• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanessa
    Digi Sage
    • Apr 2008

Misconceptions

Last night Mel (OBG2.....) bit of a mouthful, and I were chatting about Hillbillies in Granny's new website thread and I learned some really interesting things from her.

You know, when they teach us about history and geography at school, they just give us the bare bones - this country is here, so and so discovered it in 16..., etc. What we really miss out on are the valuable little titbits of information, that make each area so fascinating.

I was born and grew up in what was then Rhodesia, (Zimbabwe) now. I lived in a normal house, went to a normal school (no boys allowed), lived next door to, played and went to school with african and indian children, drove a car and did all the normal things that people do. I had a penpal when I was a teenager who lived on the European continent. She thought that because I came from Rhodesia, that I was black and lived in a little mud hut with no running water and electricity. There's a misconception for you. I don't think anyone ever told her that white people lived there too.

We all tend to forget that the world is such a vast place, peopled with a multitude of interesting people and decorated with some of the most stunning scenery imaginable.

Mel commented to Granny that throughout America, people refer to themselves as American and that if you scratch the surface you will find that somewhere along the line they were all once immigrants. Well that is so true. There were no white people outside of Europe before I think the 1600's.

Whatever you do Mel, don't mention to the Aussies that they are really all convicts - you might hit a sore point there. That is one of the most beautiful continents in the world, and where did England send it's convicts rather than to prison - Australia of course. Can you blame them for not wanting to let anyone else immigrate to Australia (especially us Brits) - I don't.

Mel commented on eating possum stew. Do you know, I bet it was really tasty. God there are some dishes that people really love that I would not touch or eat, even if I was paid to. Faggots, grey peas and bacon (looks and smells disgusting), tripe and onions (yuck). Something I always used to love eating when I lived in Rhodesia was "Biltong". It is very similar I suppose to what americans call jerky. Strips of meat, usually game, coated with spices and salted and dried. Highly nutritious and once you acquire a taste for it, you really enjoy it. Now my husband having lived all his life in England cannot bring himself to touch it, let alone eat it. Just the thought, for him is enough to make him heave.

I could go on and on, and you all are probably thinking, "God what a gassbag" - you're right, but I will let you get a word in now. It is nice to be able to learn a little bit about how the other half live, rather than having to rely on stereotypical TV programmes.
  • LindaPete
    Mad Scrapper
    • Mar 2008

Vanessa, Thanks for sharing all of this, quite interesting. Just goes to show that no matter where we are from we really are the same, but still Oh so different

Visit my blog at www.mrsjaybob.com

Comment

• O2BNGdHope
      Digi Sage
      • Nov 2007

Being the genealogist in my family, I loved your story, Vanessa. Thanks for making us stop and think about the origins of some countries. I learned about Australia in school of course but never actually thought of it as a "jail" before. And England was always a country with beautiful gardens but no wilderness areas left. Thanks for the history debate this morning. Made me stop and think.
      Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

Comment

• Vanessa
        Digi Sage
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by O2BNGdHope View Post
        Being the genealogist in my family, I loved your story, Vanessa. Thanks for making us stop and think about the origins of some countries. I learned about Australia in school of course but never actually thought of it as a "jail" before. And England was always a country with beautiful gardens but no wilderness areas left. Thanks for the history debate this morning. Made me stop and think.
        Do you know something. Having come from africa which is as massive as america, I really appreciate how small britain is and how crammed it is with people. But surprisingly enough there are still the odd few wild areas left here that are beautiful because they are remote, rugged and horrible places to live in. Just ask Mary (MH51), she will tell you what some of the northern most areas of scotland are like.

But most of the people here never get to leave britain even for a couple of weeks. Their lives are so much poorer for not having seen for instance, the arid desert country of northern africa, or the high peaks and deep valleys in new zealand, caused by volcanic activity, or even the beauty in a rainforest.

Now me, I am really fortunate in that I have travelled quite widely, but the one country I would like to visit is america, particularly canada. Maybe one day I will get to visit my sister in Indiana and hop across the lakes and explore. I do envy her each time she writes to me and tells me of the deer in her back garden. She lives on the outskirts of bloomington, backing onto woodland. How lucky is that? But for the time being I will have to dream.

