X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makeyesup
    Digi Sage
    • Jun 2006

Don't mind critiquing and don't mind hearing comments on my layouts, just don't like rating, so TinTin, I'm going to try and skip that part. However, figured I'd add my comments with Kel's so you could see them together. One thing though, I want lunch too............
    Maureen

Originally posted by ksd_24_f View Post
    K, so I'll go first... - and she was supposed to make me lunch tomorrow...hmmmmmm wonder if that'll still be happening! LOL
    BACKGROUND - 4 Only because I'm not a big fan of corners and I'm not huge on the color contrast between the orange and the grey - but I like the orange striped paper you used, I find it compliments the pictures.
    Think a different color on the background would have been a better contrast for the photo matting and colors in the photos. Or maybe a deeper shadow on the photo matting papers where they meet the background. I'm not a big fan of corners either, so difficult to comment on those.

PHOTO'S- 5 Working with a GORGEOUS subject, the pictures are clear and totally adorable. Well cropped, good lighting
    Love the cute photos, would have reversed them to obtain the head raising sequence. Like the white border on the bottom photo, it gives it more depth. As Kel stated in the other comments, would probably have either moved the top photo up to coordinate with the placement of the bottom one or moved them together in the middle.

TEXT - 3 I find the wording is beautiful, tells the story well - but it's a bit too fuzzy. I would try a different font and maybe not a textured print.
    Agree with above, possible even a white color of both fonts would have stood out better.

EMBELLISHMENTS - 4 this one is hard to rate, because we were limited with the embellishments we were allowed to use. I love the way you used them, good shadowing and well placed, but the flowers don't quite go with the pictures. - But again, if you were allowed to use a car or some ABC blocks or some boy toys.. it would fit the LO better.
    Agree on the flowers too, would have probably only used one on the right and left the top left open with the name only. Possibly added a date in the top left corner and eliminated the two corners on the right. Stars are an awesome touch to accent the main photo.

OVERALL PAGE DESIGN - 4 - I really like the LO - I think you're doing a fantastic job! And you'll just get better and better as you join us on these fun challenges!
    Love the theme of the layout and basically the layout of the layout.

soo, I'll take a grill cheese with chicken noodle soup??... ha ha - See you at noon!
    Think the numbers were reversed as Kel was another person that figured the higher the number the better the rating. So if we change the 4s and 5s to 1s and 2s, I'd probably go along with Kel's rating, since Michelle would holler at me for not rating.

Did I miss lunch?

Kel
    Last edited by makeyesup; 11-17-2010, 05:03 AM.

My Buddies - pkdoll, Marion and CraftyScraps

&

Comment

• tin tin
      Digi Sage
      • Oct 2010

Okay, everyone to my house for grill cheese and chicken noodle soup! lol. Seriously though Kel - I do not remember today being our soup day.
      I appreciate all the comments - especially the print preview - I had no idea that there was spacing there that should not have been. I find this so much fun, and yes, very addictive, but it is great to hear back from you girls since I am still really just learning.
      I have to agree with Kelly, I keep flipping back and forth from one to the other to see people's comments versus thier picture. That too helps me learn. Great challenge....

Okay Linda - here goes. I did my best, but am not completely familiar with the 'scrapbook' guidelines....tee, hee, hee.

1. BACKGROUND – 4 - love the background. Great use of shape and colour - probably some of my favorite colours

2. PHOTO'S – 3 – Excellent subject matter. I would personally have made the pictures bigger, or atleast one of them They seem a little small, and it took me a second glance or two to realize there was a piano there. could just be blind.

3. TEXT - 4 –Excellent choice of colours and wording, easily read and seen, although they seem a little big in comparison to the pictures.

4. EMBELLISHMENTS – 5 – absolutely love the embellishments Especially the bubble as the circle. Takes away from the femininity of the flower. Is that even a word?) lol.

5. OVERALL PAGE DESIGN – 4 – aside from the pictures seeming a little small it is really a great overall page design. Good job Linda. I have a tendency of really enjoying your layouts. Thank you.
      Somewhere in all the madness lies the beauty within

Comment

• Rhondarob08
        • Oct 2010

"Black Squirrel" by Maureen

Wow~ how ironic that Maureen's page is on black squirrels. I just moved up here by Omaha and just amazed at how beautiful the black squirrels are. I moved here from Florida, and we didnt have them down there.

