+ Reply to Thread

Default Shapes in Templates

Ok, I have a question. I have a shape in a template that I really like. I want to use it in other layouts and not just this template. How and can I take that shape from this template and place it in my shapes folder to use anytime I want? Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.
    Happy Scrappin'! Susie

My Buddies are
    *eng*, EclecticDiva, fourfoxes, LindaPete, O2BNGdHope,
    Pink Lollipop, Tiffanys Scraps, Autistic Wonder,
    OnieRN, Moonlightpearl, LindaPete

This assumes you mean a photo shape...

With some experimentation: .SMT files (templates) are really .ZIP files. (More kudos to Indigo Rose for adopting standard file types!)

Inside these ZIP files are elements, embellishments, photo shapes, backgrounds and so on.

This is for Windows XP:
    If you have a decent unZIP utility, you can click once on the file in Explorer, right click, then choose "Open With..." and select the ZIP utility. (I use the free Filzip)

You have to navigate down to the Images folder in the ZIP file. Then you copy or drag the photoshape file to Scrapbook Max's Gallery > Images > Shapes > Fancy folder.

IMPORTANT intellectual property note: If you extract a component from a copyrighted or licensed kit or template, don't give it to a friend or anyone else. It is okay for you to use it in Scrapbook Max layouts other than those made with the original kit/template, unless the terms of use specifically dictate that you cannot.

Images below are: (1) Right-clicked, selected "Open With..." and (2) Inside the Zip file, navigated down to the Images folder.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DGehman; 12-18-2008 at 04:59 AM.

No - wait - there's an easier way.

Open a scrapbook that uses the shape you want.

Single-click on the shape.

Edit > Copy (or CTRL-C, or right-click, choose Copy)

Then - open your new scrapbook (if the donor scrapbook asks if you want to save changes, click on No) -- by "new scrapbook," I mean the new one that you want to insert the shape into.

Edit > Paste (or CTRL-V)

The downside of this technique: the photoshape file is not in your Shapes folder. When you want to use this shape in yet another scrapbook, you'll have to do the same copy-and-paste routine.

(The more complex method in my post above will put the shape file into your Shapes folder for easy selection in future scrapbooks.)
    Last edited by DGehman; 12-18-2008 at 05:08 AM.

Thank you D, will have to try this sometime soon, not going to be home till late tonight and then off to our daughter's for a couple of days, tomorrow afternoon, hope to try it when I get back, oh no, that will be Christmas week, WOW, what a busy time!!! Will let you know if I have any trouble and need your help!! Merry Christmas and thanks again.
    Happy Scrappin'! Susie

My Buddies are

Well, I've tried it with my JustZIpit program and must be doing something wrong, will just have to copy and paste it like I did and like you said in your second post. Thank's D for your help anyway!! Don't have time right now to play around with it.
    Happy Scrappin'! Susie

My Buddies are

This is what I do.
    1. Find the project that has the desired mask or shape in. (my documents/scrapbookmax/projects. 2. Click on projects and find that project,
    3. go to resources,autoplay,images.
    That folder will have everything you used in that particular project.
    4. Find the shape you want and then copy and paste it into your shapes folder.
    That way it is there permanently for you to use.

I hope this is not to confusing

Marion, your way is crisp, clean and straightforward. brava!

It never ocurred to me to look in the projects... and kudos again to the development team at Indigo Rose for sticking with straightforward, direct folder and file structures.

Smile

Thanks so much, Marion. I never thought of getting shapes from other templates and saving them in our shapes files. If the shape has color or pattern, will it still work when we want to use the shape? Thanks
    Julie

Thank you Marion, I knew I had done something like this one other time. Thank you for your help, worked like a charm!! Thanks everyone!!
    Happy Scrappin'! Susie

My Buddies are

You can make a shape out of anything. I usually make it white first (go to effects, then advanced settings) Go to adjust color and then use the "lightness" function by sliding it all the way to one side.
    Then make the background of your template black and then export it as a jpg. Add it to your shape folder and you will never run out of shapes.

P.S I actually learned all this from Autisticwonder. Once you do one, it is extremely easy, you can make as many shapes as you want.