X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sj3girls
    • Dec 2009

Re-coloring

I'd like to make recoloring objects easier than trial and error. I noticed that if you uncheck the "Relative" box for the hue you get the eye dropper, but when actually using it, the color is completely off from what I clicked. Is there a way to make this eye dropper work better for recoloring. Like matching an embellishment or paper to a color in a photo, etc?
    ~ sj3girls ~

• Lorne
    Super Moderator
    • Jan 2006

Hmm, it shouldn't be off what you clicked. Are you using the bottom left part of the eye dropper that appears? (The very tip of the white part, not the black part.)
    Lorne ( )
    Scrapbook MAX! Software Developer

Comment

• sj3girls
      • Dec 2009

Yes, I'm using the tip of the eye dropper. It works just fine when I change the color of my fonts. I just opened a new page and used the Grungy Gal kit to check and see exactly what is happening. I made "Bkgd 01" as my background, then added the blue bow, the bright butterfly (013), and the first frame as embellishments...and "Bkgd 05" as a paper scrap.

I open the frame and check the box to adjust the color, then when I uncheck the "relative" button next to hue, the frame immediately turns a bright aqua color (I didnt adjust the color yet...just unchecked the box). Then I use the eye dropper to click on a dark blue part of the bow and the frame turns to a burgandy color. Then if I check the "relative" box it turns to a bright blue. Not exactly the shade I clicked on, but I can get close by adjusting the lightness.

Starting over with the original frame, same steps as before...but then I click on a light blue part of the bow and it changes to a golden/amber color. When I check the relative box again, it turns to a deep royal blue color, and I can't make it match the light blue by changing the lightness or saturation.

Again, starting over with the frame, I click on the bright red part of the butterfly, I get a cranberry color, then checking the relative box gets me a medium blue. I pull in the green button from the kit, do the same thing...and end up with royal blue.

I tried that with a few other colors and I always end up with some shade of blue (and when I am trying to get blue, it's not the blue I clicked on). Also, I am starting over with the original frame each time...not working with one that I already changed colors.

When I try to change the bow to green to match the button...I get a shade of purple, or brown...depending on what shade of green I click on. When I try to change the paper scrap to match the blue bow or the green button, I get a lilac color. When I try to match it to the red in the butterfly, I get blue.

Am I doing this wrong?
      ~ sj3girls ~

Comment

• Lorne
        Super Moderator
        • Jan 2006

Sounds like you're doing it right to me. Keep in mind that you aren't going to get an exact match for the color just by changing the hue.

Try unchecking the Saturation button before using the eyedropper, so it will match the saturation as well.

For some things you may still need to adjust the lightness to get it closer to your desired color.
        Lorne ( )
        Scrapbook MAX! Software Developer

Comment

• sj3girls
          • Dec 2009

Ok, thanks!
          ~ sj3girls ~

Comment

• lindaathome
            Digi Sage
            • Jan 2010

I always un check both boxes and I usually get the color I want. I might need to darken it a bit sometimes to get a better match, but this works pretty well.
            I am a proud Member of the Following Creative Teams

My friends are Angelwithin, Carena, Daydreamer, Dillie1, Eye. Frannieanne, Granny, Janarae, KimmyAnn, ksd_24_f, Marion, Moonbeam, The FreeSpirit and Wolvsie35

Comment

• sj3girls
              • Dec 2009

Thanks, Linda! I'll play with it some more and see what I can do!
              ~ sj3girls ~

Comment

Working...
              X