Anyway, I kind of feel not worthy to critic Maureen's page. SHe is experienced doing this for years and I have only been at it for about 2 months! So with that said. Here goes:

1. BACKGROUND 1
        How does the background look? I think it look great!
        Does it add to or take away from the overall effect of the page?It adds to the overall effect of the page.
        Does the colors work well together/They work very well together. I think the touch of red is perfectly balanced.
        Is there enough texture for visual interest? I think there is definately visual interest.

2. PHOTO'S 1
        Are the photo's in proportion?They are very proportioned to the page.
        Is the primary photo easy to see?It is very easy to see.
        Does the colors look balanced?They look very balanced.
        Are the photo's cropped effectively?Yes they are cropped just right.

3.TEXT (if added) 1
        Does the title font effect the emotion of the page? The title is great. I like how it used the whole color sceme.
        Is the journaling wasy to read?I have to admit I had a little difficulty ready the bottom text.
        Is the amount of text used appropriate for the page?Very appropriate

4.EMBELLISHMENTS 1
        Do the embellishments fit the page? They are very well proportioned .
        How is the sizing of the embellishments?The sizing is right on the spot. I like how she used the larger arrow to show where the black squirrel was in the picture
        Do they compliment the page?They most certainly do.

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN 1
        Is the page pleasently full but not filled?I think it is very balanced and pleasing.
        Do you think others enjoy this page?Yes I sure do.
        Does the page tell a story that's easy to understnad?The page is very clear on what the subject is.

I really like the composition of the page. Adding the touch of red sure does make things pop!

Comment

• ValerieElaine
          Digi Sage
          • Aug 2008

Kimmyann- I am not that great on critiquing-, but here goes.
          You did 2 layouts so you're really making me work.

Layout One- Khloie on the Porch

Background - The colours work well together and add to the overall look to the page.Love the paper shape Rating 1
          Photos - The photo is a little dark. I probably would have made it just a
          little larger. Rating 2
          Text - Easy to read Rating 2
          Embellishments. - The corners are just a bit too bright for me draws your eye to them not the picture Maybe a dusty green? more like the green in the stripes same for the arrow More like the darker colour in the flower. Loved what you did with the frame,staples ,string and flowers.
          Rating 2
          Overall I adored the layout Very cute of Kloie and her Mom.
          Rating 2

Now onto Layout 2 Helping Grandma Celebrate.
          Background- What can I say I love it. Love the colours . Like the strips on the side. Rating 1
          Photos- The photo is a bit dark but with the framing which I love it pops. Rating 2
          Text- Love the text . With the arrow pointing to picture tells the story well.
          Rating 1
          Embellishments - The flowers and corners are perfect for this layout. I like the tags with the numbers .Adds to the story. Rating1
          Overall.- I think I like this one best.Its a great birthday memory.

My friends are Smile, Kimmyann ,Marshalynn, wolvsie35 and Nicole

Comment

• ValerieElaine
            Digi Sage
            • Aug 2008

Michelle - Thank you for this challenge I hate critiquing but I did learn something new. Thank you for that.

My friends are Smile, Kimmyann ,Marshalynn, wolvsie35 and Nicole

Comment

• lemonade6363
              • Aug 2009

Wow Wolvsie...if you were trying to get us outside of our comfort zone, it's working on me...I don't have any problem with others giving me some critique but have never felt qualified to critique someone else's work, but here goes...ready sj3girls? Please understand that I am being very knitpicky because I just love your page and had to really reach to do any kind of critique...LOL...(thanks for reminding me of the scoring scale...I had noticed it but already forgotten...LOL...will use Michelle's here)

