• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robin
    • Jul 2006

Creating Transparent Files?

Hi there

I have been using sbm for about a week and I am completely stumped as to why I cannot create a transparent file. I am using Corel Draw and am fairly proficient, however I have not been able to figure this out for the life of me. I have looked through pages and pages here and tried different things, but am still unable to make it work.
    I have a photo that I have duplicated behind the original a few times and put them on different angles. Now, I am trying to save it as a .png with a transparent background.
    I went to 'Bitmaps' and converted it to 32-bit, then exported to a png file. The color mode only allows me to have a 24-bit or a bunch of other choices, but not 32, even though I used the pull down menu to switch it before I began the save process. During the save process it then goes to png export and you have the choice for transparency - none or image colour. Not sure which to use but I have tried both and neither seem to work.
    When I go to a sbm page that I am working on and then try to pull that photo to the page there is a white background.
    Please help, what am I doing wrong??
  • Lee
    • Jun 2006

Hi Robin,
    SBM uses PNG-24 with alpha transparency. I don't use Corel Draw but in Photoshop Elements, I set the background as Transparent at the time I create a new file.

I've just developed a tutorial on creating text embellishments with transparent PNG which I'll upload that in a day or so. HTH.

Lee
    Lee Otsubo
    The Digital Photo Guy

30,000+ Satisfied Students since 2001

Comment

• Scrapbook MAX!
      Your Host, Gracie!
      • Jan 2006

Lee is correct. You need to export your embellishments from your paint program as a 32 bit PNG file (24 bit color + 8 bit alpha/transparency). That's the industry standard for transparent images - and Scrapbook MAX! works with it perfectly!
      Scrapbook MAX! 2.0 is here!. It's simply better digital scrapbooking software!

Comment

• Momadoodle
        • Apr 2006

Searching for thread

After doing several searches, I cannot find the thread where Corey recommended free software called 'grit' for making transparencies. I would like to find it for my daughter. Hopefully someone will know what the web site is.

Thanks.

Comment

• Marion
          MAX! Mastermind
          • Feb 2006

Actually it was called Gimp. No wonder you couldn't find it!
          Here is the link.

Marion

Comment

• Momadoodle
            • Apr 2006

Thanks, Marion

Of course, no wonder I couldn't find it! Thanks for your help.

Comment

• robin
              • Jul 2006

Thank for the link and the input, I will give the link a try to see if I can do it through there, but if anyone that uses Corel Draw could try it out to see if I am doing something wrong, I would like to know the solution.
              I attached the file (I think)that had been giving the problem.
              Thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

• Marion
                MAX! Mastermind
                • Feb 2006

Your layout looks great, and what a cute little baby!!!!

Marion

Comment

• Squeak
                  • May 2006

I love your layout too!

Comment

Working...
                  X