• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wolvsie35
    MAX! Mastermind
    • Apr 2007

Scrappin' Challenge 34 - Part 2

Ok ladies...We had a great number of participants for this one, so it should be fun... *crossing fingers* lol Now, this challenge isn't to create enemies, it's just being honest with each other...and I think we lack that in forums...*just my opinion* Well instead of rambling on, I will just get to it...lol...

I will be giving you a name of someone who participated in Part 1's challenge, and you are to observe the layout they made..Look at it carefully...We are going to give some LAYOUT FEEDBACK...Now I know this sounds scary and you are thinking you are going to hurt someone's feelings...But your not...This could help them grow more with creativity or new ideas...I had someone do this for me, looking at 10 of my layouts, and I can't thank her enough....I learned a lot from the experience, and I thought you might too...Doesn't mean you have to listen to them...LOL...we all have different styles...this just gives an opinion and might give you a varity of ways to make your layouts dfferent...and to your liking....So here is what I want you to do to try to get more Ooh's and Aah's on your layouts...

I am going to post a checklist here...You are to rate the person I give you...Just copy and paste the checklist and answer the questions with a number between 1 and 5...
    1 meaning excellent and 5 needs work...ok? Here we go....(At the end of this list I will post your partners...(*in scrapping crime*) lol...

1. BACKGROUND
    How does the background look?
    Does it add to or take away from the overall effect of the page?
    Does the colors work well together/
    Is there enough texture for visual interest?

2. PHOTO'S
    Are the photo's in proportion?
    Is the primary photo easy to see?
    Does the colors look balanced?
    Are the photo's cropped effectively?
    Too dark or light?

3.TEXT (if added)
    Does the title font effect the emotion of the page?
    Is the journaling wasy to read?
    Is the amount of text used appropriate for the page?

4.EMBELLISHMENTS
    Do the embellishments fit the page?
    How is the sizing of the embellishments?
    Do they compliment the page?

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN
    Is the page pleasently full but not filled?
    Do you think others enjoy this page?
    Does the page tell a story that's easy to understnad?

Thhats it....So here are your partners...Good luck..and remember, eb honest...Thanks...
    Kimmyann- you have ksd
    Linda - you have TheFreeSpirit
    Mary - you have Ronda
    sj3girls - you have Day dreamer'Pixygirl - you have Edng
    Pixygirl - you have lemonade
    Frannie - you have pmeparker
    Maureen - you have tin tin
    Molly51 - you have Valerie
    Valerie - you have kimmyann
    tin tin - you have Linda
    pmeparker - you have Mary
    lemonade - you have sj3girls
    Edina - you have Pixygirl
    dayDreamer - you have Frannie
    Ronda - Maureen
    Thefreespirit - Molly 57
    ksd - you have tin tin
    Last edited by wolvsie35; 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM.
    I am a Designer 4 ScrapbookMax! Check out my STORE...Thanks!

• lindaathome
    Digi Sage
    • Jan 2010

My oh my Wolvsie, you weren't kidding when you said you had a surprise in store for us. Tin tin, lay it on me. I have broad shoulders and I am open to suggestions on things I can do to improve my layouts. I see some gorgeous layouts in the Galleries and I want to grow into one of those scrappers that gets a lot of oohs an ahs.. I know I have plenty of room for growth and change, so please be honest with what you think. Now if you think everything is just perfect, well now..... rofl.... (hee hee)
    I am a proud Member of the Following Creative Teams

My friends are Angelwithin, Carena, Daydreamer, Dillie1, Eye. Frannieanne, Granny, Janarae, KimmyAnn, ksd_24_f, Marion, Moonbeam, The FreeSpirit and Wolvsie35