1. Background--I love the orange and teal papers together and the texture of your orange stripes. Also the way you brought it to life a little more by using it as a mat for your photos. I might suggest a bluer paper in place of the teal just because of the blues in the pool pic and the chairs...might have popped those colors a little more...on background I give you a 2!
              2. Photos--The photos are all very fun and full of life. The 3rd one down, I'm guessing everyone is watching fireworks, is a little dark, but it's night, right? hehe..I really like how the mat has a bit of an "erased" line at the bottom and each photo looks like it is underlined for a little extra emphasis. Photos get a 1!
              3. Text--I think the text on the lined paper really brings your page all together! It looks like actual handwriting and I think that is really cool. The only thing that was a tiny bit distracting was that it wasn't totally aligned on each line, but I can be a fanatic about precision, which is not always a good thing. Text gets a 2!
              4. Embellishments--Okay, here is some of the knitpicky precision I was talking about...I love your corners and the way you used the screws to anchor them...I am one of those fanatics about bringing it up big so I can see if I have the corner flush with the paper that I am wrapping it around...another nutty thing. I almost couldn't find the arrow...once I did find it, I like how you used it and the size really seems to be appropriate to me. Embellishments = 1!
              5. Overall page design--I love it...I feel that your page told a story...the photos and journaling all pulled the page together nicely and and the backgrounds and corners framed it beautifully...Overall page gets a big, fat 1...that's the best!!! I love it!! Thank you for sharing!!! (Hope I got the scoring numbers right...LOL)
              Proud Marine Mom who loves to scrap those grandsons...and, oh yeah, the rest of the family, too!

Comment

• pmeparker96
                • Oct 2010

Ok, here I go with my attempt. I am still so new to scrapbooking I am not sure what to be specific about.

Mary,

1. BACKGROUND
                When I first saw your page it was vibrant and caught my attention. I thought the solid orange with the stripes was a great combination that really made the page. The background really made the layout unforgettable .

2. PHOTO'S
                I would have loved to see what kind of picture you would have put with the layout, but the texture you subbed in for a photo was complimentary.

3.TEXT (if added)
                There was no text, but didn't need it

4.EMBELLISHMENTS
                I loved the layout of the embellishments. Everything coordinated and was pleasing to the eye.

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN
                As I said before, when I first saw this page I loved the vibrancy, layout and placement of everything. I think most people would enjoy it as I do. It wasn't too cluttered but also wasn't to sparse with 'touches.' Thank you for sharing such wonderful work!

Comment

• pmeparker96
                  • Oct 2010

Thank you for the critique . I love the idea about the blue, something seemed off to me but I couldn't pinpoint it. Going to work on it now lol.

Comment

• wolvsie35
                    MAX! Mastermind
                    • Apr 2007

I am glad this challenge is going so well...<wink> I made a huge oops and I apologize...I posted this thread not too long after my surgery so I will use that as an excuse...lol...
                    Pixy Girl...I guess you have 2 people to make comments on...
                    Pixygirl - you have Edng
                    Pixygirl - you have lemonade

And EDNG is suppose to be Edina...I don't know what happened there...lol...
                    and Tin Tin, I didn't see that I had two people looking at your layout...that was my fault and I apologize....I don't know if I missed anyone then...? Hmmm...I'm sure they will let me know...lol....

Come Sunday, all of you that comment on your said partner will receive my gift...Everyone will get a Flair Button...
                    I am a Designer 4 ScrapbookMax! Check out my STORE...Thanks!

Comment

• makeyesup
                      Digi Sage
                      • Jun 2006

Don't really think I deserve those high marks, though I do agree on the journaling text, it is difficult to read. Don't put yourself down just because you have been at this for a much shorter time than I have been. It's a learning curve for all of us. I've come a long way since I started and still have a long way to go. It really helps the more you look at other people's pages. It's simply called scraplifting when you try their techniques. I've already seen changes on your methods in the short time you have been submitting layouts. And the more challenges you do, the more you challenge yourself.

The black squirrel was a delight to see for me on my trip to Colorado. Love seeing different animals, birds, fishes and mammals when I travel. Usually not directly looking for them and they are a wonderful surprise. Saw a gray squirrel with a very puffy white tail when I was in Canada. Until he stood up, we all thought it was a cute little bunny.

Thanks for the critique.

Originally posted by Rhondarob08 View Post
                      Wow~ how ironic that Maureen's page is on black squirrels. I just moved up here by Omaha and just amazed at how beautiful the black squirrels are. I moved here from Florida, and we didnt have them down there.

