• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carena
    Digi Sage
    • Jun 2007

October Designers Challenge by Carena

Hi Everyone. Sandrine is unfortunately not feeling the best and so you have me again this month picking up the ball and running for it. LOL. Oh dear, I feel sorry for you guys. Yes, me again for another entire month wiling and ready to prod you all into scrapping yet more amazing pages. He he, I know I don't set the most easiest of challenges but then it would be a challenge then would it? My job is to get you trying out new ideas, trying things you might never have attempted before but at the same time, hopefully filling you with inspiration and creativity.

So - this month I have a sketch / PSD template to follow along with. What I want you to be able to see this month is that although Scrapbook Max can't work with PSD, TIF templates that you might see at other sites (which we don't visit because SBM is our home) but just in case you do see them around - well you know you can get inspiration from them just the same.

Right - so what are you to do you ask? Here I have a template in PSD, TIF and PNG format. You don't actually need to download it but if you wish or perhaps aren't using SBM software then you can HERE
    Otherwise I want you to look at it and Scraplift or use it as a sketch base of where to place elements.
    Your Choices are:
    1. Step A: Save the below image to your computer and bring it into a blank page and start placing firstly a photo with any photo shape you wish.
    Step B: Next would be to place some doodle swirls around like shown in dark grey/black on the image.
    Step C: Then move onto some leafy branches (in the image they are the olive green colored branches),
    Step D: then some more leafy branches (bright green in image - different to the other one).
    Step E: Now for some flowers - larger ones first - (dark orange in picture) Be sure to give them a twist around so you get them at different angles and size them differently
    Step F: Now another smaller flower this time (pictures in light orange in sketch)
    Step G: Now the tiny flowers (yellow in picture).
    Step H: And finally some word art or title as you wish.

Paper above from the Days Gone By papers Embossed Pack by Carena

To take it a step further - There is 2 background papers. One you would place as normal and the other directly over the first - but grab that eraser tool you have been practicing with from last month and rub out either the top right or bottom left corner right across to the corners so you are left with a basic triangle shape.
    Now in the above example - I used the exact same paper but used the above method but the top one which I erased - I decided to alter the colouring and brightened the paper. Pretty neat! I bet you never thought of doing that! Hope I've inspired you just a bit there. Hugs.

LOL now I get off track - The 2nd Choice. Download the template above if you have the software program that will handle TIF or PSD formats and scrap the layout.

and lastly 3rd Choice Just scrap lift and try something similar. Really I don't mind but I'd love it if you did give one of the other 2 options above a try.

Oh boy - I really have gone on haven't I? I know this is going to really challenge some that aren't used to working with lots of layers and duplicating embellishments. Think of it like making a multi layered salad sandwich. When placing those branches to start with - don't worry if it's not looking that great or you can't see where you are going with it - trust me in the end it should come together OK. You can of course adjust and move around a little later on.
    Have fun with it. Can't wait to see your creations. You never know - you might just surprise yourself.

(attached a large image to work with - 8 inches so you can see it better)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Carena; 10-01-2012, 09:57 PM.
    Kind wishes from Carena
    Scrapbook Max Digital Designer
    Visit me in the store Here also grab my blinkie if you wish.
  • Carena
    Digi Sage
    • Jun 2007

OK and now for some extra help. Here are the embellishments I used to make my first layout. It all looks complicated in the layout but when you get down to the nuts and bolts - it isn't anywhere as difficult or complicated as you might think.

Embellishments I used - and this also shows the placement of where they went on the full page on the left - embellishment used on the right.

and my final result - Kit: Days Gone By - by Carena's Designs

and now another layout - done the exact same way but with a different kit: Natural Breeze by Digidesignresort Crew

and now also for further inspiration - this layout done by a good friend of mine EMST and she used the kit: Vintage Steampunk by Carena's Designs. (me).
    Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Carena
      Digi Sage
      • Jun 2007

Here is an extra layout I quickly put together. I just place the embellishements without any thought or care for them. Just plonked them on there with a little turning them to place them into the right directions. Again repeating the embellishments.

Kit again: Days Gone By - by Carena's Designs

This time I tryed to use different embellishments to the other layout I did but still the same kit just to see what results I would get.

