+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

When I was growing up in Rhodesia, we used to have very hot tropical summers (about 35 Celcius and higher and we would have torrential rainstorms twice a day - lunch time and 4pm). The rain would come down so hard that you had to stop driving until it passed (about 1/2 hour) because you could not see past the end of your bonnet. About an hour later you would swear it had not rained at all, the earth was dry and baked looking again and all you were left with was the horrible humidity. We only really had two seasons there - Summer or Winter. Winter was the best time of the year for me. The temperatures were about 18 deg celcius in the daytime which is lovely, but the night time temperatures could drop down to about -10. Very frosty.

When I moved back to the UK, I fell in love with the changing seasons. There was nothing more beautiful than walking my kids to school in the morning through a hoar frost with the frost standing up on the garden walls like little plates of armour or catching sight of a frozen spider's web twinkling in the first light. And I always find it so amazing being able to watch the progression of green across the space of a few weeks in spring as the first leaves start to emerge on the Hawthorns. The changing colours of autumn are so magical, that is why I put the fairies into the Autumn fairies scrap I did, because autumn always seems such a magical time that it is as if the fairies come along and paint the trees and play with the leaves when the wind blows. Summer to me is just flowers and colour and mostly lazy sunny days.

I suppose not everyone looks at the weather/seasons in the way that I do and that is why I get so irritated by little old biddies who complain about the weather all the time. I just want to pick them up and shake them and say, "For heavens sake, death comes to us all far too soon and you are a long time dead. Open your eyes and take in the beauty around you and be thankful for it. Stop Complaining - you are wasting good energy". Love it or hate it, that's me.

Default Talk about rain

Ok, Anyone from Wisconsin knows the damage we are having right now...Here are some photos that I took yesterday...and we are in for more rain today...UGH...((HUGS))
    Attached Images
    I am a Designer 4 ScrapbookMax! Check out my STORE...Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wolvsie35 View Post
    Ok, Anyone from Wisconsin knows the damage we are having right now...Here are some photos that I took yesterday...and we are in for more rain today...UGH...((HUGS))
    I hope you know how to swim.

We lost an entire lake yesterday!!!!. A dam burst I think and all of Lake Delton drained out. 245 acres of lake, all gone south! Took houses with it. I heard from my aunt in the Netherlands that it was on the news there. Many rivers are over the floodstages. Luckily I live on a hill!

Marion, I think they found your lake in Indiana!
    Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

Quote Originally Posted by O2BNGdHope View Post
    Marion, I think they found your lake in Indiana!
    We've had rain here, but not that bad! Thank goodness. All though I have been through a few floods. But the storm yesterday did damage part of my Red Bud Tree in my front yard. One of the limbs was leaning down on my drive way. It is not a big tree, but I like the tree and don't want to lose it. It is only one limb luckily.

I was worried about the tree next door to us. It is big and has a limb hanging over our house. We have been talking about having it cut off but haven't got to it yet (and neither has the neighbor, they should actually be doing it).

As far as weather, I like the changing seasons, but I don't like it hot and humid. Like Jazz, it makes it hard for me to breath due to sinus/alergy problems. I love the high 60;s and low 70's. Spring and Fall are my favorites. Love a summer rain (w/o lightning..like previously mentioned). Love to see fluffy snow, but not heavy stuff you have to shovel or Icy roads to drive on.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][IMG]

I can agree with you totally about the humidity Sue. When I lived in Rhodesia, because the days were so very humid, I suffered terribly with Asthma, but always noticed that it was so much better when we went to the coast. I think sea air is generally healthier - could be wrong. And thunder and lightening. When we were little kids, we lived in a house that had a corrugated iron roof. When it started to rain, the rain used to hammer on the roof and the thunder and lightening was absolutely terrifying. If it rained at night, my mum and dad used to end up with all four of us kids in bed with them within 5 seconds of the first thunderclap and two dogs cowering underneath. I still don't like thunderstorms and ever since the day I saw lightning strike through an open window and blast the telephone on a guy's desk, I get paranoid and run around switching off anything electrical that is near a window.

Quote Originally Posted by angelwithin View Post
    rofl you forgot

more than 5 days of sunshine - heatwave, hosepipe bans by local authorities, panic bottle water buying and everyone saying ...it's too hot i wish it would rain (except me who prays for the sunshine to last all year )

mind you you have to admit...you can get all 4 seasons in one day here in the uk

i've woken to a white bitter frost, temps risen to glorious hot sunshine by noon, gone to the beach, been battered with hailstones the size of golfballs during a thunderstorm in the afternoon, back to sunshine with 20 minuets - gone home had a gale in the evening with 4 inches of rain .....ahhh the weather is so predictable here

*goes back to praying for a heatwave to give her customers at work something to moan about
    Lol I remeber on my wedding day, just 2 years ago and we had rain, snow, hail, and sun all in one day!
    My Buddy is Angelwithin

Well, although I hate having my hair frizz in the rain, I truly love a good thunderstorm. I have a section of my deck that's covered and we go out there and sit and watch the thunderstorm. All the wind and lightening and thunder are exciting to me. When I was a child, to keep us from being afraid of storms, my mother used to play a game with us where we wait for lightening and then see how much we can see before it's dark again. So we blame her. I did the same thing with my children. Then one day when they were at their sitters house, we had a thunderstorm and she took all the children in her care and hid them in the closet. My kids were totally mystified as to why they were hiding. LOL! I couldn't help but laugh at them.
    Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

Give me the good old British weather any day! Should say Scottish weather as it is quite different down south! I love our climate and would hate to wake up every morning and KNOW it was going to be hot and sunny for the next two months, or wet for the following 8 weeks! Keeps us guessing and gives us something to talk about! Wherever would we be if we couldn't complain about the weather? We'd have nothing to talk about to those strangers that come into our life for a few moments and end up becoming good friends - all because we began with "What awful weather we are having!"
    xxoo
    Evee ~~~

CrystalInMinn, mh51and Carena are my buddies.