X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tstephensx7
    • Jan 2007

searching

Hi, there. Wondering how you all do this. I have three programs that's I'm using/experimenting with. I seem to spend too much time downloading elements and saving them in a file that I thought I could use in all three programs...but I think I'm doing it wrong. They're not pings, so even when I download them from here, it seems like they have a background to them. I don't want to randomly download every cute element/paper I see in hopes of having the right pic or it some day, but I also don't want to do like I am right now...hunting and searching for a tropical element to go on a page I'm making. When I am scrapping, I want to be scrapping, not hunting and searching. How do you file your elements, and how do you find particular ones...like tropical in this instance...to go with your themes?
    Thanks again.
    TStephens
  • NanaC95565
    Digi Sage
    • Jul 2006

Alot of people separate them into catagories, For easier access. I have gone in and created different folders for example- tags, frames, elements, and so on. It does make it easier but time consuming to get it that way. I went into my computer drive c: clicked on programs and scrolled to find sbm. Once I double click that I found the folder that says gallery then I double clicked on image folder and there everything is that I have downloaded into the sbm program. I even created extra folders so when someone shares I put their name on that folder to give proper credit if I use it in a layout. When I download from other site I create a separte folder on my desk top so when I want to use it in another program (if I used another one) I would have access to it easier. Hope this helps in some way. Happy Scrappin

Visit my blog
    Visit my section of the store here

Comment

• spanielmom
      Layout Whiz
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by tstephensx7 View Post
      Hi, there. Wondering how you all do this. I have three programs that's I'm using/experimenting with. I seem to spend too much time downloading elements and saving them in a file that I thought I could use in all three programs...but I think I'm doing it wrong. They're not pings, so even when I download them from here, it seems like they have a background to them. I don't want to randomly download every cute element/paper I see in hopes of having the right pic or it some day, but I also don't want to do like I am right now...hunting and searching for a tropical element to go on a page I'm making. When I am scrapping, I want to be scrapping, not hunting and searching. How do you file your elements, and how do you find particular ones...like tropical in this instance...to go with your themes?
      Thanks again.
      TStephens
      Try as I might - I think I spend more time downloading than scrapping. I file all my stuff in a folder on my desktop. In that folder are folders of all the kits that I've downloaded. I put a picture on the font of each folder that represents what is inside the kit. Since my folders display as thumbnails, I can always see what is inside the folder (or at least the color scheme). I have folders for Birthday packs, Valentines Day, Fall, Halloween, Patriotic, Christmas, Snow & Winter, Summer, Easter.....I think you get the picture. Inside each of these folders are the individual kit folders with the designers name on them. As for tropical---there are tropical items in the photo objects folder in your SBM software. Plus you can always ask in the sharing section of SBM and someone always seems to know where to find stuff.

Comment

• tstephensx7
        • Jan 2007

searching/storing

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Can I ask,when you save, do you go first to another program to turn it into a ping so you don't end up having an element with background on it? I still haven't received my software so I don't have access to all that SM has to offer yet.
        Thanks again.
        TStephens

Comment

• NanaC95565
          Digi Sage
          • Jul 2006

Don't forget about the sharing corners for templates and embellishments. There is alot there also that you can use too. By the time you get your disk you will have so much you won't know what to do with it all. I have so many I am amazed my puter hasn't pooted on me yet. Knock on wood. LOL. Also if you look under the thread contest and chanllenge there is some there too from the challenges.

Visit my blog
          Visit my section of the store here

Comment

• tstephensx7
            • Jan 2007

searching/storing

Thanks again. I'm waiting for my disk. Am using the other two programs right now until it arrives, and I can't wait. Thanks. TStephens

Comment

• Maggie
              • Jan 2007

How To Manage Free Files

Some good ideas girls. Of course, my method is best, but that's okay! You'll learn!

1. Keep all files in one folder called "1 My Downloaded Digi"...EXCEPT ones you download to SBM. Mrs. February 2007 Scrapper (what's her name...Julie) advises downloaded ALL elements as PHOTOS . I can see the benefit to that (being able to modify ALL elements color, etc). I wish I'd done it that way now rather than using the easy "OPEN" SBM recommends. I'll try to move mine just as I figure out SBM's file structure.

2. USE TAGS if you have a program that allows that. (This way you can leave files in their original folder with the author's name in case you ever publish...giving credit.) If you move stuff around too much, you'll never figure out who it went with!!! This becomes more relevant the longer you scrap...you'll want to publish and give credit. (Yes, you will!)

3. Unpack our elements into ONE FOLDER so you can see color pallettes. More details instructions and visuals here: http://5purposedriven.wordpress.com/...hments-how-to/
              This hangs more people up. Time consuming, but you get to see all you have during this "unpacking" also.

3. Download "Unzip Them All" at http://www.snapfiles.com/get/unzipall.html
              to quickly extract all your new downloads FAST!

4. Photoshop Organizer is a GREAT tool for using tags.

Whatever you use: First unpack everything to a "1Downloaded Digi" file (file name explanation here: http://5purposedriven.wordpress.com/...hments-how-to/)

Next, import all files to a "file manager"--meaning, you'll probably find some program on your computer that allows FILE TAGGING. Find it. Use it.
              (Photoshop Organizer, HP Image Zone are two on my computer).

Leave the "file manager" minimized and running --drag the elements in.

SBM doesn't let you us "print screen" or cut and paste from other programs yet...NOTE TO SBM: you need to offer that for those of us who use central file organizers.

Finally, I pay my children to tag files (esp. pics) for me at times! They love it!

Hope this helps. And remember...my way is always the best!
              sigpic

Comment

• spanielmom
                Layout Whiz
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by tstephensx7 View Post
                Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Can I ask,when you save, do you go first to another program to turn it into a ping so you don't end up having an element with background on it? I still haven't received my software so I don't have access to all that SM has to offer yet.
                Thanks again.
                TStephens
                Everything I download is already a .png or .jpg file. If I do end up with somehthing that has a white background I use photoshop to make it transparent.

Comment

• a_nussbaum
                  • Jan 2007

I organize mine through first a main folder "scrapbook stuff" then in there i have ellements/backgrounds etc... and in side there i have them sorted by colors and by themes...

another idea.. that ive seen alot of ppl do here. If you need a "tropical background" put a request in the ellements forum... someone here may have what you need...

Comment

• Maggie
                    • Jan 2007

Sharing Is Good! But...

I like the open sharing and helps, too! As a note: the sharing is only a beautiful if the files are truly open source. Some of the image sharing is not straightforward in where it's coming from. Even old graphics are still under copyright. Modifying downloaded graphics to a "gel" in Photoshop or something else...they are still copyrited most often. A lot of text font is copyrighted from modifications as well. Take special care!
                    Last edited by Maggie; 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X