Anyway, I kind of feel not worthy to critic Maureen's page. SHe is experienced doing this for years and I have only been at it for about 2 months! So with that said. Here goes:

1. BACKGROUND 1
                      How does the background look? I think it look great!
                      Does it add to or take away from the overall effect of the page?It adds to the overall effect of the page.
                      Does the colors work well together/They work very well together. I think the touch of red is perfectly balanced.
                      Is there enough texture for visual interest? I think there is definately visual interest.

2. PHOTO'S 1
                      Are the photo's in proportion?They are very proportioned to the page.
                      Is the primary photo easy to see?It is very easy to see.
                      Does the colors look balanced?They look very balanced.
                      Are the photo's cropped effectively?Yes they are cropped just right.

3.TEXT (if added) 1
                      Does the title font effect the emotion of the page? The title is great. I like how it used the whole color sceme.
                      Is the journaling wasy to read?I have to admit I had a little difficulty ready the bottom text.
                      Is the amount of text used appropriate for the page?Very appropriate

4.EMBELLISHMENTS 1
                      Do the embellishments fit the page? They are very well proportioned .
                      How is the sizing of the embellishments?The sizing is right on the spot. I like how she used the larger arrow to show where the black squirrel was in the picture
                      Do they compliment the page?They most certainly do.

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN 1
                      Is the page pleasently full but not filled?I think it is very balanced and pleasing.
                      Do you think others enjoy this page?Yes I sure do.
                      Does the page tell a story that's easy to understnad?The page is very clear on what the subject is.

I really like the composition of the page. Adding the touch of red sure does make things pop!

My Buddies - pkdoll, Marion and CraftyScraps

&

Comment

• Daydreamer
                        Layout Whiz
                        • Jan 2010

Michelle, you amaze me with the cool ideas you come up with!! I really enjoyed having feedback on my challenge, so I'll also need to say a GREAT BIG THANK YOU SOOO MUCH to Sj3girls for taking the time to do such a great job at this!! She gave such fabulous feedback I wish I could tuck her away in my pocket so I can get her opinion while I’m scrapping my next few layouts too!
                        Sj3girls, you gave me some great ideas! I really loved your “Happy Birthday” overlay idea. As for my pic - I didn’t crop it, I was sitting at the table opposite them when I took this pic, that’s why it’s came out that way . . . I don’t know if you noticed the staples on the edge on the right, I was planning on doing a matching page (making this part 1 of a double pager) so I could include either some journalling or a few more pics (at least 1 with me and another with the Spur team at the table singing their birthday song) . . . I also agree fully about the photo corner. . . I really like this one, but because of the frayed edge, it does look pretty “odd”. Perhaps if I added another layer below the white so that it has a teal/green or brown border around it, just enough to notice, it might work?!!? I'll have to fiddle and see.

Now for Frannie . . . I really liked your choice of colours and how your selected embies that coomplimented it.

1. BACKGROUND (2) where 1 means excellent and 5 needs work
                        I really liked your textured background and the colour goes well with the flowers and other paper and embies.

2. PHOTO'S (2)
                        I really like your pic and it’s easy to see, but I think the big flowers at the bottom draw a bit too much attention away from it. The feathery leaf while a nice touch, also seems to take away from the pic as it goes over the little baby.

Does the colors look balanced? (3)
                        Yes, I think so. I might however have lightened the dark grey flower, so that the colour is a closer match with the corner.. I think the photo's cropped are cropped well, nothing pulls your eye from the 2 people / focal point.

3.TEXT (N/A) - None added
                        4.EMBELLISHMENTS (3) The string, staple and arrow embellishments fit the colour scheme well, and their size is appropriate. The flowers are a bit big and the sharp grey and white ones overpower the rest of the layout. I really liked the idea/visual effect of the staple holding the 2 matting squares together.

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN (2)
                        Yes, the page is pleasantly full and would be enjoyed by others. A title or journalling
                        would have assisted in telling the story.

Comment

• Frannieanne
                          • Oct 2010

Thanks for the critque, I left the flowers, but weren't satified with them.

Comment

• Kimmyann
                            Scrap Guru
                            • Mar 2009

Wolvsie this is HARD!!!!

