X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Groove
    • Jun 2006

The Groove's July 2008 Freebie Challenge

Welcome to The Groove's Monthly Freebie Challenge!

Hello from The Groove, Scrapbook MAX!'s *free* monthly newsletter.

Each month, a featured designer will offer a great freebie mini-kit and issue a challenge based on that kit.

All you need to do is download the freebie, create a layout that steps up to the challenge, upload it to your gallery, and post a link to your layout in a reply to this thread!

There's MORE! Everyone gets the freebie, and a lucky, random participant will also receive an official Scrapbook MAX! mousepad. WOO-HOO!

Details about this month's freebie and challenge are below!

The “Freebie” Part!

Donna Thomas has generously supplied a freebie shapes mini-kit to all our Groove readers.

Here's how Donna describes her kit:

This kit is introducing blended photo add ons concept. I have two related items in the store: Photo Word Tags and Trendy Expressions Templates (pictured below). The Trendy Expressions Templates use the Word Tags for backgrounds and coordinate well with any mixing and matching of the pages. These shapes will help you add more to your photos using family member word tags with the blending base.

The “Challenge” Part!

Donna has issued this challenge based on her freebie mini-kit:

Simple challenge: Use the shapes in this mini-kit to plop on your photos or papers and display them in the challenge thread!

Super Challenge: Use these shapes to plop on your photos or backgrounds and display them here! Use whatever shapes you have collected to decorate and coordinate your blended words. Use the base with the words as shown in picture of the freebie kit (look for the screenshot under the heading "The Monthly Freebie Challenge!" in the July 2008 Issue of The Groove!)

A lucky random challenge participants will get an official Scrapbook MAX!mousepad.

So get the freebies, accept the challenge, and get in on the fun (and the possibility of a free mousepad!)

And of course, be sure to check out the July 2008 issue of The Groove! You'll find more freebies, inspiration, and even an awesome discount on featured kits in the Scrapbook MAX! Booster Pack Store!

Happy Scrapping!

Your Groove Editors,
    Karin and Marnie

Not yet signed up for The Groove? Click here!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Karin; 07-01-2008, 09:42 PM.
    The Groove Avatar made with embellishments found in our various Expansion Packs for Scrapbook MAX! 2.0
  • angelwithin
    MAX! Mastermind
    • Nov 2006

ooo this looks like a fun challenge

great Groove edition

An Exclusive Scrapbook Max designer
    , Check out my store
    Here

"If you look around and think the world is missing something, it is probably the gift you were supposed to be bringing."

Comment

• autisticwonder
      Scrap Guru
      • Nov 2006

Hey, I'm not making it too hard but gives you all lots to play with and show off new ways of using this technique..

Not a lot of folks have caught on to it YET..but I think blended edges with the photo idea is so cool looking!!

So go for it!! Impress us!! I can do these in Photoshop but came up with this version for us to try in SBM!!

SPECIAL TIP: To get the white shadow look behind your wording...

1) Copy and Paste your word (which should be lying over the base piece)...don't more your word...
      2) Now..with the new pasted word still selected..go to CHANGE PICTURE and change with paper scrap of white..
      3) Hit OK
      4) Go to layers at top of bar, send to back and bring it up behind the top word layer..nudge it out just a bit by pulling on
      corners until you get it the way you like it!!

No need for SHADOW unless you like that look better.

Now, it's PLAY time!! Get going!! LOL

You all are always BLOWING me AWAY with your creative scrappin POWERS within!!

See details in these pictures!!
      Attached Files

Comment

• The Groove
        • Jun 2006

Thanks for the great design tips, Donna, and the fab freebie kit!

For those of you who may be more used to the User's Guide's terminology, the layering tools Donna mentioned are the Send to Back, Send Back, Send to Front, Send Forward buttons in the toolbar. See attached image of the four layering icons (the buttons with "arrows").

Have fun, and happy scrapping!

Karin
        for The Groove
        Attached Files
        The Groove Avatar made with embellishments found in our various Expansion Packs for Scrapbook MAX! 2.0

Comment

• sacannon
          MAX! Mastermind
          • Aug 2006

Will have to give this some thought!
          [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][IMG]

Comment

• MommaBird
            Digi Sage
            • Jul 2007

Think I'll wait to see what others do, a little confused on this one.

