• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manatee25
    Layout Whiz
    • Mar 2007

Is there a doctor in Scrapsville?

I know that some of you are nurses so maybe you can answer my question. About how long does and ear infection last? My husband has both ears infected and he has been in alot of pain for a while now. Anything we can do to ease the pain, or any ideas on how long it should last?

Thanks so much for your help! My scrapsville medicaid will forward the money to pay the bill to your e-mail
    Don't procrastinate being happy!
    And don't procrastinate checking out my store!
    Orange Blossom- new release
    sigpic
    My SBM store
  • crops2dawn
    MAX! Mastermind
    • Jul 2006

No Doctor in his right mind would hang out here! If he/she did I certainly would not go to him. LOL But I can pretend at the moment... hmmm Dr. Crops STAT! hehehehe.... has he had an ear infection before? did he seek medical attention at any given time for ears, has he stuck something in his ear, like a cob of corn? a pencil eraser, a chicken nugget....when was the last time he sent you flowers? the last time he made dinner, the last time he cleaned the toilet and the most critical question... has he ever had the chicken pox shot?? I would recommend a total ear removal...STAT.... scapel...

My Buddies: Jazz, Smile, Sue, Eng and Eye "CHILLS", Poppabob, PKdoll, Onie, Pickngrin

Comment

• OnieRN
      Scrap Guru
      • May 2006

Hope this helps!

I'm one of the nurses here. Here is a some information that may help answer your questions. Please remember that only a Doctor can diagnosis and order a treatment for medical conditions. I am saying this because I recently had a student's mother tell me she had been treating her child herself without going to a doctor for the ear infection.

It's hard to say how long an ear infection takes to clear up. Like any infection, not all people respond to antiobiotics the same. Doctors usually want to see the patient again in about 10 days after treatment starts, in order to make sure that the antibiotics are doing the job! Is your husband on an antibiotic? For how long? What antiobiotic? Some people do not respond as well on some antiobiotics and could require more than one or two rounds of it.

The biggest lesson to learn is to make sure that the medication is finished completely. Many times, some will being to feel better then will stop or get lazy about completing the course. Ends up that the infection is not totally gone and can sneak back up within a few weeks. Doctors calculate the exact amount of antiobiotic a person needs on a daily bases over approx 7-10 days. It's important to NOT miss doses. Also, diarrhea is common with antiobiotic use, which may not start for a week. SO DRINK WATER!

As others are aware of here, I had Streph Throat and was on Pencillin but after a week, there was no improvement. I called my doctor, who changed the Rx to a Z Pack. Within a 2 days, I noticed a big difference. I will be taking the last pill tomorrow but it will continue to work for another 5 days in my system. I'm still a little congested but much improved.

I hope this helps! I hope he gets well quickly!
      sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
      !

nie

Comment

• Marion
        MAX! Mastermind
        • Feb 2006

Well, I am the local Doctor in Scrapsville, but I am a shrink. They call me Dr Marion or the Duckter, but I am not a quack. As far as ears go, I don't know, I deal mainly with brains, or lack of them! Better see a real Doctor real soon!

P.S. Are his ears really hurting or is he pretending so he can't hear you? If the latter, I can still see him. (Need another yacht payment) Infact I will see you both!

Comment

• Manatee25
          Layout Whiz
          • Mar 2007

Oh thank you Doctor!

Originally posted by crops2dawn View Post
          has he had an ear infection before? did he seek medical attention at any given time for ears, has he stuck something in his ear, like a cob of corn? a pencil eraser, a chicken nugget....when was the last time he sent you flowers? the last time he made dinner, the last time he cleaned the toilet and the most critical question... has he ever had the chicken pox shot?? I would recommend a total ear removal...STAT.... scapel.
          Um dont know if he has had one before? Yes he went to the doctor on monday and got meds but it still hurts pretty bad. I dont see any chicken nuggets in there... He sent me flowers when I had our son last year, he made dinner last week some time..... he cleaned the toilet..... well, probably last year when I was pregnant and couldnt clean it without throwing up in it... I dont think he has had chicken pox (do you get that from sticking the chicken nugget in your ear?)

I dont have a scalpel handy.... do you think a butter knife would work ok? (p.s. I checked with scrapsville medicaid and they have said that they wont pay for visits do Doc. Crops so I guess you dont get paid for this wonderful advice!! Thanks for the freebie! )
          sigpic
          My SBM store

Comment

• Manatee25
            Layout Whiz
            • Mar 2007

Thank you Onie for the advice! That does help alot! He did see a doc. on monday and got penicillin I think. That is why I was wondering how long it should last because I expected it to feel better by now. Your advice helped greatly! Dr. Marion, I may need the mental treatment soon. See, I have this addiction. I am addicted to this silly forum where these crazy people live in this atherial town and have American Idol parties at the local bar... something about a granny with money in her mattress, and I think some apes... or monkeys.... or ninjas maybe.... it is all like a crazy dream... and I just cant tear myself away from it!! What is wrong with me!!!! HELP!
            sigpic
            My SBM store

Comment

• Granny
              MAX! Mastermind
              • Mar 2006

The ear ache will last in direct proportion to how crazy he makes you winning all day that his ear hurts. The crazier he drives you, the longer it will last, guaranteed.

Men are helpless creatures. Very macho when it comes to Rambo movies, but as soon as something aches, look out. Wuz time, wimp, hopeless and helpless!!!!

But, and this is a big but.... Keep an eye on this. Ear infections are very painful, and nothing to fool with. I feel sorry for him. That being said... Hit him over the head with a bottle of Jack Daniels and put him out of his misery. Then, open the bottle, pour yourself a large doze, and celebrate your kindhearted, compassionate, longsuffering personality that allows you to put up with that neenee!

sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

• OnieRN
                Scrap Guru
                • May 2006

Fyi

Originally posted by Manatee25 View Post
                Thank you Onie for the advice! That does help alot! He did see a doc. on monday and got penicillin I think. That is why I was wondering how long it should last because I expected it to feel better by now. Your advice helped greatly! Dr. Marion, I may need the mental treatment soon. See, I have this addiction. I am addicted to this silly forum where these crazy people live in this atherial town and have American Idol parties at the local bar... something about a granny with money in her mattress, and I think some apes... or monkeys.... or ninjas maybe.... it is all like a crazy dream... and I just cant tear myself away from it!! What is wrong with me!!!! HELP!
                Most oral antiobiotics like penicillin usually take about 72 hrs before they really start working! Did the doctor recommend taking Tylenol for fever or pain?

My dear buds gave some excellent advise......... but Granny's is the best!!!! a bottle of Jack Daniels over the head might be the best at this time!
                sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
                !

nie

Comment

• Manatee25
                  Layout Whiz
                  • Mar 2007

Hmm.. Jack Daniels hu? Well, we don't drink but he is in enough pain he might just go for it! LOL... poor guy.... Granny, you hit the nail on the head with this one. It is so hard to tell how much pain he is really in because he is such a whimp when in come to pain... I love him dearly, but he crumbles easy. I do think he is in real pain this time though since he really looks like he is about to cry..... Hopefully the antibiotic will start to help soon... he is a big guy so it may just be taking a while to work through his system.... thanks onie for the help... and all you other doctors too..... Jack Daniels... butter knifes.... chicken nuggets... if nothing else it has gotten my mind of his pain!! LOL
                  sigpic
                  My SBM store

Comment

• *eng*
                    MAX! Mastermind
                    • Apr 2006

Having suffered with ear ache as a child and a couple of times as an adult I can sympathise fully, even if it is a male! I used to get abcesses and the pain was undescribable. I was on anti biotics a lot and they did work. Even getting better was painful as every so often it 'popped' which hurt. Eventually my adenoids were removed and apart from a couple of episodes seemed to cure it for good. One of my children inherited this from me and you feel an when he was small used to scream in pain, he even kicked the Dr on one visit and he was too young to explain what was wrong!
                    My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

