X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Libbyferris31
    • Aug 2010

Template tutoring??

I have absolutely no clue how to get the templates to work. I get the idea of it being a layout that we can fill in with our own choice of papers and embells but when I pull a template up, it wont let me click on the individual spaces. Just hold it as if it was a gray sheet of paper.
    -Can templates be used from other sites or just SM with the SM program?
    -Do I need to place them in a certain file to be able to get them to open properly?

I feel like I am missing something obvious but I have tried everything I could think of.

Help?
  • Libbyferris31
    • Aug 2010

I'm guessing no one can help me?

Comment

• makeyesup
      Digi Sage
      • Jun 2006

The only type of templates that work with ScrapbookMax is those with extensions of .smt. Those that are made for PSE or PSP, with .psd extension do not work in this program.

Have a feeling you were trying to use a .psd template in the Scrapbook Max program and that' why you could not do anything with it.

If the designer who made the .psd template also gives you all the individual .png files, then those can be used with papers as a shape.

My Buddies - pkdoll, Marion and CraftyScraps

&

Comment

• Carena
        Digi Sage
        • Jun 2007

Second the above - PSD templates won't work in Max Software. If they supply the png's for it, they can be converted to shapes in Max software but it's a little complicated for a newbie. They have to be converted into black and white and saved.
        Kind wishes from Carena
        Scrapbook Max Digital Designer
        Visit me in the store Here also grab my blinkie if you wish.

Comment

• makeyesup
          Digi Sage
          • Jun 2006

Carena, I've used the .pngs as shapes even when they are in other colors. Think that might have been another one of the marvelous improvements in SBM. Don't have to convert them anymore.

My Buddies - pkdoll, Marion and CraftyScraps

&

Comment

• Carena
            Digi Sage
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by makeyesup View Post
            Carena, I've used the .pngs as shapes even when they are in other colors. Think that might have been another one of the marvelous improvements in SBM. Don't have to convert them anymore.
            Oh really - Didn't know that - thanks for the telling me. Hugs.
            Kind wishes from Carena
            Scrapbook Max Digital Designer
            Visit me in the store Here also grab my blinkie if you wish.

Comment

• Libbyferris31
              • Aug 2010

Thank you so much!! At least now I know

Comment

• KapiScrap
                Scrap Guru
                • Jun 2010

Hello!

I haven't look at the forum at this section to convert my templates in the SBM format. I was almost sure that the use of the png files was the only solution.

OK. I have recreated my template and export it as a SBM file...

But now I want to test it (the exported file) but I have no idea how to load it in SBM :-) I'm not very fond of templates. I'd like to create my own ones.

My idea is to convert some of the ones I have to offer them.

So if someone could tell me how to load it? I'm trying to load the .sbm file (the result of my export...) but perhaps I should simply use my page in the project (I mean the one on which I have opened the png files)??? and I'm also I'm looking for someone to test my templates in SBM before sharing them :-)

Thanks!

KapiColors
                KapiScrap ScrapbookMAX store

Comment

• Lorne
                  Super Moderator
                  • Jan 2006

Scrapbook MAX! 2.0 templates are .sm2t files, not .sbm files.

SBM files are the the original project files.

When you export an album as a template, it will create a .sm2t file and a screenshot.jpg file. You can install a template by double-clicking on that .sm2t file.

(When you export a template, it's automatically installed for you, so you don't have to double-click on it after you export it.)

Installed templates show up as themes when you create a new album in Scrapbook MAX, for example by choosing "Create a new project" in the welcome screen, or by choosing File > New from the program menu.
                  Lorne ( )
                  Scrapbook MAX! Software Developer

Comment

• KapiScrap
                    Scrap Guru
                    • Jun 2010

Sure. I meant SBM files, not the extension :-) I've found it in the list of themes.

I do believe that if my template doesn't work properly it's because I have added the png files on the page as I would add embellishments and then resize them...

And the correct way to do that is to add paper scrap and choose the shape (I mean the png file). Is it correct?

But if I perform this way I lose the position of my shapes on the pages? I wanted to "automate" the conversion :-)

Thank you for your advices.

Comment

• Lorne
                      Super Moderator
                      • Jan 2006

If your template consists of PNG files the entire size of the page (e.g. 2400x2400 pixels) then you should really crop them before adding them to SBM as embellishments.

You can perform the cropping in SBM, however in the current version (2.0.5.1) doing so will dramatically reduce the quality of those embellishments when optimized during exporting, because of the dramatic difference in size between the cropped object and the original image file (which is mostly blank transparent space).

In the next update to SBM, the "Optimize embellishments" feature will permanently apply any cropping that has been done to embellishments, so you will be able to perform the cropping within SBM with no problems when you export to a template. However I'd still recommend cropping the image files externally.
                      Lorne ( )

Comment

• KapiScrap
                        Scrap Guru
                        • Jun 2010

Lorne,

Thanks for your help. Then if I summarize it's better to build from scratch the template in Scrapbook MAX! and not to try to use png files at the size of the page. That's OK. It's how I've made my template.

Now I have another question...

I can remove photos... but is there a way to remove the paper scraps? ie the papers on the shapes :-)

Thanks for your patience.

Comment

• Lorne
                          Super Moderator
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by KapiColors View Post
                          I can remove photos... but is there a way to remove the paper scraps? ie the papers on the shapes :-)
                          Not from within the program, but it is possible in a kind of tricky way...you have to edit the XML data in the project itself.

I'm not sure why you'd want someone to be able to select a paper scrap instead of a photo, but I've made a small tool you can use if you want to strip the image from a paper scrap.

I just threw this together in 5 minutes so no guarantees. You might want to make a backup of your project first before you use this.

To use it:
                          1. Select the paper scrap that you want to clear the image from. Make sure there is only one paper scrap selected!
                          2. Choose Edit > Cut (or press Ctrl+X). This will put the object's XML data into the clipboard.
                          3. Run the attached program. It will modify the XML data in the clipboard. THERE IS NO WAY TO UNDO THIS.
                          4. Return to Scrapbook MAX! and choose Edit > Paste (or press Ctrl+V). If everything worked, this will put the object back onto the page with the pattern image removed.

Hopefully this won't ruin your project or start random fires in your sock drawer but if it does it's not my fault. Proceed at your own risk.
                          Attached Files
                          Lorne ( )

Comment

• KapiScrap
                            Scrap Guru
                            • Jun 2010

Hi Lorne!

If I ask it's only because if I share a template I want to be sure that it won't include papers from additional kits (provided as an option) or external kits that I'm not allowed to share.

The other solution would be to use only the papers provided with the SBM license but I'm not sure to know which ones they are :-)

I could make a try of your tool. But before I would make a copy of the project by "safety" :-)

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• KapiScrap
                              Scrap Guru
                              • Jun 2010

Hi!

My very last question.
                              I have then created a template from my "own" paper scraps.
                              Then if I provide the .sm2t file... will have the users to save it in the proper directory ie C:\Users\username\Documents\Scrapbook MAX! 2.0\Templates
                              or they can save it on the desktop and a simple double click on the .sm2t file will intall it in this directory
                              C:\Users\username\Documents\Scrapbook MAX! 2.0\Templates
                              ?

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Working...
                              X