• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • terri33
    • Jun 2009

Back Up and storage

Hello,
    Fairly new to SBM, but am enjoying it so far. I was just wondering what everyone does for back-up & storage. I'm doing 12x12 pages at the highest resolution, and my computer is really slowing down. Also, if I try to do more than 5 pages in an album it just completely freezes.

Do you use external hard drives? Back up to CD? How do you keep them organized by event?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    -Terri
  • Gotart
    Mad Scrapper
    • Nov 2006

I bought an external drive as after I started with digital, I collected so many elements..

Originally posted by terri33 View Post
    Hello,
    Fairly new to SBM, but am enjoying it so far. I was just wondering what everyone does for back-up & storage. I'm doing 12x12 pages at the highest resolution, and my computer is really slowing down. Also, if I try to do more than 5 pages in an album it just completely freezes.

Do you use external hard drives? Back up to CD? How do you keep them organized by event?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    -Terri

sigpic

Comment

• TheFreeSpirit
      Layout Whiz
      • Jan 2008

Hi Terri

Your problem is more likely to be a shorage of RAM (random access memory) than a shortage of storage space (your Hard Disk Drive).

Some things to check:
      • WinXP is faster than Vista - but that is not something you can easily change.
      • The more RAM the faster you will operate - 2 GB is good.
      • Sufficient free space on drive that holds SBM, at least 25%
      • Defrag the same drive regularly, at least once a week
      • Close any unecessary programs, especially programs that check the internet for updates.
      • Remove any programs from the "Startup" folder that you don't need immediately, they can always be opened when needed.

SBM automatically saves to the drive where the program is installed. However, you can always archive some of your scrapbooks to another drive if you find that you are getting short of storage space on your main drive.

If you discover that you are short of RAM you will need to find out if your pc memory can be upgraded.

A good site to check your memory, that is safe, is Crucial.com/UK. This has a tool that will scan your system, tell you what you have and offer upgrade advice.

Hope this helps.

Blessings - Freespirit xx
      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

I walk on a rainbow trail
      I walk on a trail of song
      And all around me is beauty ~ Navajo Song

Comment

Working...
      X