• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carena
    Digi Sage
    • Jun 2007

September Designer Monthy Challenge by Carena

Hi everyone.
    I have a great challenge for you this month and it involves doing extractions using the Eraser tool in SBM Version 2. Now I didn't say it was going to be easy but that's what I'm here to do - CHALLENGE YOU.

Challenge:
    1. Take a photo of something easy to extract. By this I mean something simple with square or rounded edges. In my example I went for an apple (basic round shape).
    2. Extract the item you choose and save it as a PNG.
    3. Scrap a layout using your extraction.

Here is a few pictures of the process.
    Step 1 - My example of an apple. - Keep it a simple image without too many edges. You can move on to more complicated items once you have mastered it.
    I would ususally go for a hard edge brush - that is slide the softness slider to the far left. You can see the black dot on the right edges change to much harder for defined edge rather than fuzzy. Pick the size brush that best fits your image. In my case this image of the apple is extremely big so I used the biggest brush size 200 px.
    Slowly start working your way around the image and rub out.
    To get the very large close up as I did use the Alt and Scroll button on mouse to zoom in. To get the best results its best to zoom in very close.
    Hold the SHIFT button down as you click around the image will give you a straight line from your last click to the next. For the apple I used very small movements or I'd get a apple with square sides. LOL.

Step 2: Shows a mistake - OH NO - I went in the wrong place - Well no problem use the Paint Brush (shown) and rub back over where you didn't want to erase and it magically re-appears. To continue - don't forget to click back on the eraser again.
    You can click OK and it will take you out of the erasor screen and back to your image. You can click again and continue again but I don't think you can correct a mistake then. Any corrections must be done while in the erasor screen before exit.

Step 3: After you have finished - I had my apple selected and right click and look for "SAVE AS PNG". Save it onto your computer naming and placing it somewhere you will remember where it is. Remember to keep the file name with .png on the end or it won't save right.

Finally - For the Challenge, I would like you to show your extraction in the gallery in 2 steps. 1st: show your extraction along side the original image. See my example in next post. 2nd I now want you to scrap a layout and include your extracted item (whatever it might be) in the layout. Choose any kit you like - any theme - add a photos or whatever but you must include your extracted item in it somewhere.
    3rdly - congratulate yourself for sticking with it and with me. It's a trickly challenge I know but you can be extremely proud of yourself. Now you can look forward to trying this out more often.

p: Shows a mistake - OH NO - I went in the wrong place - Well no problem use the Paint Brush (shown) and rub back over where you didn't want to erase and it magically re-appears. To continue - don't forget to click back on the eraser again.
    You can click OK and it will take you out of the erasor screen and back to your image. You can click again and continue again but I don't think you can correct a mistake then. Any corrections must be done while in the erasor screen before exit.

Step 3: After you have finished - I had my apple selected and right click and look for "SAVE AS PNG". Save it onto your computer naming and placing it somewhere you will remember where it is. Remember to keep the file name with .png on the end or it won't save right.

Finally - For the Challenge, I would like you to show your extraction in the gallery in 2 steps. 1st: show your extraction along side the original image. See my example in next post. 2nd I now want you to scrap a layout and include your extracted item (whatever it might be) in the layout. Choose any kit you like - any theme - add a photos or whatever but you must include your extracted item in it somewhere.
    3rdly - congratulate yourself for sticking with it and with me. It's a trickly challenge I know but you can be extremely proud of yourself. Now you can look forward to trying this out more often.

Load up to the Design Team Challenge Gallery:

Now the main thing you might all like to extract are people - adults and children. There are many, many stunning layouts in the gallery which have used this technique. You can make some amazing scenes and they'd be fantastic for making your very own fantasy childrens story book with none other than your very own children. Image there delight in reading about themself. Printed into a hard cover book would be a treasured for a life time and imagine reading to the next generation a book with you - that is the childs Mum or Dad in the store.

Example done by experts Kit: By Frog Pond by Carena's Designs - You too can get this good with practice.
    This is done my emst (Elaine is well practiced at extraction and she loves to extract her grandchildren. Check out her gallery and be inspired - clicking layout will take you there)
    Last edited by Carena; 09-02-2012, 10:51 PM.
    Kind wishes from Carena
    Scrapbook Max Digital Designer
    Visit me in the store Here also grab my blinkie if you wish.
  • Carena
    Digi Sage
    • Jun 2007

Here is my image of what I started with and my end result. I'll be back with my layout some time after dinner. See you later.

Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Carena
      Digi Sage
      • Jun 2007

OK and here is my apple in a layout.

