• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KapiScrap
    Scrap Guru
    • Jun 2010

Tips - To arrange an item on the appropriate layer

Just wanted to share with you some useful tips when using Scrapbook MAX! 2.... as I think that some of them could be useful for some people.

The first one is a way to easily put an item on the appropriate layer...

As you know each item (paperscrap, embellishment, text...) is placed on what you call a "layer".

When you make a layout you can quickly have dozen of different items ie layers... and sometimes you will add an object that you want to place, not on the background or on the foreground, but somewhere between dozen of layers...

For memory: To change the layer you have to select the item, right click on it which displays what you call a popup menu with different options. You should select the menu Arrange... and you'll then see 4 options:
    Bring to front
    Bring forward
    Send backward
    Send to back

The ones which appear in grey aren't applicable for the object. Example I select an item which is already on the first layer (front) then Bring to front option is disabled. Quite normal as you can't perform it in the current situation.

But you should already know that :-)

When I add an item on the design workspace it is automatically placed on the front layer.

Imagine that I add a blue flower on my workspace and I want to have this blue flower just backward an existing pink flower (which is somewhere between a lot of layers)... Sure I could repeat the Send backward feature but honnestly it could quickly become fastidious. And I'm quite lazy :-)

So here is an easy way to perform this task :-)

Step 1 - Add your blue flower
    Step 2 - Click on the blue flower and click also on the pink flower in pressing the Ctrl key... that will allow to select the 2 flowers. Then right click to display the popup menu and select the option Group. So you have grouped the 2 flowers...
    Step 3 - Select the Group then right click to display the popup menu and select the option Ungroup. You will then notice that NOW the blue flower is just in front of the pink flower.
    Step 4 - Select the blue flower and right click... select Arrange -> Send backward. The blue flower is now immediately behind the pink flower.

So hope my explanations are enough clear :-) The language "barrier" doesn't allow me to be more explicit.

So to summarize... Just group together the objects you want to have in subsequent layers... then ungroup them... and after you can reajust the layers with the Arrange feature if desired.

Let me know your thoughts about my idea of tips... as I could offer you other ones :-)

P.S.: For the forum moderator... Why not to have a TIPS section? :-)
    Last edited by KapiScrap; 12-20-2011, 02:34 PM.
    KapiScrap ScrapbookMAX store
  • Wendy M
    Mad Scrapper
    • Feb 2012

I love the tips section idea. I think it would be nice to have a shortcut key that can SEND TO BACK and BRING FORWARD.

Comment

• Saviscrap
      • Nov 2011

great explaining Sandrine..

Wendy isn't it just easy to click with the mouse the forward and backward buttons on the top of the page, I would have thought that faster than doing it via the keyboard?

Comment

• Wendy M
        Mad Scrapper
        • Feb 2012

Thanks Wench... Did not know about that one. LOL I need to go back to basics and See how everything in Max works. Maybe I should read the manual. I think I'll make that a priority to test every button and see how they work and what they do in the program.

Comment

• Saviscrap
          • Nov 2011

That's ok Wendy..I hate reading manuals, I just press everything lol, there is probably so much more I might find out if I DID read the manual though!

Comment

• Carena
            Digi Sage
            • Jun 2007

LOL when all else fails refer to the manual. LOL
            Kind wishes from Carena
            Scrapbook Max Digital Designer
            Visit me in the store Here also grab my blinkie if you wish.

Comment

• KapiScrap
              Scrap Guru
              • Jun 2010

Really happy to know you like the TIPS section idea.

Happy Easter.

Sandrine

Comment

• juliescraps
                Layout Whiz
                • Aug 2007

Thanks for the tip Sandrine. Love the idea of the tips section also.

Comment

• KapiScrap
                  Scrap Guru
                  • Jun 2010

I'm going to work on it.
                  Thx for your comments.
                  Sandrine

Comment

• redbird51
                    • May 2008

I will definitely try this because many times when I want an item to move backward one layer it will not work. I have to move everything else around it. Not so much fun.
                    Thanks!

Comment

• KapiScrap
                      Scrap Guru
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by redbird51 View Post
                      I will definitely try this because many times when I want an item to move backward one layer it will not work. I have to move everything else around it. Not so much fun.
                      Thanks!
                      This TIPS is really useful. I use it all the times as I always have a lot of layers.
                      Sandrine

Comment

• Saviscrap
                        • Nov 2011

Another very useful key is the TAB

You click on that and it will go to the next embie, then to the next etc etc till it has highlighted every one on the page.

This is useful when you have an embie hidden and can't click on it because all the other layers are over it, you just keep hitting tab intil it find it.

Comment

• KapiScrap
                          Scrap Guru
                          • Jun 2010

Very useful.

From my side I use the shortcut Ctrl + A to select everything... so I can see all the layers... even the very small texts :-)

Sandrine

Comment

• SBM Diane
                            Digi Sage
                            • Sep 2010

Sandrine, I just saw this. Thank you! I have been doing layers the long way since the beginning. It can be very time-consuming. Thank you for the Scrapbook Max software information. Your expertise is greatly appreciated and I hope you find time in the future to do more of these. I find that the manual does not explain everything and there is so much to learn about Scrapbook Max 2.0.

Comment

• KapiScrap
                              Scrap Guru
                              • Jun 2010

Diane,
                              You're very welcome.
                              As soon as I have time, I'll share any other "tips".
                              Have a nice sunday.
                              Cheers,
                              Sandrine

Comment

Working...
                              X