My Documents/ScrapbookMax to My Documents on the new computer.

Hello,

Do *not* copy the entire Program Files\Scrapbook MAX! folder to the new computer (it's never a good idea to copy a folder from Program Files to a new computer, because of computer-specific settings).

Instead, please:

1) Install Scrapbook MAX! from a download link or from your CD onto your new computer,

2) copy the following folders:
    • My Documents\Scrapbook MAX!
    • Program Files\Scrapbook MAX!\Gallery\Images
    3) Open it up, and make sure everything you wanted moved over is there.

4) Go nuts!

Desmond.

Default Thanks all

Thank you all and especially Desmond!
    Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Hello,

Do *not* copy the entire Program Files\Scrapbook MAX! folder to the new computer (it's never a good idea to copy a folder from Program Files to a new computer, because of computer-specific settings).

Instead, please:

1) Install Scrapbook MAX! from a download link or from your CD onto your new computer,

2) copy the following folders:
    • My Documents\Scrapbook MAX!
    • Program Files\Scrapbook MAX!\Gallery\Images
    3) Open it up, and make sure everything you wanted moved over is there.

4) Go nuts!

Desmond.

Thank you Desmond will remember that one!