Can't wait to see how everyone goes with this challenge.
      Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Wendy M
        Mad Scrapper
        • Feb 2012

Great challenge!! For the first time I have used the eraser in detail. I have gone a step further and created a new butterfly with the pieces of the old one. I added some shadows to give it the real effect. Here are the steps below..I could not upload PNG files. Can anyone help with this issue? The Picture is just a random one from google.

Comment

• Wendy M
          Mad Scrapper
          • Feb 2012

Will come back tomorrow with a LO

Comment

• fonzzy
            Layout Whiz
            • Feb 2011

wow love your page Carena great extraction

Comment

• fonzzy
              Layout Whiz
              • Feb 2011

Comment

• Carena
                Digi Sage
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Wendy M View Post
                Great challenge!! For the first time I have used the eraser in detail. I have gone a step further and created a new butterfly with the pieces of the old one. I added some shadows to give it the real effect. Here are the steps below..I could not upload PNG files. Can anyone help with this issue? The Picture is just a random one from google.
                WOW looking amazing and I'm so pleased to have given you a push into this direction.
                Looks like you've done a great job. The feelers are very difficult being so fine and difficult to see.
                My suggestion if you want to complete the butterfly with some feelers - this is how I'd go about it.
                1. once you have you butterfly completely extracted - I would search for another butterfly that you might have already from another kit. Bring it in with your own butterfly. Position it so the feelers are in the right position for your butterfly and then erase the other butterfly and leave just the feelers. If positioned right, they should look like they belong to yours. You can then save again as a PNG =- this time with the new feelers. Doing this is fine for your own use.

Note: Images from the internet still have copyright. IF you were wanting to share then it should be photo's taken with your own camera or an image with that is OK to use for this purpose with owners permission.

Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Wendy M
                  Mad Scrapper
                  • Feb 2012

Thanks Carena. Wil try the feelers tomorrow with my LO.

Comment

• Saviscrap
                    • Nov 2011

So..I did a person, this is my nephew and I placed him very simply in a fantasy background...not sure what else needed to be in there lol

Hope it's ok!

Oh and I tried to save my erased image as a png and stick it in here but said it wasn't an ecceptable file format ??

Comment

• Letha
                      Layout Whiz
                      • Feb 2007

cool challenge Carena. I'll be back after I finish pages in an Women of Honor Book I am doing for my church. They are making sure they keep me busy!

Comment

• Wendy M
                        Mad Scrapper
                        • Feb 2012

Wench I got the same message so I just saved it as a jpeg.

Comment

• Carena
                          Digi Sage
                          • Jun 2007

Guys - I think in order to have it save as a PNG - you have to do the extraction first with nothing else on your page. I suspect you may have already added your background and then tried saving png and it won't work.
                          You MUST have just the extracted image on your page ONLY to save as PNG. Besides, every time you spend so much time extracting an image, you need to save it as a PNG - even if you think - Oh I don't need that image again you will probably be surprised how often you might use it.
                          Children are a favorite of mine that I like to use time and time again in my layouts.
                          Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Carena
                            Digi Sage
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by wench View Post
                            So..I did a person, this is my nephew and I placed him very simply in a fantasy background...not sure what else needed to be in there lol

Hope it's ok!

Oh and I tried to save my erased image as a png and stick it in here but said it wasn't an ecceptable file format ??

Kaye - Perfect job. What I love beside the fact you have done a great looking extraction job, is that your nephew colouring and tones match perfectly with the background image tones.
                            NOTE: Also you have placed him in a area of the page that is in full sun and your nephew's photo was taken in full sun. Great job with this. IF for example he had been in the shade, then the placement into the picture should also be in the shade.
                            There is alot to learn about these sort of layouts. Light and shade and colour tonings is a major part of it and to make the picture totally believable. When taken a step further you can start looking at shadows also. It's an amazing learning curve but can make the most amazing layouts. Really it takes scrapbooking a further step and into the area of becoming a form of Digital Art.

Just want to say we are Scrapbook Max Software is truly amazing in that so much of what I might do in Photoshop is actually possible in SBM Version 2. All it takes is a great deal of knowledge and exploring and enthusiasm with a thirst for learning new things.

For those who have never tried these sort of techniques - please I say give it a go. Once you give it a try, I'm sure you will find enthusiasm that you never knew you had. It's certainly a lot of fun.
                            Last edited by Carena; 09-03-2012, 03:59 PM.
                            Kind wishes from Carena

Comment

• Wendy M
                              Mad Scrapper
                              • Feb 2012

Carena I did save as PNG but Scrapbookmax would not let you upload a PNG. Here is my LO. I just love this challenge will do another one soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X