Comment

• ksd_24_f
      Layout Whiz
      • Nov 2009

Well this one should be an easy one - I have no problems rippin' into my cousins LO!! ha ha - I just convinced her to sign up with us into this crazy addictive scrapbookin' world! Tin Tin is my couz!! But I promise to be honest.. I'll go print the list and check it twice!
      Kimmy Ann - I'm sooo happy you're checkin' my LO 'cause I love your stuff and you've shown me how to do most of the tricks I've learnt so far!! Can't wait to hear what other stuff you've got up your sleeve for me
      Great Challenge Wovsie - I hope the surgery went o.k and you're healing quickly! Sending you loves!
      Kel
      xxoo

Comment

• ksd_24_f
        Layout Whiz
        • Nov 2009

K, so I'll go first... - and she was supposed to make me lunch tomorrow...hmmmmmm wonder if that'll still be happening! LOL
        BACKGROUND - 4 Only because I'm not a big fan of corners and I'm not huge on the color contrast between the orange and the grey - but I like the orange striped paper you used, I find it compliments the pictures.
        PHOTO'S- 5 Working with a GORGEOUS subject, the pictures are clear and totally adorable. Well cropped, good lighting
        TEXT - 3 I find the wording is beautiful, tells the story well - but it's a bit too fuzzy. I would try a different font and maybe not a textured print.
        EMBELLISHMENTS - 4 this one is hard to rate, because we were limited with the embellishments we were allowed to use. I love the way you used them, good shadowing and well placed, but the flowers don't quite go with the pictures. - But again, if you were allowed to use a car or some ABC blocks or some boy toys.. it would fit the LO better.
        OVERALL PAGE DESIGN - 4 - I really like the LO - I think you're doing a fantastic job! And you'll just get better and better as you join us on these fun challenges!

soo, I'll take a grill cheese with chicken noodle soup??... ha ha - See you at noon!

Kel

Comment

• tin tin
          Digi Sage
          • Oct 2010

Wow! I was waiting all day patiently, and now I think I want to go back to waiting. Lol. I was completely not expecting that. Being new and all I will try to reply as best I can. Still don't know what I am doing.
          KSD - Coming from you, it might make it easier to hear (just kidding) I appreciate the feedback (otherwise I would not already ask a ton of questions)
          Way to break a girl in ladies
          Somewhere in all the madness lies the beauty within

Comment

• lindaathome
            Digi Sage
            • Jan 2010

Well tin tin, nI was reading through the list and I see you were assigned to 2 people, so I guess you are the lucky one to get the most help. now you can lay it on me. And I won't expect lunch tomorrow either. lol. It's great that you and Kel are cousins.

Okay FreeSpirit, here we go.

Background - 4. I like how it coordinates with Gramp's pants, and doesn't take away from the picture. It has texture for a plain paper.

Photos - 5. I love the photo. The size suits the page as you have it designed. Placing the frame around Scarlett draws you right to her as the focal point of the page.

Text - 3. I love how you wrapped the Text around half of the circle. The font for me personally is a little hard to read.

Embellishments - 4. I love how your flower coordinates with the flowers in Scarlett's jacket. I would like the color to match her jacket a little more. It is in the same shade as her pants, but her jacket is what jumps out from the page the most to me. I love how you made your corner from paper and I love the arrow you used.

Overall Page Design - 4. I think you did a great job with the placement and scale of everything to really work well together.

I'm always in love with your layouts though, so not automatically giving you a perfect 5 on every thing was a Challenge for me.
            Last edited by lindaathome; 11-15-2010, 08:44 PM.
            I am a proud Member of the Following Creative Teams

My friends are Angelwithin, Carena, Daydreamer, Dillie1, Eye. Frannieanne, Granny, Janarae, KimmyAnn, ksd_24_f, Marion, Moonbeam, The FreeSpirit and Wolvsie35

Comment

• Edina
              • Oct 2010

Just confused by this line - is there an Edng or is that me? And further down the list you have Pixygirl listed as having lemonade. Just making sure I know who is going to tear my layout apart! lol (No worries - there are a couple things I would do differently looking at it again!)

Originally posted by wolvsie35 View Post
              sj3girls - you have Day dreamer'Pixygirl - you have Edng

Comment

• Edina
                • Oct 2010

My critique of PixyGirl's layout

1. BACKGROUND 4
                I like the simple background. It's not flashy and distracting and it doesn't just fade away. It matches your lined paper very nicely.

