• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KapiScrap
    Scrap Guru
    • Jun 2010

TIP: Shadows

When you start making page layouts, you have to deal with shadows and to find the "good" settings. At the beggining, that isn't so easy.

You have the option to simply forget to set shadows... but honnestly a page layout without shadows isn't a "completed" page. The shadow gives another dimension to your pages... You have this feature, so please use it!

I recognize that it isn't always easy to set shadows... even today I'm not always sure for the proper values when I want to get a certain "effect". So in such a case, I simply print my page layout to check.

Scrapbook MAX sets its default shadow setting which is:
    Distance: 10
    Transparency: 25
    Blur: 8
    Color: black
    It looks like that it is the default setting whatever is the page layout size.

You must be aware that this setting won't result in the same rendering according to your page size. If you work on a large page size, these value should be increased.

From my side, for a square page I always set the page size at 12 x 12 (300 dpi... but 200 dpi is also fine).
    The most common setting I use for the shadows is:
    Distance: 30
    Transparency: 50
    Blur: 50
    I generally use the black color (99%).

BUT for brads and buttons I reduce these values:
    Distance: 12
    Transparency: 50
    Blur: 20

and for stickers
    Distance: 6
    Transparency: 45
    Blur: 16

I reduce these values because my brads, buttons or stickers "shouldn't fly" above the page...

If I add an embie like a butterfly... I'm going to increase these values to indrease the 3D effect...
    For instance:
    Distance: 70
    Transparency: 60
    Blur: 16

Hope this post is useful :-)

KEEP IN MIND that shadows are personal, so you might experience by yourself the best settings

FYI - In my templates I set all the shadows as accurately as possible.
    Last edited by KapiScrap; 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM.
    KapiScrap ScrapbookMAX store
  • cheesepiece
    Layout Whiz
    • Apr 2010

Very useful and helpful tip Sandrine. Many thanks. I have always struggled with shadows.

Comment

• Carena
      Digi Sage
      • Jun 2007

Great work Sandrine - thanks so much for working this out and sharing with everyone. You are totally awesome!
      Kind wishes from Carena
      Scrapbook Max Digital Designer
      Visit me in the store Here also grab my blinkie if you wish.

Comment

• KapiScrap
        Scrap Guru
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Carena View Post
        Great work Sandrine - thanks so much for working this out and sharing with everyone. You are totally awesome!
        TYSM! You're welcome.

Comment

• Monkey Toes Too
          Mad Scrapper
          • Feb 2010

Thank you. I played with my shadows once and the designer I was working with nearly ripped my head off. Yet I thought the shadowing I had used gave it a little more depth but I didn't go over board. I was afraid to touch me settings again.
          Kim Goodman

Proudly CT for Kapiscrap & Art and Digi Cyber Scraps

Comment

• KapiScrap
            Scrap Guru
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Monkey Toes Too View Post
            Thank you. I played with my shadows once and the designer I was working with nearly ripped my head off. Yet I thought the shadowing I had used gave it a little more depth but I didn't go over board. I was afraid to touch me settings again.
            Kim, Don't hesitate to change the settings and to increase the values. You'll get more depth. Try the settings I gave here... They work for most of the situations.

Another way to learn about shadows is to play with my sets of templates... because I always set all the shadows. Take a look at the shadows settings... you'll see that I use different settings according to the kind of objects.

Any question???? JUST ASK ME

Sandrine
            Last edited by KapiScrap; 04-26-2013, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• tin tin
              Digi Sage
              • Oct 2010

thank you Sandrine. I always struggle with my settings, and although I do play with them, I end up going to regular cause I forgot to "click" on global! lol.
              Somewhere in all the madness lies the beauty within

Comment

• Carena
                Digi Sage
                • Jun 2007

Scrapping should be fun - no one need to come down on you so hard. Often it's a personal choice - like and dislikes. If you go for something that looks natural then you can't go wrong. Remember mostly don't go tooo dark or strong.
                Don't let this person put you off exploring and experimenting - it's the best way to learn but also it's FUN. Hugs
                Kind wishes from Carena
                Scrapbook Max Digital Designer
                Visit me in the store Here also grab my blinkie if you wish.

Comment

• Schwabby
                  • Nov 2014

Thank you for the tips......but I can't find how to add a shadow to an embellishments. It is probably staring me in the face, but I can't seem to find it! Can you point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Schwabby

Comment

• Schwabby
                    • Nov 2014

Never Mind!

I found it! When you import the embellishment there is a drop box checkbox....in case anyone else overlooked it!

Schwabby

Comment

• KapiScrap
                      Scrap Guru
                      • Jun 2010

Yes.
                      You can play with different settings and set a default shadow.

Comment

• China Doll
                        • Nov 2011

Although the post is an older one, the advice still stands. Thanks for keeping the tips here as I forgot about how to change my shadows until a designer brought my dark shadows to light! Thanks ladies. I've been using SB Max 2 for a long time and LOVE it. This program does everything I need it to even doing CT work. Just needed a reminder!

Comment

Working...
                        X