+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are your toes wet?

Good grief, you guys in the northern most states of america need canoes. Yesterday I had an email from my mum who lives in South Africa saying that it is bitterly cold there and winter has really set in. Today my sister in Bloomington, sent me an email saying that the temperatures there are in the hgh 30's and that you have had so much rain that everywhere is flooding badly. They are cut off from Indianapolis, Nashville, Columbus and Spencer and that the area has been declared a National disaster area with more flooding to come as the rivers have not peaked yet.

Are people in your part of the world as obsessed with talking about the weather as they seem to be here in the UK.

When you live overseas in the southern hemisphere as I have done for most of my life, you take things like sunshine, torrential rain, cold winter days and frost as facts of life and just get on with it. When I came back to the UK 25 years ago, I could not get used to how everyone here (especially the oldies) complain.

You would get stopped in the street by someone saying hello (very friendly here in the villages) and the conversation would go something like this: Hi, how are you doing. God my rheumatism is playing me up, terrible weather we are having. You would probably find that we had just had a week of glorious sunshine.

However, here in the UK, it does not matter what the weather is like, it is always cause for complaint.

Lovely warm sunny days
    - they complain that it is too hot and all the old heatwave stories come out of mothballs. Oh and drought restrictions get imposed - in one of the wettest countries in the world!!!

Cold and Frosty with snow - too cold - can't wait for summer to come - winters not like they used to be and you get the old tales about how it doesn't snow like it used to (not good enough unless it is covering the door and at least 6 foot deep.

Rain for more than 2 days - total disaster - all you hear is complaints about how all it does is rain and where is the sunshine.

It seems to me, judging by what you guys go through over there, what with tornadoes, flooding, etc, that if some of the whinging poms from this country had to live in the states for a year or two and put up with your kind of weather, they would be only too glad to come back to our very changeable weather system.

Me, I don't mind what the weather is like outside. In fact I love the continual changes in weather, seasons etc. Each facet has it's own beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post

Lovely warm sunny days - they complain that it is too hot and all the old heatwave stories come out of mothballs. Oh and drought restrictions get imposed - in one of the wettest countries in the world!!!

Cold and Frosty with snow - too cold - can't wait for summer to come - winters not like they used to be and you get the old tales about how it doesn't snow like it used to (not good enough unless it is covering the door and at least 6 foot deep.

Rain for more than 2 days - total disaster - all you hear is complaints about how all it does is rain and where is the sunshine.
    rofl you forgot

more than 5 days of sunshine - heatwave, hosepipe bans by local authorities, panic bottle water buying and everyone saying ...it's too hot i wish it would rain (except me who prays for the sunshine to last all year )

mind you you have to admit...you can get all 4 seasons in one day here in the uk

i've woken to a white bitter frost, temps risen to glorious hot sunshine by noon, gone to the beach, been battered with hailstones the size of golfballs during a thunderstorm in the afternoon, back to sunshine with 20 minuets - gone home had a gale in the evening with 4 inches of rain .....ahhh the weather is so predictable here

*goes back to praying for a heatwave to give her customers at work something to moan about

An Exclusive Scrapbook Max designer
    :
    Check out my store
    Here

"If you look around and think the world is missing something, it is probably the gift you were supposed to be bringing."

My version is-- weather is part of our souls.It is very mystic just like me.I love the rain and always did as it brings forth life.I am not much for the heat as I get cranky.I love around 75 with a slight breeaze.We very seldom have a still day.The weather is Gods music so we should all take time to listen to it.AmI too deep for you all today.

My Buddies -- Sue, Smiles, Jazzereal, Eng, Crops, Terry & Wolvsie35 , Onie, Marion, Jenna's Mommy, All My Memories, Winnie49, Tiffanys Scraps, Grannywin,emst

Well, last week we had a tornado that took out 3 trees in my yard, luckily nothing hit the house as I have a BIG yard. Yesterday it was 100 degrees with the heat index over 115. And summer doesn't officially start for 2 more weeks. Whew! Hope this isn't the way the whole summer is going to go.
    Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

I think I will stick to rainy/snowy/windy/sunny england thanks. Your weather sounds a bit scary to me.

I have to admit the kind of weather I like is when the humidity rises just enough to give thick pea soup fog and you can sit indoors with a blazing log fire going drinking thick soup with noodles in it doing jigsaw puzzles. I don't like it too hot - anything over 22 celcius is too hot for me, don't mind the rain and I love winter days that are very frosty, but with clear watery blue skies.

I love rainy days..they make me feel safe in my little world..good days to curl up with a good book..watch an old movie, scrapbook..now I do not like summer..the heat really bothers my breathing so I pretty much stay inside..the humidy is very bad here..I love fall and spring...winter is fine too..I just wish we had some snow occassionally..weather is the weather..you can complain all you like but it wont change a thing LOL
    My Buddy's Are Crops2dawn, Sue, Eye, Eng, Smiley, Kimbob, PKDoll and Autistic Wonder

Visit my Blog http://wordstodelite.blogspot.com/

I like the rain, like the sun with a breeze, hate sunbathing.
    My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

Love the rain, please send me all the rain you want. Hate, hate, hate sunny California with sunshine 362 days a year!!!!!!

I want to live in England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Obviously all you RAIN lovers don't have naturally curly hair! I dread the slightest mist falling as I know that within the next few minutes my hair will have grown.........much, much wider! As in the old 80's afro style. We're talkin' W-I-D-E as in .......well it's not a pretty picture. Just believe me. You DON'T want to see me after being out in the rain. So can we please not go to a rainy climate for our forum get-together? LOL!
    Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

I love a good thunderstorm as long as there is no lightening damage. I love the sunshine, but not too hot-right around 75--I love Fall and the turning colors on the trees-you know sweatshirt weather. I love a first snowfall-so pure and sparkly and beautiful. In Wisconsin we get all 4 seasons and I love that!! But-I hate the bitter cold and the hot humid weather. We too can have 85 degree weather one day and be down to zero the next. We can't control the weather so we just deal with it and adapt to whatever we get. As I get older I appreciate the cold winters less and less! And oftentimes wish I lived someplace warmer for the winters. Many Wisconsinites go South for the Winter and come home for Spring, Summer and fall.

My Buddies are Marion, Kimbob, Jazziel (RIP), Wolvsie35, Crops2dawn, Makeyesup, Kazr, Moonfairy, Moonlightpearl, and scrappyaggie48