X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karin
    • Jan 2006

The Groove September 2010 Freebie Challenge

Welcome to The Groove's Monthly Freebie Challenge!

Hello from The Groove, Scrapbook MAX!'s *free* monthly newsletter!

Each month, a featured designer offers a great freebie mini-kit and issues a challenge based on that kit.

All you need to do is download the freebie and use the elements to make your challenge pages in Scrapbook MAX!. Then, create a layout that steps up to the challenge, upload it to the Groove Newsletter Challenges gallery and post a link to your layout in a reply to this thread.

Details about this month's freebie and challenge are below.

This month, designer Kristi Cakebread has shared a fresh gardening-themed freebie kit - awesome with a variety of different photo types!

The Challenge:

Gardening is about tending to something with tender loving care, and watching it blossom. This month, we're challenging you to pick a photo of something you are proud to have tended with love - could be a person, an achievement, or anything that fits this idea.

Make two layouts with this photo using the mini-kit: one using any combination of the elements "as is", and in the next, re-color the elements you choose to closely match the main colors in your photo.

The layouts can be identical (except for color) or completely different, but the photo or photos should be the same. Also you don't have to post your layouts at the same time - just be sure to try two throughout the month. Have fun!

NOTE: The mini-kit attached is in .zip format. Just download the file, then extract the images. (You can drag and drop them right into Scrapbook MAX!).

Be sure to check out the September 2010 issue of The Groove. You'll find inspiring layouts made by Scrapbook MAX! community members, featured kits and templates by Kristi Cakebread, and details about a huge sale this month in the store (20% off your order!). Find all the details in The Groove.
    Attached Files
  • kritt
    • May 2006

Hi Guys.....Hope you all enjoy this little kit......Have fun with the challenge..
    View my digital kits here...
    http://www.scrapbookmax.com/digital-...Cakebread.html

Comment

• beckc
      • Aug 2010

I'm new to Scrapbook Max so maybe that's my problem, but when I downloaded the freebie kit I saved it to my desktop but now I can't get it into Scrapbook Max. I guess I just need step by step instructions til I get the hang of everything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. I'm having a blast trying things out.

Comment

• lindaathome
        Digi Sage
        • Jan 2010

Hi becks,
        Once you dowload it you need to extract the elements to a folder. When you are in Max on a new blank page, hit the Add Elements or Add Paper Scraps Icons in the Top Bar. It will propmt you to locate what you are looking for. At the bottom left there is a Browse button. Hit it and then manually go to the folder you saved the kit in. You can also use the Darg and Drop method by opening both the folder and Max in minimized view and place them side by side. You can click on something in your kit folder and drag it over to your Max window and drop it. When you drop it you will prompted to tell Max what you are adding it as, i.e. Picture, Element, Paper Scrap, Background, etc.

Good luck and can't wait to see your work.
        I am a proud Member of the Following Creative Teams

My friends are Angelwithin, Carena, Daydreamer, Dillie1, Eye. Frannieanne, Granny, Janarae, KimmyAnn, ksd_24_f, Marion, Moonbeam, The FreeSpirit and Wolvsie35

Comment

• beckc
          • Aug 2010

Thanks so much for your help. I got to the point of dragging and dropping the items to the scrapbook page. I just wondered if these items will show up on my Scrapbook Max kit menu when I open up the program. When I dragged the parts of the kit over it put them onto the scrapbook page, but I don't think it saved them to my kits. Just wondering if it was supposed to do that or not.

Comment

• lgarner
            • Dec 2008

I'm having the same problem. When we get the files as .sbm files they save directly to the scrapbook max kits and are easily available for all my layouts but when they come as zip files they don't go into scrapbook max and my computer won't recognize them as acceptable files to import so I can't use those in my layouts. If anyone has figured out the work around for that let me know. We have vista so that may be the problem.

Comment

• TerryD
              • Jun 2010

I had the same problem with ScrapBook not saving them. I tried highlighting the file folder and putting it under embellishments and scrap paper, both, it didn't save it that way either. Any help would be appreciated.
              Terry

Comment

• lgarner
                • Dec 2008

Nothing like stumbling on to my own answer! I just got all my zip files to show with the rest of the scrapbook max folders by doing the following: go to your c drive, select Program Files, select Scrapbook Max 2.0, select Gallery, select Images, then in the background file, embellishments file, and paper scraps file create a new folder all with the same name (whatever that month's challenge is called). Go back to your original download location (where you put the zip file in the first place) and drag and drop each element into the appropriate new folders you created. Since they are now in the program files of scrapbook max they will show in the list with the rest of your options when you have scrapbook max open. It is a bit time comsuming but at least I can use them now. I haven't figured out how to get it to show a pretty icon like the rest but at least the elements are easily available.

Comment

• lindaathome
                  Digi Sage
                  • Jan 2010

You can easily extract them from the zipped file to a folder under /My Documents/ScrapbookMax! 2.0/Gallery/Images/Embelishments/ and create your folder name at the time of extraction. You can organize them however works best for you. Glad you could make it work easier for. Hugs

My friends are Angelwithin, Carena, Daydreamer, Dillie1, Eye. Frannieanne, Granny, Janarae, KimmyAnn, ksd_24_f, Marion, Moonbeam, The FreeSpirit and Wolvsie35

Comment

• lindaathome
                    Digi Sage
                    • Jan 2010

Here's my first entry.

Comment

• beckc
                      • Aug 2010

I thought this might be the ticket for me since I was still having trouble (I have Vista too) but I believe I did everything above and was feeling so proud of myself, but when I opened Scrapbook Max and clicked new scrapbook, none of the 'a day in the garden' items showed up. Did I need to click on the 'add embellishment' button or should they be in the regular menu? I'm feeling kinda simple right now!

Comment

• beckc
                        • Aug 2010

Okay. Scratch my earlier post. The scraps and embellishments are there!!! I tried both ways to extract so I'm not sure which worked for me (I'm sure they both work though) so now I can start using these beautiful pieces. I had the best flower garden of my life this summer so I'm excited. Thanks to all for the advice

Comment

• lindaathome
                          Digi Sage
                          • Jan 2010

Glad you are okay now. Can't wait to see your work. Hugs

Comment

• lindaathome
                            Digi Sage
                            • Jan 2010

Here's my 2nd entry recolored.

Comment

• kritt
                              • May 2006

Your layouts are fantastic...this is so exciting having someone else use my kits...can't wait to see more.....
                              View my digital kits here...
                              http://www.scrapbookmax.com/digital-...Cakebread.html

Comment

Working...
                              X