+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    8,450

    Question memory cards!!!!!!!!

    Do memory cards wear out? I use my camera alot and lately my pictures have a grainy texture? Does anyone know what might be causing this?I am so dissapointed in thw quality.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bethlehem, Pa.
    Posts
    4,560

    Default

    I'm not a camera wizzard but maybe it's your battery. When is the last time you changed it?

    My Buddies: Jazz, Smile, Sue, Eng and Eye "CHILLS", Poppabob, PKdoll, Onie, Pickngrin

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Technically they can "fail" over time, but it's pretty rare, and it wouldn't affect the way your pictures look. (They'd just stop working, you wouldn't be able to get the images off them, or your camera would give you an error of some sort when you tried to use it.)

    Graininess sounds like you changed a setting on your camera. For example, did you change the camera's simulated ISO setting? Setting it higher will make the images appear more grainy.

    Changing the exposure might also have a similar effect. (As would taking pictures in the dark...they can appear "grainy" too.)
    Lorne ( )
    Scrapbook MAX! Software Developer

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Buckeye, AZ
    Posts
    1,760

    Default

    It also could be that the resolution may be been changed/reset on your camera for the number of pixels used for each image... You might compare the dimensions of some earlier images (i.e. 1024 x 768) vs. the latest ones...

    A lower resolution means more images will fit on the same memory card.

    Low-resolution images appear "grainy" when you scale them up to larger sizes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    8,450

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by srussell View Post
    It also could be that the resolution may be been changed/reset on your camera for the number of pixels used for each image... You might compare the dimensions of some earlier images (i.e. 1024 x 768) vs. the latest ones...

    A lower resolution means more images will fit on the same memory card.

    Low-resolution images appear "grainy" when you scale them up to larger sizes.
    I have ithe camera set for 640x480. Perhaps that is what is wrong. Will try bigger ones. I know if you go large you can make smaller before sending them in to get developed. I also know large can be made smaler but small to large gets grainy. But I will try to do it this way. Thanks for the help. I sure can use it at times.But usually it is set at 640x480 and then I never have to resize them as it is a good photo size.But I will try to set them for a bigger size to see if that makes a difference.
    I hope you can understand me as sometimes I ramble

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    8,450

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
    Technically they can "fail" over time, but it's pretty rare, and it wouldn't affect the way your pictures look. (They'd just stop working, you wouldn't be able to get the images off them, or your camera would give you an error of some sort when you tried to use it.)

    Graininess sounds like you changed a setting on your camera. For example, did you change the camera's simulated ISO setting? Setting it higher will make the images appear more grainy.

    Changing the exposure might also have a similar effect. (As would taking pictures in the dark...they can appear "grainy" too.)
    Thanks alot. I will check this all out.I really appreciate all this advise.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    8,450

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by crops2dawn View Post
    I'm not a camera wizzard but maybe it's your battery. When is the last time you changed it?
    I got new ones not that long ago. But perhaps they are bad ones. I will try anything.

Similar Threads

  1. Template: Memory Lane (Grandparents)
    By Granny in forum Templates (v1.0)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 01:35 AM
  2. Out of Memory
    By nataliejh in forum Scrapbook MAX! Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 08:44 PM
  3. Managing memory space....
    By jessleonard in forum Scrapbook MAX! Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 08:40 PM
  4. Flash Cards
    By srussell in forum Embellishments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 12:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts