Page size, images, publish - oh Lord am I confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • colmcb
    • Apr 2013

Page size, images, publish - oh Lord am I confused!

Hi again everyone -

This is my second post in just a few minutes. I am totally new to SBM. I've been playing with it for a few days (and love it I might add) so I have figured out a number of things through trial and error and by reading the forums.

The one thing I am really confused with is how to do page size and save my project as an image to then put multiples of the same image on one page to save on printng. I hope I make sense here as I try to explain:

I have a project with 3 pages in it. This is for a birthday party I'm doing for my grandson. One page is an invitation, another page is going to be a label for goodie bags, and another page is for cards I want to use for the food. I am confused as to how to save all of these. I want to print the invitation on card stock, most likely 5 x 7, the labels for the goodie bags probably 3 x 5, and the food cards like 2 x 4 or something.

This is what I have done but am I doing this right? First, while I'm on the page, I go up to "Page", then to "Settings", then to "Size". Is this where I am setting the size I want to print? For example, say the invitation: Do I click on "custom size" and then put 5 inches x 7 inches with a 300 dpi? Not sure if this is right.

After that, I go to "File" and then "Publish", and then "Images". This is where I'm really confused. I see "Preset" and I click on "Full Size" and then "JPG". I've seen a lot of people say you should set your image to 300 dpi but the highest that it goes 100 on there.

My goal would be to put 2 invitations on one sheet and then cut them. For the food cards I'd like to be able to put 8 or 10 on one sheet and cut them. I don't quite understand how to do that and now today I was thinking that maybe I am supposed to be saving things as images and then go into another program (like Word or something) and setting things up in there with 2 on a page, 8 on a page, etc. I am SO confused.

Can someone let me know if I'm doing ANY of this right? I really apologize for being so "green" here, and for rambling. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to do. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm determined to do this birthday party for my little angel as it's his 1st birthday! :-)

Colleen
  • KapiScrap
    Scrap Guru
    • Jun 2010

Colleen,

A scrapbook can include multiple pages with different sizes.

It's better to set the size of the page before you start your page... because if you change it after you might have to edit again a few things like the shadows... for instance the shadow rendering changes when you change the size. You're right about how to set the size: Page > Settings > Size.

You select custom if the size you want isn't in the default list.

About dpi... select 200 dpi or 300... from my side I choose 300 dpi.

Now about how to publish the pages ie to generate an image file, you're right. Go to File > Publish > Images and then select the format (for instance JPEG).

About printing... you have multiple options to do what you want. You can use the tools of your printer and select the 2 images to be printed on a same sheet... or you can use word... use the solution you know the better. Once your layouts are published as images, you have image files. Keep that in mind. So use them as any other image files.

Hope that it helps.

Sandrine
    Last edited by KapiScrap; 04-11-2013, 06:14 PM.
    KapiScrap ScrapbookMAX store

Comment

• colmcb
      • Apr 2013

Sandrine:

Again, thank you for replying so quickly. I'm glad that I am at least doing that part right but thank you for clarifying that I should set the page size first.

Once I have published to an image, is there an easy way to put more than one image on a page and have them all the same size? For instance, when I do the food cards, of course I would like to save money/paper on printing. If I can fit 8 or 10 on one sheet it would be great. How do you do that, and know that it will print correctly? Should I try lining them up and then print on a plain white sheet to see how it looks in other words, before bringing it to Kinkos or somewhere to print? I think the part about putting more than one image on a sheet of paper is what is most confusing to me because I can't figure out how to line everything up properly.

Comment

• KapiScrap
        Scrap Guru
        • Jun 2010

Colleen,

You definitively need to check if with the distribution of your printer driver there are some tools for the layouts... My Canon printer has really good tools with many options with ease the printing on different formats with multiple images. These tools are really great.

The other options...

1. You use Word (as it looks like that you know it), and you add your 2 images on a page... and you print them.

2. You use Scrapbook MAX. You create a new page at the desired size and you add your images (the ones you have previously exported) as Photos as they are JPEG files. So with Scrapbook Max you can easily choose the position of each images in using the mouse. Then select the menu File > Print directly from Scrapbook MAX.
        Before printing be sure to check the preview: menu File > Print Preview

Also whatever option you choose please think to have enough margin :-)

Hope that it helps.

Sandrine

Comment

• KapiScrap
          Scrap Guru
          • Jun 2010

Another thing...

In Scrapbook MAX you have an option to align (left, right, etc.).

So to use it select with your mouse a minimum of two objects and then make a right click... A popup menu will be displayed... Select Align... and sub menus with multiple options will be displayed.

You can also access the Align function via the main menu of Scrapbook MAX (Align).

Sandrine

Comment

• colmcb
            • Apr 2013

Sandrine:

I think I understand. I'll try all that and see if it works for me. I'll let you know.

You're a big help! Thank you!

Colleen

Comment

• KapiScrap
              Scrap Guru
              • Jun 2010

You're very welcome.

Comment

Working...
              X