Comment

• mswizard
          Digi Sage
          • Mar 2007

Love the history lessons! Thank you vanessa. I had read a historical novel years ago about the start of the Australian colony started for convicts, the government and all things that happened there..I was hooked..So very interesting. I only wish I could remember the name of the book, had something to do with the first "Governor"

My Bud's 'R' Marion, Verleen and Jormanoy
          Love is not blind. It sees more not less and because it sees more, it's willing to see less.

Comment

• OnieRN
            Scrap Guru
            • May 2006

Vanessa, you better get that passport in order! A bunch of us on here are wanting to plan a meeting in about a year. We've talked about doing a cruise or something equally fun. I figure that after John and I get moved to Arizona, I will start to research the possibility of putting something together. Of course, I will put out a survey to get some idea of what everyone would enjoy and be willing to plan for!

Now, a trip to America just might sound like a good plan!
            sigpic OWNER OF THE B&B in SCRAPSVILLE

My Buddies are Maggie Mae, Knzus,Gotart, Patty, Mom7911, Winnie49, JAMIEPT, TWPClerk, and Poppabob
            !

nie

Comment

• grannywin
              Layout Whiz
              • Sep 2006

Being part of this international community is helping me get over sterotypes. I am getting to understand our differences and enjoy our sameness. I find it so fascinating getting to know people from difference countries and feeling like they are the neighbor next door. You are right Vanessa. We need to continue sharing our culture. OK Mel--what is the recipe for possum stew and where do I get a possum?

Comment

• O2BNGdHope
                Digi Sage
                • Nov 2007

I'll have to look up the recipe but you can get a 'possum off my deck most nights.
                Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

Comment

• Vanessa
                  Digi Sage
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by O2BNGdHope View Post
                  I'll have to look up the recipe but you can get a 'possum off my deck most nights.
                  You know what this means GrannyWin - our Mel got a little bit partial to Possum Stew. I can just see here decking now with it's squirrel feeder attached to the corner of the house and a big mouse trap attached so Mel can "catch me a possum" regular like for the stewpot. Gotta feed the family somehow. Shhhh... just don't tell the animal rights people, cause they will be camping out at Mel's front gate.
                  Luv ya Mel

Comment

• jazzieal
                    Digi Sage
                    • Sep 2006

Very interesting history reading Vanessa and all so very true..oppossiums are common around here..I went on my front porch one night and there was the biggest one I had ever seen going thru a bag of trash someone had thrown out there(too lazy to put it in the can) I scared him to death when I turned on the light..he froze...I remember when I was a little girl going to the country to visit my uncle, going down a little dirt road and one sitting in the road when the head lights hit him he froze too..my dad got out and got him..put him in the trunk and took him to my uncle..they made possum stew but I wouldnt eat any..its very very greasy...It takes all races, creeds, cultures to make up this world and we all should work to know more about them and to get along with each other...reguardless...
                    My Buddy's Are Crops2dawn, Sue, Eye, Eng, Smiley, Kimbob, PKDoll and Autistic Wonder

Visit my Blog http://wordstodelite.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Vanessa
                      Digi Sage
                      • Apr 2008

Firstly, Jazzieal, what exactly is a possum? I assumed they were like a squirrel, but they sound much bigger, more like a racoon.

Actually I would just like to give you an example of how people get it so wrong and cannot live and let live.

When my ex-husband and I first came back to the UK, we had two kiddies. My eldest, was school age and the youngest had a couple of years to go before starting school. Anyway when I first took Danielle to school here, she was so unhappy there, because all the kids were calling her a "Paki". The teachers had introduced Danielle as the new kid who came from Africa, and because the other children didn't know better and had heard their parents speaking about people in a decidedly racist way, they started to call her a "Paki". The parents of course denied ever using such terms and could not understand where their kids had heard the term.

