+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Molly51, here is your critique.

1. BACKGROUND - 4

Great background, I like the cool tone which is easy on the eye and it works well with the lined notebook pages. It has a nice texture and suggests a masculine tone.

2. PHOTOS
    N/A

3.TEXT
    N/A

4.EMBELLISHMENTS - 3

I love the flower that you have chosen. It lifts your page and gives it life. I've noticed that people avoid using flowers on masculine layouts but I think men like flowers too! The colour of the flower compliments the neutral scheme and gives it a vibrancy without which the page might be bland.

I like the arrow placed to draw attention to the photo, although I am not sure about the colour and without seeing a photo in place its difficult to judge. I think I might have used green to pick up the leaves, but thatís just me.

I really like the way that you have used the string, it gives a great effect and pulls the separate elements together.

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN 4

This was a very difficult page to critique; as there was no photo it was difficult to put the design into a specific context. I can't fault you for that because I can see that you did exactly what you were asked to do. However, its very hard to say what your personal style is, because your page lacks the intimacy of a photograph or journaling.

That said, I like your design very much. It has simplicity but its very funky. The layout clearly lends itself toward a male focus photo. There isn't much room for journaling but then some photos tell the story for themselves.

I like the colours - they are cool (rather than hot) but the flower gives warmth and I find that very appealing.

My only reservation is that your page has a lot going on in it and it could look a little busy once your photo is in place, but that remains to be seen.

Finally, here are some questions I would like to ask you:

What photo would you use in this layout?
    Would you include any journaling or a title?
    If you did, what font might you choose?
    Where would you put your text?

Many blessings - FS xx
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

I walk on a rainbow trail
    I walk on a trail of song
    And all around me is beauty ~ Navajo Song

Linda, thank you so much for your well thought out critique. I have found it very useful.

First, I would have to agree, the font I chose is slightly fuzzy to read. This may be to do with the upload process, but is certainly something to bear in mind when chosing fonts for the internet and something I need to be more aware of. I am a total font freak!

Secondly, I think you are right about the flower colour and when I have a moment I shall recolour the flower to see the difference. You spotted that I was trying to pick up the colour of Scarlet's leggies, but it was perhaps unecessary.

Michelle this has been such a fun challenge and very helpful. We can all learn so much from each other and having a constructive critique and honest opinion is very welcome.

Brightest blessings - FS xxx
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

This is such a cool challenge, I keep reading ppls comments, going back to the previous thread to view the other person's lo again and getting what the other person is saying - so we're learning a lot not only from our own Lo's but others as well - very cool idea!
    There's just one thing though.. that I just caught myself and I think everyone that has already gave a critic doing.. we're rating 5 as best and 1 as worst.. and I just rea-read Wolvsie's rating system - it's the other way around.. Whoops! But I guess with the comments beside, we all get the gist of the rating!
    I went back to your LO Tin Tin and I just wanted to add one more thing to the general LO part - I always click on Print preview before I save my last copy 'cause sometimes it just gives you a better picture than that of your scrapmax screen. If you were to print that one out, you'd have a lot more open space at the top of your page than the bottom. It might have been on purpose, but I would have centered it a bit more.. That's it Keep up the good work!! You're doing awesome and by the looks of your scrapbook album on FB - you're officially as addicted at the rest of us!!

Default prmeparker

1. BACKGROUND-4.5 I like the way you put the background and embellishments together. I would like a little blue in background to match shirt in photo

2. PHOTO'S-4 would like to see the photo a little lighter, especially on the right side.

3.TEXT (if added)-4 I liked the placement of the text, just a little dark on the back ground.

4.EMBELLISHMENTS-5 I love the way you placed your embellishments. The arrow is great. I had trouble finding a place that I liked my arrow. I love the newspaper corners.

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN-4.5 very personable, the setup seems to fit the child in the photograph. It seems to accent his personality.

Red face

There's just one thing though.. that I just caught myself and I think everyone that has already gave a critic doing.. we're rating 5 as best and 1 as worst.. and I just rea-read Wolvsie's rating system - it's the other way around.. Whoops! But I guess with the comments beside, we all get the gist of the rating!
    Ooops! Well spotted! I guess we all assumed (and you know what ASSUME does )

So Molly, I will just confirm my intent to give you a high mark not a low mark!

BB - FS xx

Don't mind critiquing and don't mind hearing comments on my layouts, just don't like rating, so TinTin, I'm going to try and skip that part. However, figured I'd add my comments with Kel's so you could see them together. One thing though, I want lunch too............
    Maureen

Quote Originally Posted by ksd_24_f View Post
    K, so I'll go first... - and she was supposed to make me lunch tomorrow...hmmmmmm wonder if that'll still be happening! LOL
    BACKGROUND - 4 Only because I'm not a big fan of corners and I'm not huge on the color contrast between the orange and the grey - but I like the orange striped paper you used, I find it compliments the pictures.
    Think a different color on the background would have been a better contrast for the photo matting and colors in the photos. Or maybe a deeper shadow on the photo matting papers where they meet the background. I'm not a big fan of corners either, so difficult to comment on those.

PHOTO'S- 5 Working with a GORGEOUS subject, the pictures are clear and totally adorable. Well cropped, good lighting
    Love the cute photos, would have reversed them to obtain the head raising sequence. Like the white border on the bottom photo, it gives it more depth. As Kel stated in the other comments, would probably have either moved the top photo up to coordinate with the placement of the bottom one or moved them together in the middle.

TEXT - 3 I find the wording is beautiful, tells the story well - but it's a bit too fuzzy. I would try a different font and maybe not a textured print.
    Agree with above, possible even a white color of both fonts would have stood out better.

EMBELLISHMENTS - 4 this one is hard to rate, because we were limited with the embellishments we were allowed to use. I love the way you used them, good shadowing and well placed, but the flowers don't quite go with the pictures. - But again, if you were allowed to use a car or some ABC blocks or some boy toys.. it would fit the LO better.
    Agree on the flowers too, would have probably only used one on the right and left the top left open with the name only. Possibly added a date in the top left corner and eliminated the two corners on the right. Stars are an awesome touch to accent the main photo.

OVERALL PAGE DESIGN - 4 - I really like the LO - I think you're doing a fantastic job! And you'll just get better and better as you join us on these fun challenges!
    Love the theme of the layout and basically the layout of the layout.

soo, I'll take a grill cheese with chicken noodle soup??... ha ha - See you at noon!
    Think the numbers were reversed as Kel was another person that figured the higher the number the better the rating. So if we change the 4s and 5s to 1s and 2s, I'd probably go along with Kel's rating, since Michelle would holler at me for not rating.

Did I miss lunch?

Kel
    Last edited by makeyesup; 11-17-2010 at 06:03 AM.

My Buddies - pkdoll, Marion and CraftyScraps

&

Okay, everyone to my house for grill cheese and chicken noodle soup! lol. Seriously though Kel - I do not remember today being our soup day.
    I appreciate all the comments - especially the print preview - I had no idea that there was spacing there that should not have been. I find this so much fun, and yes, very addictive, but it is great to hear back from you girls since I am still really just learning.
    I have to agree with Kelly, I keep flipping back and forth from one to the other to see people's comments versus thier picture. That too helps me learn. Great challenge....

Okay Linda - here goes. I did my best, but am not completely familiar with the 'scrapbook' guidelines....tee, hee, hee.

1. BACKGROUND – 4 - love the background. Great use of shape and colour - probably some of my favorite colours

2. PHOTO'S – 3 – Excellent subject matter. I would personally have made the pictures bigger, or atleast one of them They seem a little small, and it took me a second glance or two to realize there was a piano there. could just be blind.

3. TEXT - 4 –Excellent choice of colours and wording, easily read and seen, although they seem a little big in comparison to the pictures.

4. EMBELLISHMENTS – 5 – absolutely love the embellishments Especially the bubble as the circle. Takes away from the femininity of the flower. Is that even a word?) lol.

5. OVERALL PAGE DESIGN – 4 – aside from the pictures seeming a little small it is really a great overall page design. Good job Linda. I have a tendency of really enjoying your layouts. Thank you.

Default "Black Squirrel" by Maureen

Wow~ how ironic that Maureen's page is on black squirrels. I just moved up here by Omaha and just amazed at how beautiful the black squirrels are. I moved here from Florida, and we didnt have them down there.

Anyway, I kind of feel not worthy to critic Maureen's page. SHe is experienced doing this for years and I have only been at it for about 2 months! So with that said. Here goes:

1. BACKGROUND 1
    How does the background look? I think it look great!
    Does it add to or take away from the overall effect of the page?It adds to the overall effect of the page.
    Does the colors work well together/They work very well together. I think the touch of red is perfectly balanced.
    Is there enough texture for visual interest? I think there is definately visual interest.

2. PHOTO'S 1
    Are the photo's in proportion?They are very proportioned to the page.
    Is the primary photo easy to see?It is very easy to see.
    Does the colors look balanced?They look very balanced.
    Are the photo's cropped effectively?Yes they are cropped just right.

3.TEXT (if added) 1
    Does the title font effect the emotion of the page? The title is great. I like how it used the whole color sceme.
    Is the journaling wasy to read?I have to admit I had a little difficulty ready the bottom text.
    Is the amount of text used appropriate for the page?Very appropriate

4.EMBELLISHMENTS 1
    Do the embellishments fit the page? They are very well proportioned .
    How is the sizing of the embellishments?The sizing is right on the spot. I like how she used the larger arrow to show where the black squirrel was in the picture
    Do they compliment the page?They most certainly do.

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN 1
    Is the page pleasently full but not filled?I think it is very balanced and pleasing.
    Do you think others enjoy this page?Yes I sure do.
    Does the page tell a story that's easy to understnad?The page is very clear on what the subject is.

I really like the composition of the page. Adding the touch of red sure does make things pop!

Kimmyann- I am not that great on critiquing-, but here goes.
    You did 2 layouts so you're really making me work.

Layout One- Khloie on the Porch

Background - The colours work well together and add to the overall look to the page.Love the paper shape Rating 1
    Photos - The photo is a little dark. I probably would have made it just a
    little larger. Rating 2
    Text - Easy to read Rating 2
    Embellishments. - The corners are just a bit too bright for me draws your eye to them not the picture Maybe a dusty green? more like the green in the stripes same for the arrow More like the darker colour in the flower. Loved what you did with the frame,staples ,string and flowers.
    Rating 2
    Overall I adored the layout Very cute of Kloie and her Mom.
    Rating 2

Now onto Layout 2 Helping Grandma Celebrate.
    Background- What can I say I love it. Love the colours . Like the strips on the side. Rating 1
    Photos- The photo is a bit dark but with the framing which I love it pops. Rating 2
    Text- Love the text . With the arrow pointing to picture tells the story well.
    Rating 1
    Embellishments - The flowers and corners are perfect for this layout. I like the tags with the numbers .Adds to the story. Rating1
    Overall.- I think I like this one best.Its a great birthday memory.
    My friends are Smile, Kimmyann ,Marshalynn, wolvsie35 and Nicole

Michelle - Thank you for this challenge I hate critiquing but I did learn something new. Thank you for that.
    My friends are Smile, Kimmyann ,Marshalynn, wolvsie35 and Nicole