• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Granny
    MAX! Mastermind
    • Mar 2006

Video vs writen

I'm curious were you individually stand on the controversy of video tutorials versus writen tutorials.

Each method has it's own followers, and as with every thing, it's own advantages and disadvantages. Me, I prefer writen for many reasons.

I would really appreciate it if you would take a minute and tell me which method you prefer and why. Thank you so much for your time and help.

sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

• O2BNGdHope
    Digi Sage
    • Nov 2007

I like the written tuts with screen shots included. I like being able to print it out and keep it in files but sometimes I can't always find what the tut calls for and the screen shots help me to find it.
    Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

Comment

• Granny
      MAX! Mastermind
      • Mar 2006

Thank you, Mellanie. This really helps. Now, if I can get the other 23 people to comment, rather than just looking, it would be really cool!!!!

sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Comment

• TheFreeSpirit
        Layout Whiz
        • Jan 2008

Hi Granny

As an ex lecturer I find your question very interesting!

Personally I like a well written tutorial. I will attempt to say why this is my preference:
        • It allows me to go at my own pace, stopping and revisiting things to fully assimilate the information.
        • Quite often when I am learning something new (currently Real Draw) I will stop and go over it several times in different ways, to make sure I fully understand.
        • I learn best through experience. Watching a video is not experiential - going through a tutorial while using your program is.
        • A video doesn't give me the opportunity to work through a process myself - it demonstrates it. Demonstration is great for showing specific processes, but for actually learning a skill you need to get hands on - and you can't get hands on while watching a video.
        • A well written tutorial can have bullet points that allow me to work through each process as I read it - one hand following the text, one on the mouse.
        • I can print the tutorial to read and use again and again.

I hope this helps. If I think of anything else I'll pop back in.

Love Freespirit (one granny to another )
        Last edited by TheFreeSpirit; 09-12-2009, 03:50 AM.
        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

I walk on a rainbow trail
        I walk on a trail of song
        And all around me is beauty ~ Navajo Song

Comment

• PixyGirl
          • Aug 2008

I think everyone learns differently - one way that is easy for one person is difficult for another. I like the idea of pictures and written tuts. I am definitely a visual person.

Comment

• Granny
            MAX! Mastermind
            • Mar 2006

Thank you girls for your imput. As you know, I write written tutorials, but was wondering if I should change to video. But I agree with FreeSpirit, written tutorials allow you to go at a lower pace and assimilate the steps while doing them. I can never keep up with video tutorials.

Any more comments are most welcomed, please!!!!
            sigpic

Comment

• *eng*
              MAX! Mastermind
              • Apr 2006

I'm with Melanie on this one Granny, like to print out and have screen shots. My little brain has a recall problem and I would never be able to retain the information in a video.
              My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

Comment

• juliescraps
                Layout Whiz
                • Aug 2007

I like written with the screen shots so I can go at my pace instead of rewatching something over and over again. Also there are still some of us dial up users out there that the video just doesn't work well enough.

Comment

• wolvsie35
                  MAX! Mastermind
                  • Apr 2007

I like wriitten one's as well Grams....Like everyone else says, I can go at my own pace...I find pictures to help as I don't unerstand all the computer lingo sometimes...*I need to be taught like I am a kindergarten student sometimes* LOL...This is wy, I look for visual aids in tutorials...Good luck and I wouldn't change a thing...
                  Maybe you should consider both to help the ones that use video...<wink>
                  I am a Designer 4 ScrapbookMax! Check out my STORE...Thanks!

Comment

• fourfoxes
                    Digi Sage
                    • Oct 2007

Granny I love written tuts including photos. You do great with yours! Videos move too fast and I miss things. That's my opinion.

Debby
                    My buddies are Granny, Wolvsie35, angelwithin, twpclerk, moonlightpearl, Vanessa, Wickel, Smile, Eye and Pink Lollipop

Comment

• KPierce
                      Layout Whiz
                      • Nov 2007

Don't shoot me Granny...I like both.
                      My buddy is GrannyWin.
                      My sister, my friend, Laurie016. My daughter, mortonmomof2.

Comment

• MaggieMae
                        Digi Sage
                        • May 2006

I definitely like written tutorials with screenshots!! Yours are the best, Granny, and I miss them!!
                        Julie

Comment

• Granny
                          MAX! Mastermind
                          • Mar 2006

Thank you all for your comments. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that prefers written. Karen, I won't shoot you. I'm glad you can follow videos, but I have never been too good with them.

I'm contemplating a big project, but since it's not related to Max, I am not able to discuss it here. I do thank you all, and promise to let you know what happens.

sigpic

Comment

• sacannon
                            MAX! Mastermind
                            • Aug 2006

Video's are nice, but I like everyone else have my own pace for learning. Sometimes I have to retry something over and over which is hard to do if you are watching a video. I also try to keep the printed copies for future reference (If I can remember where I put them) LOL
                            [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][IMG]

Comment

• leafroberts
                              • Sep 2006

Written Please

I also prefer the written tutorials because I can refer to them when I need to use them.
                              Leaf

Comment

Working...
                              X