PDA

View Full Version : Grandparent Names

srussell
09-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm curious to know what are some of the names your grandchildren call you or you called your grandparents? Especially outside the States...

I'll start it off... :)

Grandfather - "Ga"
Grandmother - "Grammy"

KristyAnn
09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
ok am french canadian so my grandson calls me grandmaman and my husband is english so he calls him gramp's...on his mom's side its italian...

MaggieMae
09-06-2006, 01:58 PM
I called my grandparents from England "Nana" and "Papa" - I don't know if that's very English or not!:):)

Granny
09-06-2006, 03:11 PM
My mom's mom was called Mamaita, and grandpa was Papaito.

Dad's mom was Abuelita, and his pop, Abuelito.

Granny :)

Winnie49
09-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Great idea Steve to know little more how we call our granparents.

My granparents from peru, grandmom was called graciela and we called her abuela chela and my grandfather was alberto but we called him abuelo chelo, (chela for grandmom and chelo because was shortly and cute for us) and i remember that my cousins called their grandmom, mamama.

Here my daugthers called their grandparents, nonna Gio and nonno vito, almost with their names, and also the same with the grandparents in peru
My husband and i called her grandmom Nonnina

wendy

Marion
09-06-2006, 06:32 PM
My heritage is Dutch so we are called Oma and Opa by our 6 grandchildren. (And all the kids in the neighborhood!!!)
Which is what I called my grandparents as well.
My grandson Dylan once introduced me to his teacher as his "Grandma called Oma"

Marion

poppabob
09-06-2006, 06:34 PM
The kids call the wife's mom "Grammy" and my grand-daughters are the ones that gave me the moniker "Poppa Bob".

Kazr
09-06-2006, 10:23 PM
The Grandkids call me Nanna or Nanna Karyn, my Hubby was Pa.
My parents are called Nanny & Pop (or Poppy).

My Grandaughter Skye has Dutch also, so her grandparents from her Dad's side are called Oma & Opa.

MA3
09-07-2006, 11:43 AM
My Grand-Parents were called, Jedo( Oldman ) and Baba ( Old women ) ( I am American Croation decent, My Hubby is American Irish decent )
Our Grand-Daughters call us Nana and Papa....

babylicious36
09-14-2006, 07:02 PM
i called my grandparents nanna and poppa and my great grandmother is gran.
Skye-Leigh calls my mum nanny and my dad grumpy

juliehclark
09-15-2006, 12:35 AM
grammie
poppie
nana
grandbud

Jezza
09-15-2006, 03:35 AM
I call my grandparents Nanny + Pa (On my dad's side)

And on my mum's when they were alive, they were Nanna & Poppy

ToniNZ
09-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Nana
Pop
Gandy
Gran

Granny
09-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Ok, Steve, spill the beans!!!!

You got all these names, now what? You the curious type, are you getting info to blackmail us with, or do you have a plan in the greater scheme of things that you're going to tell us about?

Come, spit it out.......

Granny :rolleyes:

heartofwisdom
10-13-2006, 06:04 AM
I called my grandparents Grandma and Poppy. My children call my parents NaNa and Papa.

My favorite is what my granchildren call me-- Marmee. My dh is PaPa

Gizmo
10-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Being french decent we called our grand parents, memere for grand mother and pepere for grand father.

And in one month I become a pepere for the first time. :eek:

Marion
10-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Congratulations Pepere! You are going to have so much fun!

Marion

Granny
10-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Ah!!!! Viva la France!

Congratulations, pepere!!! Get the diapers ready!!!

Granny :D

*eng*
10-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Grandma and Grandad used to be popular. I used to have Dunstable Nana and Welwyn Nana because thats where they lived. Grandpa lived with Welwyn Nana. We lived with Dunstable Nana and Dad when I was young and I grew up calling my Grandfather 'Dad' because my father did! All went to heaven a long time ago and now I'm reminiscing.

sacannon
10-18-2006, 07:13 AM
My grandparents were the standard "Grandma and Grandpa". My mother however received a unique name from my Great Neice. "Nanna MooMoo".
The reason for this this was my Great Neice "Kari" lived in Florida at the time and my mother is in Toledo Ohio. When my mother was talking to "Kari" on the phone she had a stuffed cow that moo..d and she made it moo for Kari (when she was a toddler, she is now 11). Hence the name. Of course my mother was not fond of it. The moo moo has since been dropped.

kristyc1994
10-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Just plain old Grandma & Grandpa here....but I did call my dad's mom Grandma Kippy, because Kippy was the name of her dog!

My kids call their great-grandparents "Grandpa Great" and "Grandma Great". It's a tradition on my husband's side and I think it's so cute! It puts the emphasis on the GREAT!

The weirdest is that my kids call my husband's mom "Grandma Summer" - I'm not sure EXACTLY why, my son started it when he was a toddler, and all I can figure is that it's because she wears shorts until it snows! :rolleyes:

Kinda funny.

bcmtn_grl@hotmail.com
10-18-2006, 10:58 PM
German - Oma and Opa, but my girls will call my mom Omi - it's the more endearing term

Marion
10-19-2006, 05:49 AM
It's is Oma and Opa in Dutch too, and that is what my husband and I go by.
I was born and raised in the Netherlands.

Marion

sacannon
10-19-2006, 06:37 AM
My ancestry is Dutch on my Dads side, but it goes back to the mid 1600's in the Amsterdam area. Our name use to start with "Van" but was dropped long ago. I'd love to visit there sometime.