OK folks - about to share yet another secret technique with you all. Yes I used the paper as above with the eraser on the duplicated paper and then lightened.
      I took this layout a further step - if you can notice the layout looks darker around all the outer edges while the middle looks brighter and eye catching.
      Secret: After completing the layout I saved it as a Jpeg. Now I opened the flattened jpeg image of the layout back into SBM or photoshop or whatever program you are using as you can do it with them all. I then duplicated the layout (copy and paste it exactly on top of the first). Now darken the top layer and then erase the middle with a soft eraser so you can see the brighter image underneath. It will give you a spotlight type of effect.

And now I get ideas of a 2nd step in this challenge - I'd love to see you try out this technique. So grab a layout, any layout - a new one or an old one from the past if you are super busy and don't have time to scrap an entire new page and try out this technique and share it with us here. Have fun. I hope you enjoy this little trick.
      Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Saviscrap
        • Nov 2011

OOh some new tricks to play with, can't wait to try it Carena!!

Comment

• Saviscrap
          • Nov 2011

Oh My Goodness Carena!!
          I Love, Love Love what you made me do lol

here is my page for the challenge, it is a fantastic challenge too THANK YOU!

i ENCOURAGE EVERYONE to take part in this, I can't wait to see what everyone does

Comment

• SBM Diane
            Digi Sage
            • Sep 2010

Gorgeous Kaye!! Awesome challenge Carena!! Can't wait to try it!
            Last edited by SBM Diane; 10-02-2012, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Carena
              Digi Sage
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by wench View Post
              Oh My Goodness Carena!!
              I Love, Love Love what you made me do lol

here is my page for the challenge, it is a fantastic challenge too THANK YOU!

i ENCOURAGE EVERYONE to take part in this, I can't wait to see what everyone does

Oh I love to hear comments like this. Does my heart good to think I can help someone bring out their inner scrapper so to speak. I know you all have it in you.
              Don't forget to give the last part of the challenge a go - by darkening and erasing the image. It's a really cool little trick. Kaye - done on this layout of yours - it would really make it POP even more with some selective erasing. I'm gonna prod you on this one to give it a go. I challenge you. LOL
              Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Carena
                Digi Sage
                • Jun 2007

Party! Party! Party!

Just had some great news everyone - Scrapbook Max is offering a copy of the Halloween Fun Expansion Pack to a "winner" that I pick from among Carena's October Template challenge participants as a bonus prize.

Now I know you are all going to produce such amazing pages that I think it would be a great idea if I put all participants names into a hat and I will draw out 1 lucky person to win this fabulous prize. Those who do more than 1 page with the template will go into the draw 2 times. Double your chances. Triple your chances with 3 template layouts and so on.

The expansion pack can be seen here:

NOTE: The pack requires Scrapbook MAX! 2.0 to work and is a download. It includes over $100 worth of content and sells for $19.95 US.

Thank you Scrapbook Max for offering this prize - You guys are the BEST. Hugs.
                Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• fonzzy
                  Layout Whiz
                  • Feb 2011

Comment

• Letha
                    Layout Whiz
                    • Feb 2007

Comment

• fonzzy
                      Layout Whiz
                      • Feb 2011

Comment

• fonzzy
                        Layout Whiz
                        • Feb 2011

Comment

• Carena
                          Digi Sage
                          • Jun 2007

Two pages Fonzzy already. Great stuff.
                          Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Saviscrap
                            • Nov 2011

Awesome to see everyone is giving this a red hot go!

Carena I take your challenge and run with it!

I tried to highlight one area, but it didn't seem to work, maybe because the paper is so light, however i did lighten throughout the paper, by using a darker one underneath. I like the result, I am working on a second LO though where i will try the spotlight kind of effect.

Fonzy I love your Australian native flower LO and Letha that is a wonderful one you have done!

Might have to upload them tomorrow though SBM is very very slow tonight cant upload anything.

Comment

• Saviscrap
                              • Nov 2011

Ok seems to be better now, here is reinvented first page

And here is second page, using the same subject, and using the highlighted area.

And I love this one as much as the first one!

Comment

Working...
                              X