Comment

• KPierce
              Layout Whiz
              • Nov 2007

Uhmmm........... I downloaded the mini kit and I don't see anything in here that is like the Maximizer's Torn Photo Shapes. Is there supposed to be? I only see photo tag pieces.
              My buddy is GrannyWin.
              My sister, my friend, Laurie016. My daughter, mortonmomof2.

Comment

• MaggieMae
                Digi Sage
                • May 2006

I think I'm confused, too, about the challenge. Will have to reread it!
                Julie

Comment

• autisticwonder
                  Scrap Guru
                  • Nov 2006

This has nothing to do with my Maximizers Torn Papers..Not sure why the confusion on it.. but this is just a Maxie Kit..which is simply a mini shapes kit for making specific kinds of projects like the bigger Maximizers do..So that is where the confusion is..

My shapes have been lone rangers in the past..So I'm giving them a classy name!! LOL.. or trying to!!

Great visuals are the Photo Word Tags and the Trendy Expressions templates.

Glad Karin made it more clear for the layers term. But most of you are veterans and should have no trouble with this simple challenge.. So explain in your own terms if you think that helpful!! I like the help!! I forget what it's like in the beginning of learning Max!!

Be interested if you can make more fun than I can think up!!

Comment

• KPierce
                    Layout Whiz
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by The Groove View Post
                    Welcome to The Groove's Monthly Freebie Challenge!

The “Freebie” Part!

Donna Thomas has generously supplied a freebie shapes mini-kit to all our Groove readers based on her super-cool full kit called Maximizers Torn Photo/Paper Scraps 1.

This is where my confusion comes from. The Groove mentions the torn photo shapes and links to the full kit based on the mini kit.

I just wanted to be sure it has all the pieces it is supposed to have for the challenge. Now I will start working and thinking. Thanks
                    Last edited by KPierce; 07-01-2008, 07:16 PM.
                    My buddy is GrannyWin.

Comment

• Karin
                      • Jan 2006

Hi there!

I think what I meant () in The Groove is that Donna's Maxie Kit is similar in concept to the Maximizer Kit.

You will not get all of the items from the Maximizer Kit in the freebie Maxie Mini-Kit, but you will get some great shapes to work with.

Hope that helps - sorry for the confusion!

Karin

Comment

• KPierce
                        Layout Whiz
                        • Nov 2007

Here is my challenge attempt. If I didn't understand please tell me. Then we will all understand better.

I used the mini kit shapes, Donna's plaid paper pack and Donna's Lacey Circle Round Shapes.

July.jpg
                        My buddy is GrannyWin.

Comment

• autisticwonder
                          Scrap Guru
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by KPierce View Post
                          Here is my challenge attempt. If I didn't understand please tell me. Then we will all understand better.

I used the mini kit shapes, Donna's plaid paper pack and Donna's Lacey Circle Round Shapes.

[ATTACH]23053[/ATTACH]
                          That's ALL there is to it!! You got it!! It is that simple!! BLESS you!! I love it!! Here's the visual for you to show you how to do it if it will help.

When you get that part of it..Try adding a flower to your base in place of or with your name tags..

When you guys get this..Then I want you to provide something you've seen that you want me to create for you to use/do in SBM..Let's try REVERSING challenge role!! I LOVE shapes..So post a picture of something you want me to scraplift!! AFTER you master this!! LOL
                          Attached Files

Comment

• natenstormsmom
                            • Mar 2008

Thanks for the freebie shapes and writing out the steps. It was quite easy to do, and the results are very pretty. Thank you!

Last edited by Karin; 07-01-2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• fourfoxes
                              Digi Sage
                              • Oct 2007

Sounds like fun! Thanks Donna!

Debby
                              My buddies are Granny, Wolvsie35, angelwithin, twpclerk, moonlightpearl, Vanessa, Wickel, Smile, Eye and Pink Lollipop

Comment

Working...
                              X