• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marnie
    • Jan 2006

Chocolate Fondue anyone??

Hello everyone,

A few years ago, we received a nice chocolate fondue set with some chocolate as a gift (great gift idea, isn't it?) Anyway, we used it for a wee while until the chocolate ran out. While I was packing, I 'rediscovered' the set.

Here's my probably ignorant question: can you just use regular chocolate, or is there special fondue chocolate I should buy?

Thanks for the input fellow chocolate lovers!
    Marnie
  • OnieRN
    Scrap Guru
    • May 2006

Hey Marnie

I am the fondue queen. Is yours electric or with a candle? I have an electric one and we have a family tradition. Every Christmas Eve and on New Year's Day. We have a fondue dinner. I heat up olive oil or peanut oil. Prepare chunks of raw meat on a platter. (steak, chicken, shrimp & Pork) we have several side dishes and cook our little chucks of meats. Nice music, candles, and wine....... yummy

As for the Chocolate, you can use Hershy Bars and melt them. Put out a platter with strawberry's, cherry's, chunk pineapple, and banana. Very nice snack.

Many also do cheese. I personally don't but I've had it and it's pretty good.

Oh enjoy it!!!!

nie
    sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
    !

nie

Comment

• srussell
      Digi Sage
      • Feb 2006

Any chocolate with a high butterfat content will work... Hersey's, Ghiradella, etc, Those packs of 12 chocolate bricks for candy coating work really well.

White chocolated-dipped prezels anyone?
      sigpic
      Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
      My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

Comment

• Lorne
        Super Moderator
        • Jan 2006

Marnie, I've heard that it's INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT that you get JUST the right kind of chocolate. If it's not EXACTLY the right brand, the fondue just won't do.

There's even a large difference between batches...indeed, having a different expiry date can make all the difference!

To find the PROPER chocolate is really, really time consuming. In fact, it involves a lot of consuming. Lots and lots and lots of consuming lots and lots and lots of chocolate. It's horrible, dreadful work. It can take weeks...years. And you know I would be willing -- no, no, I know you would never ask such a thing, but really, it's the LEAST I could do.

Good heavens no I wouldn't dare ask a fee...your chocolate, I mean you mean so much to me, I would be overjoyed to take on this RESPONSIBILITY.

Well that's settled then! But let's be organized...should you start sending me chocolate from brands at the beginning of the alphabet, or the end?

...Marnie?
        Lorne ( )
        Scrapbook MAX! Software Developer

Comment

• Marion
          MAX! Mastermind
          • Feb 2006

Chocolate

Will this do????
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Marion; 08-23-2006, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• KristyAnn
            Mad Scrapper
            • Feb 2006

I usually buy to ready made chocolat fondue kit ... there is black chocolat and milk chocolat and its very good all you do is melt it in the micro wave and then put it in your container...serve it with fruits, angel cake, pound cake,marshmallows, kids love that one.
            Happy scrapping !

Comment

• Marnie
              • Jan 2006

Fanatical fondue friends....

I knew this was the right place to ask my chocolate question!

Onie - I have just a simple candle one (wow - didn't even know there were electric ones!) Your Christmas Eve tradition sounds wonderful. I think I might borrow that idea for valentine';s day or something!

Steve - pretzels! good addition. I hadn't thought of that one!

Marion - thanks for the emby. Will be good once I DO get into the fondue thing again.

KristyAnn - a KIT! Sounds nice and easy - I love it!

Lorne, Lorne, Lorne - I have to say, you might have to TACKLE me for the test-tasting duty! And even if you made it by me, I have a very hungry husband that might take offense to your 'interference'. And even if you get by him..... well, let's just face it, you might be the nicest guy on earth, but you won't be getting even a fingernail on my chocolate...... thanks for the suggestion of starting at the beginning of the alphabet though......
              Marnie

Comment

• OnieRN
                Scrap Guru
                • May 2006

Our Tradition goes On

When my daughter got married, she received her very own electric fondue pot and then I recently bought one for my sister-in-law for her birthday. She and the family got together with us and we had a dinner party with 8 or 9 people. We had 2 fondue's going at the same time. It really makes a nice dinner party because people take their time to eat and enjoy each others company. The advantage of Electric ones is it allows you to better control the temp, but I do know others with the candle ones and they like it. nie

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
                !

nie

Comment

• srussell
                  Digi Sage
                  • Feb 2006

In my house, my wife's standing quote is:
                  "Just put the chocolate down and back away slowly or I'll have to hurt you!"

A 30 man S.W.A.T team would be easier to negotiate with...
                  sigpic
                  Visit my aisle in the SBM store!
                  My buddies are Granny, Moonbeam and Wolvsie35!

Comment

• Granny
                    MAX! Mastermind
                    • Mar 2006

Marnie... Forget the chocolate, just use Lorne..... He's full of it!

Steve.... I knew there was something about your wife I could really love!

Is a good thing I'm allergic to chocolate, or you would all be in trouble. No one knows this, but I'm really the person that started the Cuban revolution. I wanted to get my hands on the local American Chocolate factory. It did not work!

Granny
                    sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

• Bee
                      • May 2006

You're all making me soooooooooo hungry. If you love the fondue sets have you seen these http://www.prezzybox.com/products/in...FTFiEgod3hC6Wg I have a friend who has one, wouldn't be good for the diet though
                      Love Bee
                      XXX

Comment

• Marion
                        MAX! Mastermind
                        • Feb 2006

Chocolate is healthy!

Did you know, they finally found out that chocolate is very good for you? Escpecially the dark kind, which is my favorite! It has anti oxidants in it. So now when you eat chocolate your not eating junk food, it is actually health food and you are doing your body a favor! No more feeling guilty!

I consider junk food "soul food" good for the soul!

Marion

Comment

• Marion
                          MAX! Mastermind
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by srussell
                          In my house, my wife's standing quote is:
                          "Just put the chocolate down and back away slowly or I'll have to hurt you!"

A 30 man S.W.A.T team would be easier to negotiate with...
                          Steve, you are going to have to eat your share before you get home!!!

Marion

Comment

• poppabob
                            Mad Scrapper
                            • Jul 2006

I like the meat idea. But cooking one bite at a time sounds pretty stressful for a 285lb'er like me.

Do they make a model that will hold a 16oz sirloin?
                            -=poppabob=-
                            If I slip and fall please get a hold of crops2dawn or OnieRN to pick me back up!

Comment

• OnieRN
                              Scrap Guru
                              • May 2006

Poppabob my Sweetie

You fill you plate up with all the side dishes then you cook and eat your meat at one piece at a time. I 16 oz would be a little difficult to do but I'm sure you could make your pieces a little bigger than bite size..........

nie

!

nie

Comment

Working...
                              X