• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanessa
    Digi Sage
    • Apr 2008

Vista - God Help Us

I am sure there must be someone out there who likes Vista. I just haven't come across anyone who does yet.

Microsoft in their wisdom have put out this program that is so different in appearance to the previous versions of windows and has so many bugs in it that it beggars belief.

Yet again the average guy on the street is the guinea pig for testing the program until Microsoft get it right - probably service pack 2. That seems about par for the course for them.

They honestly expect people, and yes there are still a lot of them out there, who have never used a computer in their lives, to know where to install programs to and not to change the install directory to Documents. As you may or may not know I am teaching a lady in Australia how to use PSP8 on Vista, via email tutorials. I am about to go out and buy a wig to replace all the hair I have pulled out this weekend. She obviously is one of those few who never had any training on previous version of Windows in what you can and cannot do to the Operating System.

It has taken me two days to find out that she has 3 different resident Paintshoppro8 programs on her computer in different locations on her hard drive, and can't understand that you cannot do this. It destabilises the system. Then she wonders why Paintshop freezes up every time she opens it.

It is like beating your head against a brick wall trying to get across to someone who is not computer literate that work needs to be backed up in case of a computer crash, and that the 3 copies of Paintshop needs to be removed and one clean copy installed in the correct directory or her program will never run properly and with Vista being so crappy it could just kill Vista if her computer is left like it is.

Poppabob, I can understand why you keep your distance from Vista. You are a wise man.
    Me, I wont have it, if I can avoid it and Eye, I can understand why you hate it so much. I sympathise dear

OK you can get the violins out now, I have had my whinge and I feel a bit better. Feel free to add your tuppence worth too.
  • eye
    MAX! Mastermind
    • Jul 2006

I hate VistaWen we buy our computer we have no say as it is installed in all computers.Of coarse I got my vista when it should not have been put out and it has alot of rotten ways.I will never like Visa.
    sigpic
    My Buddies -- Sue, Smiles, Jazzereal, Eng, Crops, Terry & Wolvsie35 , Onie, Marion, Jenna's Mommy, All My Memories, Winnie49, Tiffanys Scraps, Grannywin,emst

Comment

• TNLori
      Mad Scrapper
      • Nov 2007

We have Vista on one of our computers at work. The rest all use XP. The Vista computer can't communicate with any of our printers very well, and the $20,000 software package that we bought for the engineers to use last year? It doesn't speak Vista, either, which wouldn't be so bad if the one Vista computer in our plant didn't belong to the engineer...

We had so much trouble with it that when my Gateway laptop died last fall, I resurrected the old Sony from 2000 to use just so I wouldn't have to deal with Vista in my home. The Sony's screen was held in with duct tape, it's battery had long since given up the ghost when it came to holding a charge for longer than a nano-second, and most of it's 8gig of storage was taken up with some sort of virus that ate up any available space as soon as you freed it up. And it was slower than Christmas! Yet, this was preferable to having Vista invade my home.

I was able to buy a new laptop a couple of months ago from Dell that has XP Home on it. For a few extra $$, I could have ordered XP Pro. So for now, you *can* get a computer with XP again.
      Lori in Tennessee
      Scrappin' since November 2007

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.

My Buddy is Ryansmom66.

Comment

• O2BNGdHope
        Digi Sage
        • Nov 2007

Yes, Lori. I've been looking at laptops and the only place offering XP is Dell and only on a couple versions. But at least they have it. Yea!
        Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

Comment

• TNLori
          Mad Scrapper
          • Nov 2007

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1520 and absolutely love it. I got the really cool Flamingo Pink color. My coworkers think it's just the most adorable thing they've seen. I think they need to get out more...
          Lori in Tennessee
          Scrappin' since November 2007

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.

My Buddy is Ryansmom66.

Comment

• Granny
            MAX! Mastermind
            • Mar 2006

May I clarify something for you fine ladies out there....

You "can" get XP in any new computer. All you have to do is tell the folks where you buy your computer that you want XP in it. You do have to pay extra for the XP operating system, which is about $200-$300. I have asked many stores and the internet and all will do it. You just got to pay extra. And it's a good idea to have them do it, because it's a lot of work to remove Vista and install XP.

sigpic

Marion , Steve, Moonbeam, Ladybug, Wolvsie, Fourfoxes, Vanessa, PinkLollipop and Winnie49 are my buddies!!!

Please visit my Max Store

Comment

• O2BNGdHope
              Digi Sage
              • Nov 2007

Hmmm.....OK. Thanks, Granny. I'll try that. But when I tried to customize online, they didn't offer XP anywhere except Dell and they only offered it on 2 versions. Maybe I have to call it in. I hate doing that but if I can get what I want, it'll be worth it.
              Melanie

In case I go missing call Moonlightpearl, Granny, twpclerk or Smile! Then have them call Crops because we're probably together at the Yoville Races!

Comment

• Vanessa
                Digi Sage
                • Apr 2008

Something Useful

Just for those of you that have Vista and struggle with it.

This poor guy has written a series of short tutorials on Vista and the changes Microsoft has made.

We Have Tutorials, Guides, Articles, Tips and Tricks, Software Reviews, Free Tools and Much More for ALL Windows Versions!

Comment

• Marion
                  MAX! Mastermind
                  • Feb 2006

I must be a exception to the rule, I got vista on my new computer about a month or so ago, and after just a few days of adjusting to the new look, I have not had any problems with it. There are a lot of settings you can adjust that makes it act just like XP. So far only a few programs have not been compatible, but with the majority I had no problems so far.

Comment

• crops2dawn
                    MAX! Mastermind
                    • Jul 2006

Standing on the sidelines, waving me hand... I like Vista....LOL Honestly I had only 1 problem with it, it didnt take my scanner, I had to download an update for it, no big deal, and it works just fine. Yes, its a little diffferent, and I sooo wanted to stay with XP...but quite frankly I am happy with it.. So now you at least know 1 person who doesnt hate it....hahahahaha

My Buddies: Jazz, Smile, Sue, Eng and Eye "CHILLS", Poppabob, PKdoll, Onie, Pickngrin

Comment

• crops2dawn
                      MAX! Mastermind
                      • Jul 2006

Ok make that 2 people.... ya snuck up on me Marion...LOL

My Buddies: Jazz, Smile, Sue, Eng and Eye "CHILLS", Poppabob, PKdoll, Onie, Pickngrin

Comment

• babydoll37
                        • May 2008

I have it to and I haven't had any problems so far with it and I have had mine since first of the year.

Comment

• Vanessa
                          Digi Sage
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by babydoll37 View Post
                          I have it to and I haven't had any problems so far with it and I have had mine since first of the year.
                          At least there are some people out there who like it, I was beginning to think it was the most hated program out.

Comment

• eye
                            MAX! Mastermind
                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Vanessa View Post
                            At least there are some people out there who like it, I was beginning to think it was the most hated program out.
                            My hate makes up for the whole world.
                            sigpic
                            My Buddies -- Sue, Smiles, Jazzereal, Eng, Crops, Terry & Wolvsie35 , Onie, Marion, Jenna's Mommy, All My Memories, Winnie49, Tiffanys Scraps, Grannywin,emst

Comment

• Vanessa
                              Digi Sage
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by eye View Post
                              My hate makes up for the whole world.
                              Eye, Have a little look at the site that I posted the link for hon, it might help you with Vista.

Comment

Working...
                              X