Here Goes KSD (Kel)

1. BACKGROUND 2
                            How does the background look?I Like this Background, it makes the Pictures Pop out.
                            Does it add to or take away from the overall effect of the page? I think the Back ground adds to the effect of the Page
                            Does the colors work well together/
                            Is there enough texture for visual interest? I do think the colors work well and the texture works

2. PHOTO'S 2
                            Are the photo's in proportion? I think the Pictures are a nice proportion
                            Is the primary photo easy to see? Yes
                            Does the colors look balanced? Yes
                            Are the photo's cropped effectively? I think they are cropped to focus your eyes on the girls
                            Too dark or light? Color is good

3.TEXT (if added) 2
                            Does the title font effect the emotion of the page? I like the font for the Title, it looks girlie!!
                            Is the journaling wasy to read? Names are good, not journaling
                            Is the amount of text used appropriate for the page? Yes

4.EMBELLISHMENTS 2
                            Do the embellishments fit the page? Yes, not to big, not too small
                            How is the sizing of the embellishments? Good size
                            Do they compliment the page? Yes, it helps to show the page is about the girls

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN 2
                            Is the page pleasently full but not filled? Yes
                            Do you think others enjoy this page? I hope so, it a Nice Lay out
                            Does the page tell a story that's easy to understnad? Yes, the Girls are Cousins

I am sorry if you wanted something Negative, But I Love the Layout!!! The girls in the photos Look like Happy Cousins. They can Look back on this when they get older and remember this get together.

Kel, I gave you all 2s..... We all know if we all had the exact items from your page we could all come up with a different Layouts, due to all our different taste..... I can't fault no one for that, its Call Nature....LOL I Love the Layout, You Keep it up Girl!!!!
                            Last edited by Kimmyann; 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM.
                            Hugs!!

Comment

• sj3girls
                              • Dec 2009

Daydreamer...you crack me up! Glad you liked the feedback (whew!). And if I could fit in a pocket I just might let you take me and put me in one! ROFL!!! Good idea on putting another layer under the frayed piece...I think that would look wonderful. And maybe (or maybe not) see how it'd look making the corner cluster bigger?

Lemonade...thanks for the feedback! Great idea on the blue mat to match the photos instead of teal! Where were you last week when I was pulling my hair out to get a good color for that silly mat?! LOL! I really had the hardest time with it. When all that time all I had to do was eye dropper the swimming pool! (*smacking my head)

Thanks for the tips on the embellishments and the dark photo. I looked at it again and I bet I could lighten that pic up a bit. With the corners I tried to make them look like metal brackets holding the mat (and maybe look like you could physically pull the mat out and slide something else in there). Oh and yes! You're so right about the words not being lined up on that paper. I need to go back in and adjust it some more. Thanks again for the great feedback! I appreciate it and I didn't think you were being knitpicky.
                              ~ sj3girls ~

Comment

• Kimmyann
                                Scrap Guru
                                • Mar 2009

Thanks Val!!! I totally AGREE about the Corners!!!! They are very overwhelming, and I didn't like them when I did it...

Thanks for the Critquing!!!! Muwah!!!

Originally posted by ValerieElaine View Post
                                Kimmyann- I am not that great on critiquing-, but here goes.
                                You did 2 layouts so you're really making me work.

Layout One- Khloie on the Porch

Background - The colours work well together and add to the overall look to the page.Love the paper shape Rating 1
                                Photos - The photo is a little dark. I probably would have made it just a
                                little larger. Rating 2
                                Text - Easy to read Rating 2
                                Embellishments. - The corners are just a bit too bright for me draws your eye to them not the picture Maybe a dusty green? more like the green in the stripes same for the arrow More like the darker colour in the flower. Loved what you did with the frame,staples ,string and flowers.
                                Rating 2
                                Overall I adored the layout Very cute of Kloie and her Mom.
                                Rating 2

Now onto Layout 2 Helping Grandma Celebrate.
                                Background- What can I say I love it. Love the colours . Like the strips on the side. Rating 1
                                Photos- The photo is a bit dark but with the framing which I love it pops. Rating 2
                                Text- Love the text . With the arrow pointing to picture tells the story well.
                                Rating 1
                                Embellishments - The flowers and corners are perfect for this layout. I like the tags with the numbers .Adds to the story. Rating1
                                Overall.- I think I like this one best.Its a great birthday memory.
                                Hugs!!

Comment

Working...
                                X