+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How do I learn how to make great layouts?

I have never done scrapbooking (in real life) before. I have started playing around with the SBM 2.0 trial (I have 1.0 but wanted to see if I should upgrade), and I know how to use the program itself. I have played with just about every feature there and tweaked things all over the place.

Now that I know how to use the tool, how do I come up with great layouts? Where do I start? I feel like I am cheating if I just use a template and load in pictures and text. I want to be able to either tweak the template-initiated pages, or start from scratch, and actually come up with some nice results. I feel like there are TOO MANY possiblities and I don't know where to start. Are there any suggestions about how to use embellishments? How much to put on a page? What stuff should overlap and what shouldn't? I suspect the answer is "it's all up to you", but I wish I had some direction...

Oh, and I installed my SMB 2.0 trial on a system that already had SBM 1.0 and it didn't load all of my gallery stuff into the 2.0 gallery from the 1.0 gallery. Is this something that will only happen once I purchase 2.0?

Thank you!
    Cindy in Reno, NV

Maybe you should look on the web for some page maps or grey scale templates. In those it gives an idea of a layout but you choose the papers, embellies and ect. I have used these a number of times just to get me started. On some sights you can even look for them by the number of pics you want to use.

Have fun and Happy scrapping.

Julie

Question

page maps or grey scale templates

Thanks for the suggestion, Julie, but I am not sure what these are? Will it be obvious from an Internet search? Should I include "scrapbook" in the search terms with these?

Thank you!
    Cindy in Reno, NV

Hi - My best advise is to learn to scraplift (that is find a simple layout you like in the gallery and try doing something similar to it ).
    I've tryed to find something more simply in my gallery - mine probably isn't the best to look thru if you are looking for simple layout - LOL I like it complicated I'm afraid. But here are some examples.

With the below layouts - you can see I've used the same shape each time but with different kits. It's a great way to practise and experiment. Each time you can come up with something that looks quite different. Each person has their own style, it's something you develop with time. Don't think that by scraplifting that is is copying because it is always different unless you do with exactly the same kit and place elements the same and then that would be straight copy.

Anyway - hope this helps you.

Kind wishes from Carena
    Scrapbook Max Digital Designer
    Visit me in the store Here also grab my blinkie if you wish.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Here is the shape I used. Just place it your shape folder - you can find it here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Scrapbook MAX! 2.0\Gallery\Images\Shapes\My Shapes

It will be available in the Max version 2 program then.

I've tryed to keep the layout more simple in this one. But certainly give it a go. I'd love to see what you come up with - or anyone else that would like to give it a go.
    Enjoy

click attachment and then right click to save - into your shape file direct if you wish and then no need to move it later.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Carena; 05-26-2010 at 05:16 AM.
    Kind wishes from Carena

Wow, so THAT'S how to use the shapes! I have been using them with paper scraps to create embellishments - like little things. I had never though of using them as layout designs for the background of the page! Way cool!

And, I just figured out how to create my own shapes (using a Microsoft designer tool) and put them in a shapes folder for SBM! Now I can create truly ANY shape I ever want! I'm so excited!

Thank you SO MUCH, Carena!

BTW, are you the same Carena that I got a free file from on DigiDesignResort? I got a great package of stuff called Natural Breeze!
    Cindy in Reno, NV

Carena,

How do you put a white border around your pictures (like the picture in the second sample above?) Do you have to do that with 2 layers and group them together as one?
    Cindy in Reno, NV

Quote Originally Posted by RobMikeMom View Post
    Carena,

How do you put a white border around your pictures (like the picture in the second sample above?) Do you have to do that with 2 layers and group them together as one?
    The photo I used was one I'd had emailed to me and already had border - however if you have a photo with no border - you'd need to have another white shape the same size as photo - place it behind you photo and enlarge slightly and add shadows. I think that would work fine and give same effect. IN my case - use the white one twice and enlarge again with shadow for double look as in my layout.
    There are ways and means around everything - just takes some thought as to how to do it.

OH and I'll be looking for your layout using my shape - can't wait to see how it goes.
    and Yes - shapes are your best friend in doing layouts - papers can be made into any shape etc add's alot to a kit - papers then aren't just flat square papers but any shape you want.

BTW, are you the same Carena that I got a free file from on DigiDesignResort? I got a great package of stuff called Natural Breeze!
    yes - that's me at resort. Hope you got my beach freebie in store right now.
    Last edited by Carena; 05-26-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Kind wishes from Carena

Hope you got my beach freebie in store right now.
    I can't find the beach freebie. I got the Natural Breeze pack for signing up for your newsletter. Where would I find the beach one?
    Cindy in Reno, NV

OK, I found a MyBeach Sampler through the forums on your site. I downloaded that. I can't believe the amount of time you must put into creating all of these packs/kits! They are really beautiful!
    Cindy in Reno, NV