X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jodyhicks
    • Oct 2008

photo masks

hi. how are photo masks used with SBM? I tried using them as photo shapes. this seems to work however there are faint hazy markings that are outside of the mask. any ideas why this is happening?
    thanks,
    jody
  • Carena
    Digi Sage
    • Jun 2007

If they are in PNG transparent - you will need to save them as jpeg - white being the mask and with a solid black background and then place them into the shape files.
    Kind wishes from Carena
    Scrapbook Max Digital Designer
    Visit me in the store Here also grab my blinkie if you wish.

Comment

• jodyhicks
      • Oct 2008

awesome! thank you, that works.

Comment

• Bobbie
        • Sep 2006

Masks

I have a lot of masks downloaded from web and they are in png. format how can you change the file to a jpeg so I can use it in Scrapbook Max paper scrap? Thanks for any help you can give me Bobbie

Comment

• grannywin
          Layout Whiz
          • Sep 2006

The easiest way to change from png to jpg is to save the graphic using a graphics program like Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or PaintshopPro.

Using SBM, you could try fill a SBM window with the png shape and them save the image to published scrapebooks. That method saves the scrapbook as a jpg file.

Comment

• Bobbie
            • Sep 2006

If I use my paint shop pro the mask is black so when I change it to a jpeg the mask is black and the background is white so when I try the shape in Scrapbook max my picture mask cuts my picture out and leaves a frame of my picture with a png blank center. How do I change the pink to white and get a black background? Thanks for any help you can give me. Bobbie

Comment

• sacannon
              MAX! Mastermind
              • Aug 2006

Try reversing your colors. Do you have an "Invert" option? That would switch the colors so your white would mask instead of the black when you save it in SBM as jpeg.
              [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][IMG]

Comment

• Granny
                MAX! Mastermind
                • Mar 2006

There are two types of pngs. Transparent png, which does not have a background, and regular pngs which are used for masks. The shapes I posted a few days ago are the second type of pngs, and do not need to be made into jpgs. Before converting all your pngs into jpgs, make sure they don't work with Max first. You'll save yourself a lot of work!

Also, if you don't have an image editor like PS, PSP, PE, etc, you can download a free program called IrfanView, which does batch conversions as well as individual files. Easy to use too.

Last edited by Granny; 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM.
                sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

• autisticwonder
                  Scrap Guru
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Bobbie View Post
                  If I use my paint shop pro the mask is black so when I change it to a jpeg the mask is black and the background is white so when I try the shape in Scrapbook max my picture mask cuts my picture out and leaves a frame of my picture with a png blank center. How do I change the pink to white and get a black background? Thanks for any help you can give me. Bobbie
                  In PSP..you do NEGATIVE image to reverse your black to white and white to black..In MAX..it sees WHITE image as the cutout image and the BLACK is the INVISIBLE..cut away stuff..

I ONLY use PNG's for SHAPES..PNG shapes may have an invisible layer from program that will not allow it to cut image. The type of PNG is the problem. PNG 24 is what I remember converting with PSE..

PSP program (Paint Shop Pro) go to OPTOMIZE and be sure you flatten the black and white image when processing. That means condensing all layers to one layer. When you have TWO layers the PNG image will not work in MAX as it should.

Your hazy edges may also be from SMALL image for SHAPE..IF your image is only 100 pixel by 100 pixel size..your image will cut a small image to use in max and the larger you make the shaped version the more hazy the edges..

Increase your SHAPE size to at least 400x400 pixel size 300 dpi or larger..RESIZE in small increments in your PSP program..5%- 10% size ups at a time..

Sure hope this helps..Great suggestions from others..you should be able to get images to work well now!! LOL..if not..see a GurU Scrapbooking psychiatrist immediately!! LOL

HUGS!!

Comment

• makeyesup
                    Digi Sage
                    • Jun 2006

How can you tell the difference when using work from others? I always thought all .pngs were the same even though I had noticed some do not show the color through.

Originally posted by Granny View Post
                    There are two types of pngs. Transparent png, which does not have a background, and regular pngs which are used for masks. The shapes I posted a few days ago are the second type of pngs, and do not need to be made into jpgs. Before converting all your pngs into jpgs, make sure they don't work with Max first. You'll save yourself a lot of work!

Also, if you don't have an image editor like PS, PSP, PE, etc, you can download a free program called IrfanView, which does batch conversions as well as individual files. Easy to use too.

My Buddies - pkdoll, Marion and CraftyScraps

&

Comment

• Granny
                      MAX! Mastermind
                      • Mar 2006

The only two types of pngs I know are the transparent pngs, which do not have a background, and the one that Donna mentioned, which is used for making shapes. Sorry, I can't give you more details, cause I dont' know. Real Draw has both types, but I hate getting into technical mumbo jumbo, so I refuse to read the help file.

sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

• Bobbie
                        • Sep 2006

Thanks for all the help. I do have another question is their a way to judge how it will mask the photo? I love the mask but sometimes they seem to cut a small piece of the photo and gets rid of a lot of the photo. Bobbie

Comment

• autisticwonder
                          Scrap Guru
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Bobbie View Post
                          Thanks for all the help. I do have another question is their a way to judge how it will mask the photo? I love the mask but sometimes they seem to cut a small piece of the photo and gets rid of a lot of the photo. Bobbie
                          Examine your SHAPE (mask) and size of the shape. If you have a square SHAPE...then realize when you use a rectangular photo to custom shape..it will cut alot of the photo away.

To fix this problem you can use your CROP tool in Max and crop your photo to SQUARE shape and then you will have more success with your custom shaping with your SHAPE..

Trying to custom shape a perfect circle with a SQUARE shape and a rectangular photo will come out with an oval shaped photo. You have to crop your photo to a SQUARE shape to get the perfect CIRCLE from your shape..

HOPE this helps...

HUGS,
                          donna

Comment

Working...
                          X