X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deedaa
    • Oct 2006

warning..please please read this

This is the very first time I have ever been to this web site. My daughter is really into scrapbooking and thought I would check it out to see what it's like before telling her about it. While I thought the scrapbooking pages were just great I found myself getting more and more concerned when I started looking at the pages regarding going back to school. So I went through the whole registration thing so I could write this message to everyone who might read it and hopefully it will get passed around. I went into the page with the pictures of children heading back to school.Through these pictures, I can tell you that there is a young whose name is Ben and goes to Lakes Elementary in Rockford Michigan. His mother's name is Christy, with a last name that starts with a C. I could tell you what he likes by what t-shirt he is wearing, who his friends are by who he gets on the bus with, and with a little effort, even the name of the bus. I could tell you he has 2 younger sisters, Chloe and Anna and what grade he is and about how old he is, what grades the girls are in and what all threes teachers names are. This information is all a perpetrator would need to get a child to pay attention to him. All the information, including pictures, you are feeding all these sex perps need to grab your children. The scene goes something like this..Hey Ben, your mom wanted me come pick you up. I talked to your teacher Mrs Dreyer and she told me where to find you. She said you would be able to help me look for a t-shirt like the one you wore for the first day of school for my son. Your sisters are going to go home on the bus, Jack was going to tell them you will be coming home later.......see what I mean? I understand that everyone likes to share thier pages but is it worth the risk you are putting your children through, and even the neighborhood kids? Please think twice about using pages with all the information supplied on these pages and If I were the administrator to these pages I would take the pictures off. PLEASE. for the sake of your children. I know what I am speaking about. I was molested when I was a child. Thank you for listening but more important, thank you for doing what you need to do to keep your kids safe.
    Lynda Babino
  • Marion
    MAX! Mastermind
    • Feb 2006

Thank you for caring! Your warning makes sense!

Marion

Comment

• Tonya Sanchez
      • Sep 2006

Thank you for making us think about this!

TS

Comment

• NanaC95565
        Digi Sage
        • Jul 2006

Thank you for your concern, I don't even think it crossed anyones mind. Very good point and taken well being a mother of 3. I think after more read this and take to heart what you are saying is so very true and it probably never crossed anyones mind at the time, But you are so right about it. Again thank you for your concern and making a very valid point.

Happy Scrapping

Visit my blog
        Visit my section of the store here

Comment

• barbie0114
          • Aug 2006

Warning Conern and Suggestion to All

Deedaa...great advice and good pickup on the page layouts. Yes, it is sad the way we have to keep our guard up and that some individuals have made the internet their playground to hone their sadistic skills. I feel your advice is important but even more importantly, why not just trade the pages as blank...without inserting photos at all? I think people would get the "gist" of what the page is saying. Just my opinion.

Comment

• mh51
            Scrap Guru
            • Jul 2006

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!! Doesn't bear thinking about.....

Comment

• Jezza
              • Feb 2006

I think there's a simple solution the this problem.

Instead of gettting Admin to remove all the pages, that maybe a concern to outsiders of this community. I say blur, or cover up that information. I've seen others do it before which is a great idea IMO!

Comment

• Marion
                MAX! Mastermind
                • Feb 2006

No use getting totally paranoid. Just watch and be careful of the details you put on there. I noticed myself looking closer at one of my layouts. The one that I did of my new Jeep. After I looked at it, I noticed my license plate was visible. So I moved the tag slightly and that took care of the problem. As long as we don't put names and names of the school and of towns etc on there I think we should be ok. This is a big world and layouts are from all over it. I think that any pervert would take a easier target than figure out the puzzle and put two and two together in a online layout that could be from most any place. Again, just my 2 cents worth!

Marion

Comment

• NanaC95565
                  Digi Sage
                  • Jul 2006

I think after reading the orignal post again all that was being addressed is we should probably be more careful in the future about putting full info on the templates. Example ful name of child, full name of school our child attends including City, and State. I don't think they were inplying remove them from the gallery. I did notice the one they were talking about but being in the sbm community and amoungst all the great people here we didn't gve it a second thought. But if some perv did look in the galleries of ur talented people and notice that, then it could be a potential child safety issue and that we deffinately don't want. I just took it as a eye opener, we all hope that it never happens to us, but it does happen and I think thats what their concern was.

Happy scrapping

Visit my blog
                  Visit my section of the store here

Comment

• Lisa S
                    • Jul 2006

I just wanted to thank DeeDaa for her input. I would like to think we live in a safe little community here but the truth is no one knows all the people who look at our layouts and what their intentions are. I've always been careful about journaling on posted layouts, I find that quotes work real nice. I think it's better to be safe than sorry!
                    Lisa

Comment

Working...
                    X