• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheFreeSpirit
    Layout Whiz
    • Jan 2008

Full justification

It would be absolutely fabulous if we could format journal text with full justification.

Blessings - FS xx
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

I walk on a rainbow trail
    I walk on a trail of song
    And all around me is beauty ~ Navajo Song
  • MaggieMae
    Digi Sage
    • May 2006

Originally posted by TheFreeSpirit View Post
    It would be absolutely fabulous if we could format journal text with full justification.

Blessings - FS xx
    Yes!!! I think I requested it a long time ago - it would be wonderful for journaling!
    Julie

Comment

• MrsPeel
      • Feb 2009

exciuse my ignorance, but....
      what is full justification?
      I wanted to go out and change the world, but couldn't find a babysitter..

I came and they follow: my sisters are Scrapaholicsherry & akela- My wonderful & talented friends are dillie1-eye-kimmyann-lemonade6363-sylvia esther & wolvsie35

Comment

• MaggieMae
        Digi Sage
        • May 2006

Full justification is when you can have both sides of your text even all the way down a column. That isn't a very good explanation - you know how the left side of the text always starts at the same place - in full justification the right side of the text always ends in the same place. In lots of instances it makes the text look better on the page. Hope that helps - your question was a good one!!
        Julie

Comment

• MrsPeel
          • Feb 2009

I think I get it....
          and yes, if it's what I think, it allways looks better...

I came and they follow: my sisters are Scrapaholicsherry & akela- My wonderful & talented friends are dillie1-eye-kimmyann-lemonade6363-sylvia esther & wolvsie35

Comment

• TheFreeSpirit
            Layout Whiz
            • Jan 2008

Hi

exciuse my ignorance, but....
            No apologies necessary, questions are always a good thing and we are all learning.

Fully justified text, as MaggieMae ably explained, is when the text is pulled into line at both margins. Now on a wide piece of text this usually looks a lot more modern, punchy and neat.

BUT and this is a big but, on narrow columns it will NOT look great.

This is because in order to make the text straight at both edges, the gaps in between words are literally stretched to make the text fit into a certain shape. The effect of this is sometimes called a 'white river'.

Click on the 2 screenshots and you should see what I mean.

On the first screen shot you can see that the right hand text column looks great.

Click on the second shot and you will see gaps appearing all down the page.

This effect is further complicated by two other influences:
            1. The length of the individual words of your journalling
            2. Whether you are using proportionally spaced fonts* (like Arial) or traditional typewriter style fonts (like Courier).

* in proportional spacing, the letters take up different amounts of room on the line, to make them look more attractive and easier to read

Ooops, sorry, did I go on a bit.

Blessings - FS xx
            Attached Files
            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

I walk on a rainbow trail
            I walk on a trail of song
            And all around me is beauty ~ Navajo Song

Comment

• MaggieMae
              Digi Sage
              • May 2006

What an awesome explanation, FS!! I hate the ugly rivers of white, too, when you justify in a narrow column but love full justifcation for wider spaces! Loved your examples - I've seen examples of the big white gaps in the newspaper!
              Julie

Comment

• MrsPeel
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by TheFreeSpirit View Post

Ooops, sorry, did I go on a bit.

Blessings - FS xx
                no, this is a great explanation....
                I said it always looks better because of the lenght of my journaling...I just didn't think, or was thinking a bit egotistically (if such word exist! LOL)

but it makes sense and it's true, visually in narrow columns it doesn't work.

by the way: LOVE your nickname..

Comment

• optogDow73
                  • Oct 2009

Full justification

I noticed the other day that my messages page says 45 messages, 90 full. I deleted some, but that didn't change. I can only see 10 inbox and 9 outbox. WTF?

Comment

Working...
                  X