• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Granny
    MAX! Mastermind
    • Mar 2006

DVD back up

Hello there, techno gurus....

I have a Sonny DVD RW dual layer double sided piece of junk that won't do what I want it to do. I want to back my scrapbooking directory to it, since the disks hold 4.7 gigs of info. The problem is that every time I try to do it, it tells me the disks are full, and they are not, they are brand new.

Sooooo, I'm either using the wrong disks, the wrong software, the wrong brain (right or left side, it don't work anyhow), or the drive is no good. Sorry, but this is one area of computing I still don't quite understand. I back up every thing to cd's, but it would be great to be able to do it in one scoop, to the larger capacity dvds.

Can anyone help, please?

Granny
    sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

• *eng*
    MAX! Mastermind
    • Apr 2006

Sounds like you may have the same as me Granny. I have a Sony vaio lappy. I am techie dumb and have to ask my son. I am sure someone will answer before I communicate with him. He has loads of blank dvd's. iFf clever bod hsn't solved it I'll ask him when he gets in.
    My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

Comment

• Granny
      MAX! Mastermind
      • Mar 2006

Thanks, Eng.... I could always shoot the thing, but then what do I do?

Granny
      sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Comment

• *eng*
        MAX! Mastermind
        • Apr 2006

Know the feeling well!
        My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

Comment

• Granny
          MAX! Mastermind
          • Mar 2006

Well, maybe the problem is that I'm not really burning a music cd, or video, etc. I know that those programs can do that. I use Roxio myself.

The problem is that I just want to use it with Windows Explorer to back up my files to the dvd player, and I have a sneaky suspicion that it won't let me do that. That's why I'm hoping a dvd guru can help me with this.

Thank you all for your answers.

Granny
          sigpic

Comment

• Marion
            MAX! Mastermind
            • Feb 2006

I backed my stuff up on a DVD and I think I just Nero, had no problem with it. Never had much luck with the windows explorer.

Marion

Comment

• Lee
              • Jun 2006

Sony DL DVD burner

I have a Sony Dual Layer DVD and have found that it's finicky about what you feed it. I use Memorex and TDK media, exclusively. I believe Maxell will also work but many no-name brands are Taiwanese knock-offs that don't work well.

Also, is the Roxio SW a recent version, perferably the one that came with the burner? I have Roxio on my system but I have to use the Nero SW that was bundled with the burner because the others aren't able to handle the DL.

Finally, as my neighbor Jack says, "Getting old ain't for sissies!" Are you sure you've taken the DVD media out of the cellophane wrapper? (Ducking and running )
              Lee Otsubo
              The Digital Photo Guy

30,000+ Satisfied Students since 2001

Comment

• Marion
                MAX! Mastermind
                • Feb 2006

Lee you are soooo bad!!!

But to stay in the spirit of things, here is a funny one for us aging folks!
                Got it in a email today and might be appropriate for some of us.

Marion
                Attached Files

Comment

• srussell
                  Digi Sage
                  • Feb 2006

I agree with Lee's assessment, stick with the name brands... Many CDR and DVR drives are very particular about what you burn to... One thing you can do is look up the specs for the particular drive you're using and see what the manufacturer recommends for use with their drive
                  sigpic
                  Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
                  My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

Comment

• jazzieal
                    Digi Sage
                    • Sep 2006

Sony

I have had that happen to me Granny and I had not changed the CD to DVD settiing..its my aging brain you know...also Roxio used to be kinda picky about what burners you could use with it.. understand I'm not saying you have an aging brain...LOL
                    My Buddy's Are Crops2dawn, Sue, Eye, Eng, Smiley, Kimbob, PKDoll and Autistic Wonder

Visit my Blog http://wordstodelite.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Granny
                      MAX! Mastermind
                      • Mar 2006

Marion... You rule!!!!! I love it.

Lee.... Why you snibbleling, connaiving.......

Ok, folks, thank you all for the nice advise.

First, Lee, looks like we have the same dvd burner. Did I know it came with burning software? Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Second... I don't have Nero, you ninnies, so how can I use it?

Third... all I want to do is back up the blasted files to it.

Fourthly.... I have Maxell DVD-R, 4.7, up to 16x.

Now, yes, I'm old, no I don't know what I'm doing, and please, can you just come on over and do it with me.

But again, I appreciate all your kindly, worthless, wonderful help.

Granny
                      sigpic

Comment

• ghoward
                        • Jul 2006

Dvd backup

I think the problem is with windows explorer. It doesn't regonise a dvd disc.
                        I'm no expert but that is what I have found. You need to use the programme that came with your burner. I back my files up by making a data dvd. Hope this helps some.

Comment

• Lee
                          • Jun 2006

Yeah but I'm cute

Originally posted by Marion View Post
                          Lee you are soooo bad!!!

Marion
                          I sent your cartoon off to all my old friends and they can all relate. That's a good one, Marion.

I'm off to Ontario, CA where I'll be teaching 3 classes at Scrapbook Expo today and tomorrow. So, if anyone is planning to attend, drop by and say, "Hi".
                          Lee Otsubo
                          The Digital Photo Guy

30,000+ Satisfied Students since 2001

Comment

• *eng*
                            MAX! Mastermind
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Marion View Post
                            Lee you are soooo bad!!!

Marion

ooh I have got to print that lol. I have 30 + oldies living here, vrage age 85, oldest 97. They will love that. I am always putting up things like that on the wall, they love them.

Comment

• *eng*
                              MAX! Mastermind
                              • Apr 2006

How do I get it sized to print about A4 plz?

Comment

Working...
                              X