2. PHOTO'S 4
                Photo is a little dark (but that may just be my screen). With the big one I'm not fond of it fading out around the edges with this layout but I LOVE what you did with the smaller picture! I love that you used the same picture twice and zoomed in on it and cropped it nicely. The larger photo also seems to fade away into the backgroud too much as I'm looking at it - but again that may just be my screen.

3.TEXT (if added) N/A

4.EMBELLISHMENTS 3
                I'm torn about the embellishments. Like I said before I love what you did with the small picture so I like the frame, paper scrap, flower and string. Not loving the staples and circle. I know it was really hard for me to tie in all the elements so it's very understanding that something stood out like this. The only reason I'm not feeling the love for it is that it just draws my eye to it too much.

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN 4
                I like this layout overall. It's simple and to the point but the smaller picture (reminds me of a Polaroid) really does it for me! The staples and circle just draw a bit too much attention to themselves and away from the main focus of the smaller picture... maybe if they were brass coloured elements? The colours used work well with the subject matter of the photo and enhance the overall earthy feeling. And I can't see why others wouldn't like this layout as well as it's a strong un-cluttered layout.

Hope that works for you!

Comment

• sj3girls
                  • Dec 2009

I'm up for a fresh perspective!!! Since the only perspective I get is mine...well and the kids, but they love everything I make (especially since they are usually the subject). LOL!

So, lemonade...lay it on me! I'd love to hear what you think. You won't hurt my feelers!!

Michelle...hugs on the surgery and the difficulty healing. I hope this week is better with all of that.
                  ~ sj3girls ~

Comment

• sj3girls
                    • Dec 2009

Ok daydreamer...hope you're ready! (I don't bite...I promise! LOL)

1. BACKGROUND - 4 - Love the color and love the edging! Only suggestion I have is maybe make it textured or have a faint overlay of words (like "happy birthday") in different fonts and in different directions all over the background.

2. PHOTO'S - 5 - Cute photo!! Very fun and happy. I'd love to see more pics of the birthday on there (but that's just me...I have a hard time just putting one picture in a layout...too many to choose from!). And I like that it is off to one side and not centered on the page. I don't know if you cropped it any, but it'd be neat to see some of the background too.

3.TEXT (if added) - 4 - I really like the "birthday boy" word art (or does that fall under embellishments??). As for the caption, I like the font and the color...very boy-ish. It could be a little bigger so it's easier to read...but it's not really hard to read as is. I'm torn, though...part of me says add more text and tell more about the birthday celebration...and part of me says it adds to the simplicity of the page. I think I lean more toward more journaling!

4.EMBELLISHMENTS - 3 - Very cute embellishments! Love the colors and how they work together. The embies around the photo are terrific. And I like the corner one too...but something isn't quite right. It doesn't seem to "go" with the page. The colors are good, but with the frayed edge of the background, a corner right there seems out of place. Since we had to put in a corner and string...maybe make a journal tag (hanging from the photo cluster with a string) and put corners on it and such?

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN - 4 - Wonderful page! I like how it is simple and we're drawn right to the picture.
                    ~ sj3girls ~

Comment

• TheFreeSpirit
                      Layout Whiz
                      • Jan 2008

Molly51, here is your critique.

1. BACKGROUND - 4

Great background, I like the cool tone which is easy on the eye and it works well with the lined notebook pages. It has a nice texture and suggests a masculine tone.

2. PHOTOS
                      N/A

3.TEXT
                      N/A

4.EMBELLISHMENTS - 3

I love the flower that you have chosen. It lifts your page and gives it life. I've noticed that people avoid using flowers on masculine layouts but I think men like flowers too! The colour of the flower compliments the neutral scheme and gives it a vibrancy without which the page might be bland.

I like the arrow placed to draw attention to the photo, although I am not sure about the colour and without seeing a photo in place its difficult to judge. I think I might have used green to pick up the leaves, but that’s just me.

