X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karin
    • Jan 2006

The Groove March 2011 Freebie Challenge

Welcome to The Groove's Monthly Freebie Challenge!

Each month, a featured designer offers a great freebie mini-kit and issues a challenge based on that kit.

All you need to do is download the freebie to make your challenge pages. Then, create a layout (or layouts) that steps up to the challenge, upload it to the

Groove Newsletter Challenges gallery and post a link to your layout in a reply to this thread.

Details about this month's freebie and challenge are below.

This month, designer Vicki Pasterik has shared a beautiful teal mini-kit featuring a gleaming alpha for your scrapping pleasure! Simply click on the file named ABCsofMe.smb - you'll find it below under Attached Files. Download and save, then double-click on the saved file to import it into Scrapbook MAX!.

You'll find the kit's items under Object> Embellishment and under Page> Settings by choosing Background Image and Select Background.

Vicki's Challenge:

"The freebie mini-kit is called, "The ABC's of Me". It includes a background paper, a frame, a title, a flower and a complete uppercase Alphabet that all match.

The challenge is to make a layout of yourself (or someone else) that includes a photo and one character attribute for each letter of the alphabet. I have included the sample I made of myself. (This is harder than you'd think. It took me longer to come up with the words to describe me than it did to scrap the layout! ) "

(Groove-y tip: Pressed for time? You can still be a part of the challenge! Instead of using the whole alphabet, use only the letters of your name or the name of the person you are scrapping and think of attributes for each of these letters.)

*See my example layout for an idea (attached below)*

To recreate Vicki's page, here's how (You can try these techniques if you wish, or layout your page using Vicki's kit in a different way!):

"There is one teal background paper in the kit. To get the look in my sample, I simply opened a paper sample and chose the white construction paper included with SBM. Then, I lowered the transparency to 30, sized it to an inch smaller than my background paper and centered it horizontally and vertically. I then added the teal background as a paper scrap and stretched it to a rectangle to divide the title from the rest of the page.

For the photo effect, I took a full color photo and duplicated it (Ctrl-C + Ctrl-V). The top photo I converted to grayscale. Then I lowered the transparency of the grayscale photo until I achieved the look I wanted. The easiest way to line up both photos is to align them both to the top and left side of your layout. Then group them into one element."

To enter the challenge: Upload your layout to our gallery in the Groove Newsletter Challenges category, then post it here in this thread for us to see..It’s that time of month to share the love, so let’s see it!"

Thanks, Vicki for a fun challenge (that challenges our vocabulary and creativity! )

Be sure to check out the March 2011 issue of The Groove. You'll find gorgeous green layouts that will inspire you to scrap in this fresh, spring-y hue, plus a fab discount on featured kits.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Karin; 04-01-2011, 01:18 PM.
  • ptktj
    • Feb 2011

What a fun challenge. The words were VERY difficult!

I love shapes and in digital scrapbooking I really miss my scissors and shapes collection.

I recently found LOTS of freebies at this site: My Cricut Scrapbooking (branch)
    And here: Pigtails and paper trails (grass)

Comment

• Vickimp
      • Mar 2007

Wow! What a creative layout! I love that you think out of the box. Great job!

Comment

• Rhondarob08
        • Oct 2010

Which font did you use for the lowercase letters and how did you get them to match so well?

Thanks!

Comment

• shanave
          • Oct 2009

Well I almost completed this so I decided to post it now. I am having trouble with some of the letters, my brain has officially shut down. If I can think of these letters I will finish it off.

This is really challenging, I am not very good at describing myself. Thank you for the challenge.

Comment

• SBM Diane
            Digi Sage
            • Sep 2010

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for this great challenge! I love the colors in the kit.

Comment

• ptktj
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Vickimp View Post
              Wow! What a creative layout! I love that you think out of the box. Great job!
              Thanks!

Originally posted by Rhondarob08 View Post
              Which font did you use for the lowercase letters and how did you get them to match so well?

Thanks!
              The font is "Tall Paul" with an opacity of 90%

Comment

• Liwayway
                Mad Scrapper
                • Nov 2006

Here's my layout. I am not sure if the way I did this is ok... I added some embellishments as well.

Comment

• Wolflady
                  • Mar 2011

Question

When is the dead line for this challenge? I think I would like to try this if I downloaded it correctly etc. I am new bare with me please.

Comment

• Wolflady
                    • Mar 2011

question

I clicked the attachment ABCS of Me it said it downloaded but when I go in the program i don't see that title in there for scrapbook layouts, for the teal paper. Did I do this right?

Comment

• Wolflady
                      • Mar 2011

My first challenge

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• BookMom
                        • Feb 2011

This is really pretty!

Comment

• Vickimp
                          • Mar 2007

Wow! These are all looking so good and so creative!

Just for your information, I used two Scrapbook Max! fonts for the alphabet. The Alpha is done with "To be Continued", and the lowercase letters in the title were done with DM Script.

Great job, everyone! I love getting to know you all through the ABC's.

Comment

• Karin
                            • Jan 2006

Ditto the praise Vicki just posted!

I also wanted to say how awesomely creative you've all been - it's not easy to think of an attribute with X, but you have some eXtremely creative solutions!

Love this challenge - and well done!

Karin

Comment

• Liwayway
                              Mad Scrapper
                              • Nov 2006

I think after you downloaded the smb attachment you need to unzip it so it will load in your scrapbook program because all i did was click on the smb file then it unzipped it for me and then when I opened my scrapbookmax program and look for the file it was there. I do hope you found it.

Comment

Working...
                              X