+ Reply to Thread

Question New and maybe trying too much

I am trying to design my own pages using Maxi. When I create more than two pages and try to save or export the template I get the message "out of memory". What am I doing wrong? Help and thanks.
    Last edited by mjholstrom; 11-16-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Sounds like it's a computer problem and not a program problem. How much free space do you have on your hard drive (HD)? May be time to do some backing up and purging. If you have lots of space you may want to look into more RAM, but sounds to me like you need more space on your HD. You could also get an external HD and start saving stuff there.
    HTH!

When I had this problem on my old computer with Version 1, it was solved with more RAM. And since Version 2 uses more RAM, it is probably your problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by Edina View Post
    Sounds like it's a computer problem and not a program problem. How much free space do you have on your hard drive (HD)? May be time to do some backing up and purging. If you have lots of space you may want to look into more RAM, but sounds to me like you need more space on your HD. You could also get an external HD and start saving stuff there.
    HTH!

My Buddies - pkdoll, Marion and CraftyScraps

&

What dpi are you working at. When I would try to do things in 300 dpi I would have that problem. But if I worked in the default 200 dpi I was able to do everything I wanted to do.

I trade off and have no trouble with my new computer. However, seems that I could only use 200 on my old one, without the "out of memory" message until it got so bad, I couldn't do anything.
    Since most people use industry standard of 300 on everything they make and also my latest camera downloads larger photos, there is a lot of RAM used each time I open a project and scrap. Always do my layouts on a trial project and when it's what I want, I then go to my projects and import it into whatever one I desire.
    Try to keep my old projects at 10 pages or less so they don't use a lot of RAM when I open them. Name them sequentally as for eg. Family, Family I, Family II etc. Burn them off to CDs or DVDs when full and just keep the web size .jpg on my HD. The .jpg files are kept in folders under a folder named 'closed project' and each in their folder which corresponds with the project name.That way if I want to reuse something from an old project, I can just upload the project back into SBM.
    Also, don't use any of the program options to bring items into a project. Keep everything elsewhere on an EHD (under my own crazy method of filing everthing) and use the drag and drop method all the time. The only thing that is kept within the program is templates and open projects.
    My method might seem like a lot of extra work; however, it's orgainized and keeps RAM and HD size down.

My Buddies - pkdoll, Marion and CraftyScraps

&

By default Scrapbook MAX! only keeps 5 pages in memory at a time. Having more pages in a project should only have a very tiny effect on how much RAM it uses. You don't have to limit the number of pages in an album because of RAM use.

You can change the number of pages that are kept in memory in the Preferences (Edit > Preferences > Performance > Page cache size).

Scrapbook MAX! 2.0 also automatically uses smaller temporary images -- whenever you add something that is very large to a project, a smaller temporary image will automatically be created and the program will use that smaller image instead. The full size version is used when you print, publish, or save to an image, though -- so there is no effect on quality.

The page size and DPI can affect how much RAM is required. Just like with Photoshop, larger sizes require a computer with more RAM.

I've tested pages that were 20x20 inches at 1000 DPI without any trouble in version 2.0 -- saving to a JPEG took a long time, but that's to be expected.

There's generally no reason to use such high DPI settings, though. It's very difficult to see any difference between print outs from 200 DPI and 300 DPI source files. If you're creating an album for view on a computer, the DPI doesn't even matter -- you just want the resulting pixel width and height to be smaller than the screen.
    Lorne ( )
    Scrapbook MAX! Software Developer