Comment

• jazzieal
                      Digi Sage
                      • Sep 2006

My youngest daughter suffered from ear infections all the time even after she was a teenager..she could never lay her head down always propped up on lots of pillows..
                      heating pad helped sometimes..one dr somewhere down the line told me to give her Dimetapp along with the antibotics..this seemed to help some..I think there is an over the counter pain drop you can get..maybe if he doesnt get better call the dr and ask for some drops that would be stronger.. one time angies ears were so swelled the drops wouldnt go down.had to carry her to ER and have wicks put in her ears to get the pain drops in there..
                      from my experience..tylenol doesnt help much if the infection is really bad..
                      My Buddy's Are Crops2dawn, Sue, Eye, Eng, Smiley, Kimbob, PKDoll and Autistic Wonder

Visit my Blog http://wordstodelite.blogspot.com/

Comment

• eye
                        MAX! Mastermind
                        • Jul 2006

Ear aches need attention.Pain is bad. Like Onie i agree with all what she said.This may not be the right antibiotic.Usually by now you should see an improvement.So he may have to go back to see his doctor.Sometimes ear drops help as well.Brings back memories with my mum.She had 11 kids and my father was killed and she was left alone. She used to heat table salt on the stove and put it in a sock or pillow case and the warmth used to be a comfort on those achey nights. It is a old method which I still use to this day. Weird hah but the kids always liked the warmth on their ears.But make sure if his ear aches persist he should see the Dr. soon.
                        sigpic
                        My Buddies -- Sue, Smiles, Jazzereal, Eng, Crops, Terry & Wolvsie35 , Onie, Marion, Jenna's Mommy, All My Memories, Winnie49, Tiffanys Scraps, Grannywin,emst

Comment

• jazzieal
                          Digi Sage
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eye View Post
                          Ear aches need attention.Pain is bad. Like Onie i agree with all what she said.This may not be the right antibiotic.Usually by now you should see an improvement.So he may have to go back to see his doctor.Sometimes ear drops help as well.Brings back memories with my mum.She had 11 kids and my father was killed and she was left alone. She used to heat table salt on the stove and put it in a sock or pillow case and the warmth used to be a comfort on those achey nights. It is a old method which I still use to this day. Weird hah but the kids always liked the warmth on their ears.But make sure if his ear aches persist he should see the Dr. soon.
                          My mother used to do that too eye and I did for Angie sometimes..
                          My Buddy's Are Crops2dawn, Sue, Eye, Eng, Smiley, Kimbob, PKDoll and Autistic Wonder

Visit my Blog http://wordstodelite.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Marion
                            MAX! Mastermind
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Granny View Post
                            The ear ache will last in direct proportion to how crazy he makes you winning all day that his ear hurts. The crazier he drives you, the longer it will last, guaranteed.

Men are helpless creatures. Very macho when it comes to Rambo movies, but as soon as something aches, look out. Wuz time, wimp, hopeless and helpless!!!!

But, and this is a big but.... Keep an eye on this. Ear infections are very painful, and nothing to fool with. I feel sorry for him. That being said... Hit him over the head with a bottle of Jack Daniels and put him out of his misery. Then, open the bottle, pour yourself a large doze, and celebrate your kindhearted, compassionate, longsuffering personality that allows you to put up with that neenee!

This thread is better then the daily joke! I am sorry Manatee, but I have to laugh at this even amongst your poor husbands misery! (or yours putting up with him)

Comment

• Granny
                              MAX! Mastermind
                              • Mar 2006

I had horrible ear infections all growing up and one thing that helped the pain (don't laugh, this is seriously serious) was warming up a little olive oil and putting some drops of it in my ear. It took the cold out and helped the pain.

So, Olive oil, chicken soup, lost of pampering, and the Jack Daniels on the head (or whatever you got, I don't drink the stuff myself, bottle of White Zinfindel is just as effective).

sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

Working...
                              X