"Paki" is a very derogatory way of referring to Indian people from India and the Indian sub-continent. These kids were only about 7 or 8 and didn't know better, and could not have got it more wrong if they tried. Danielle is very light skinned, blonde and blue eyed, (definitely caucasian).

This is the way that racial tensions and hatred is passed on from one generation to another. Something else I could not believe when I came back here was just how racist the people of this country are. I was never brought up with the kind of racism that I have seen in the UK and I find it quite shocking and disgusting how hurtful people can be because they don't understand other races and don't want to make the effort to get to know them either. I wish they would try, because I think everyone's lives would be a little richer if they did.

Comment

• angelwithin
                        MAX! Mastermind
                        • Nov 2006

I hear you on the racisim Vanessa, I'm not racist in any way what so ever, colour, creed, dress style, ideals don't matter to me and never have (but i'm lucky i guess being pyschic and able see peoples auras mean i see the 'inner' angel in everyone first...hence my screen name ) but i live in a quite racist area, my sister in law is afro carribean, my cousin's wife is chinese, one of my closest school friends had arab parents, and another friend was from pakistan and the rest of my family are scottish, irish, french welsh and romany (yup i was called gypsy, pikie, trash etc at school) so i was brought up in a very multicultral extended family

if people only took the time to talk and get to know each other without pre-conceptions first they would realise that colour, creed, cultural differences etc are nothing to fear, people are afterall just ONE race....humans and in the eyes of the powers above we are all just little glowing lights of rainbow colours

this is where the internet is fabulous....you see on my screen settings you are all BLUE to me

oh on another note....you forgot to mention the revolting english dish of jellied eels *pukes*

An Exclusive Scrapbook Max designer
                        , Check out my store
                        Here

"If you look around and think the world is missing something, it is probably the gift you were supposed to be bringing."

Comment

• mint
                          Layout Whiz
                          • Oct 2006

Grate . We got a lot of convicts here also. were sold as indentured servant's. can you Imagen stealing bread because your family were starving and finding your whole family sold as slaves in America. not all slaves were black.
                          Way back when I was a kid we still did not have electric we had lamps. and an out house. Yes lades even in winter.
                          We had a spring house where spring water flowed and had a walk around in side kelp milk butter all things that needed to be cold in it was so cold there even in summer. now Ozarka gets bottled watter from those same springs in east Texas today.
                          possum is a meat just like any other best when bar-b-que ed
                          if you try one catch in a live trap put in cage for a couple of weeks feed veg scraps and corn.
                          does not tast like chicken tast like pork.
                          Mint

buddies are- angelwithin

Comment

• *eng*
                            MAX! Mastermind
                            • Apr 2006

I ive in a very multi cultural town and have quite a diverse family.The furthest I have been is Scotland because I have family there. Vanessa you should be a teacher, so well expressed and so knowledgeable.
                            My BUDDIES Crops, Eye, Jazz, Smile, Sue, Rosana,twpclerk, Moonlightpearl and Vanessa

Comment

• Vanessa
                              Digi Sage
                              • Apr 2008

I don't know about being a teacher Eng - maybe if it was little kids. Love em and would have a half a dozen if I could give them away again at 12.

Back to racism. You girls will not believe this. When I left Rhodesia, I moved to South Africa. I hadn't lived there long when I witnessed an accident. A car hit a black man who was riding his bicycle and he was lying in the road, unconscious and bleeding. I rang for an ambulance, an was asked "A white or a black ambulance miss?" Stupid me, I did not know what they were on about and said "Pardon". The guy on the other end of the phone said again "A white or a black ambulance miss?". I told him to stop mucking about, all ambulances were white with red crosses on the side", whereupon he said "Is it for a white man or a black man?" I could not believe what I was hearing and said to him, "What bloody difference does it make what colour he is, he is lying in the road, bleeding and in pain, just like you would be if a car ran you over". He said, well "I take it he is a black man, well he can't ride in a white ambulance, he might contaminate it". Do you know they sent a clapped out old landrover to fetch him that only had a stretcher in the back. If the guy lived he was a very lucky man. Needless to say I did not stop there for long. What an attitude.

Comment

Working...
                              X