I really like the way that you have used the string, it gives a great effect and pulls the separate elements together.

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN 4

This was a very difficult page to critique; as there was no photo it was difficult to put the design into a specific context. I can't fault you for that because I can see that you did exactly what you were asked to do. However, its very hard to say what your personal style is, because your page lacks the intimacy of a photograph or journaling.

That said, I like your design very much. It has simplicity but its very funky. The layout clearly lends itself toward a male focus photo. There isn't much room for journaling but then some photos tell the story for themselves.

I like the colours - they are cool (rather than hot) but the flower gives warmth and I find that very appealing.

My only reservation is that your page has a lot going on in it and it could look a little busy once your photo is in place, but that remains to be seen.

Finally, here are some questions I would like to ask you:

What photo would you use in this layout?
                      Would you include any journaling or a title?
                      If you did, what font might you choose?
                      Where would you put your text?

Many blessings - FS xx
                      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

I walk on a rainbow trail
                      I walk on a trail of song
                      And all around me is beauty ~ Navajo Song

Comment

• TheFreeSpirit
                        Layout Whiz
                        • Jan 2008

Linda, thank you so much for your well thought out critique. I have found it very useful.

First, I would have to agree, the font I chose is slightly fuzzy to read. This may be to do with the upload process, but is certainly something to bear in mind when chosing fonts for the internet and something I need to be more aware of. I am a total font freak!

Secondly, I think you are right about the flower colour and when I have a moment I shall recolour the flower to see the difference. You spotted that I was trying to pick up the colour of Scarlet's leggies, but it was perhaps unecessary.

Michelle this has been such a fun challenge and very helpful. We can all learn so much from each other and having a constructive critique and honest opinion is very welcome.

Brightest blessings - FS xxx
                        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

Comment

• ksd_24_f
                          Layout Whiz
                          • Nov 2009

This is such a cool challenge, I keep reading ppls comments, going back to the previous thread to view the other person's lo again and getting what the other person is saying - so we're learning a lot not only from our own Lo's but others as well - very cool idea!
                          There's just one thing though.. that I just caught myself and I think everyone that has already gave a critic doing.. we're rating 5 as best and 1 as worst.. and I just rea-read Wolvsie's rating system - it's the other way around.. Whoops! But I guess with the comments beside, we all get the gist of the rating!
                          I went back to your LO Tin Tin and I just wanted to add one more thing to the general LO part - I always click on Print preview before I save my last copy 'cause sometimes it just gives you a better picture than that of your scrapmax screen. If you were to print that one out, you'd have a lot more open space at the top of your page than the bottom. It might have been on purpose, but I would have centered it a bit more.. That's it Keep up the good work!! You're doing awesome and by the looks of your scrapbook album on FB - you're officially as addicted at the rest of us!!

Comment

• Frannieanne
                            • Oct 2010

prmeparker

1. BACKGROUND-4.5 I like the way you put the background and embellishments together. I would like a little blue in background to match shirt in photo

2. PHOTO'S-4 would like to see the photo a little lighter, especially on the right side.

3.TEXT (if added)-4 I liked the placement of the text, just a little dark on the back ground.

4.EMBELLISHMENTS-5 I love the way you placed your embellishments. The arrow is great. I had trouble finding a place that I liked my arrow. I love the newspaper corners.

5.OVERALL PAGE DESIGN-4.5 very personable, the setup seems to fit the child in the photograph. It seems to accent his personality.

Comment

• TheFreeSpirit
                              Layout Whiz
                              • Jan 2008

There's just one thing though.. that I just caught myself and I think everyone that has already gave a critic doing.. we're rating 5 as best and 1 as worst.. and I just rea-read Wolvsie's rating system - it's the other way around.. Whoops! But I guess with the comments beside, we all get the gist of the rating!
                              Ooops! Well spotted! I guess we all assumed (and you know what ASSUME does )

So Molly, I will just confirm my intent to give you a high mark not a low mark!

BB - FS xx

Comment

Working...
                              X