PDA

View Full Version : US$ versus A$

omajo
02-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Frankly speaking I love to buy the new released beautiful kits from our designers, but unfortunately the prices are in US$ and we pay in A$, at the moment 1US$ = A$ 1.55, so for me seems that the prices of kits has gone up 1.5x.

So everytime I have to cancel/delay my shopping,....:D
and be content with what's available.
oxox

Carena
02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi - This is the same for me with the New Zealand dollar. Currently I only buy when it's a good sale to make up for the exchange rates.

DGehman
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Interesting. I know there are political things involved in exchange rates, but I thought for the most part they were set at parity. That is, they are set such that daily items cost about the same in relation to prevailing wages.

A good 24-oz. (680 gram) loaf of bread (whole grain, real ingredients) costs $US 3-3.50 in my area. What does a similar loaf cost in Australia? Store-brand milk, 64 fluid oz (1.9 litres) is around $US 2.79. Boneless chicken breast = $US 4.99 /lb ($US 10.98 per kilogram).

How do your prices for similar items compare?

RachellIowa
02-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Interesting. I know there are political things involved in exchange rates, but I thought for the most part they were set at parity. That is, they are set such that daily items cost about the same in relation to prevailing wages.

A good 24-oz. (680 gram) loaf of bread (whole grain, real ingredients) costs $US 3-3.50 in my area. What does a similar loaf cost in Australia? Store-brand milk, 64 fluid oz (1.9 litres) is around $US 2.79. Boneless chicken breast = $US 4.99 /lb ($US 10.98 per kilogram).

How do your prices for similar items compare?

You know even here in the states prices very from place to place : Bread for 24oz is 2:69 and whole milk is 3:20 and 2 percent is 2:70 boneles chicken any where from 2:19 to3:20 lb guess I just looked at our store ad bonless chicken breast on sale .99 cents a pound gotta go buy some and freeze it.

Camrea Clicker
02-12-2009, 04:40 PM
the price diffrence is huge by how much im not sure but i know i cant aford to buy any thing that comes from the states as it would just cost way to much for me.

DGehman
02-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Camrea. I was asking about prices in Australia for goods grown or made in Australia. We don't see many Australian imports for the same reason -- too expensive once they've made it over to the US.

Rachel - interesting comparison of region. Here in the Northeast, we're thousands of miles from grain and meat agribusiness, so things tend to be a bit more expensive. Good bread when it's on sale around here is $2.50 and it won't stay on the shelf at that price.

Dave

O2BNGdHope
02-12-2009, 06:23 PM
What I'd like to see is what a kit would cost you from Australia and what it costs if you buy it in the states. I see prices from Canada and the US on things like books for instance. Where the price is on the book, it will say $7.99 US/ $9.99 Canada. I guess I'm getting a good deal. So if the book were sold in Australia it would look like $7.99 AU/$9.99 US. Is this the way it is? And then because you are buying kits etc from the US, you have to pay the higher price?

nanwu
02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
no the exchange rate is what kills us. I bought my sons fiance a pair of shoes from a US site the other night...they were US$78 which was excellent, but with the exchange rate the way it is we actually paid
A$123 (which was still a good price) but we really have to take the exchange rate into consideration when purchasing from overseas.....it's even worse if we purchase from the UK as the exchange rate between pounds or Euro's and the Australian Dollar is absolutely ludicrious.

Kazr
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
At the moment the Aussie dollar is worth about $0.65 to your USA dollar so there is a considerable difference when making payments overseas.hope that helps :)
hugs Karyn.

omajo
02-13-2009, 04:36 AM
You right Carena, always look for bargains and discounts, in every sectors. My hubby is very good in looking for bargains. The price of a whole grain bread about 700 gr is around A$3.50, that's almost the same as at your place Dave. Vegies and fruits are expensive at the moment .
Before the crisis, Aussie dollar is very close to US$, so it was ok to shop in US$. Now we have to consider and do some calculation,.....

ox

DGehman
02-13-2009, 05:01 AM
....The price of a whole grain bread about 700 gr is around A$3.50, that's almost the same as at your place Dave. Vegies and fruits are expensive at the moment...
ox

Looks like my theory is not so hot, then.

But, a puzzlement. Why would fruits and veggies be expensive at this time of year (summer in your hemisphere, in fact analogous to our Northern Hemisphere August, heading into peak harvest time)?

Dave

O2BNGdHope
02-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Before the crisis, Aussie dollar is very close to US$, so it was ok to shop in US$. Now we have to consider and do some calculation,.....

ox

OHHHH! So this really does affect everything everywhere because other countries won't want to purchase anything from the US. Oh dear.

Carena
02-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Cheapest chicken breast (on a good special) I can get here in New Zealand is NZ $11 per kilo with skin on. Of course not on special and depending on where you buy it can be $18 a KG.

With current exchange rates to convert that price into US dollars it would be US $5.72 based on about 52 cent exchange rate.
Back just a few months and it was quiet different with exchange rate October 62 cents $6.82.

Looks like you guys are paying alot for chicken.

Compare this with the minimum wage here in New Zealand - just increased to $12.50 per hour.

How does it compare?
Petrol here is NZ $1.65 per litre.

Interesting to look at isn't it. I'm sure what we pay for one thing may be cheaper but on another more expensive - wages can be very different also.

Carena
02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh just thought I'd add this

A kit I brought for $8.99 US the other day ended up costing me NZ dollars $17.63. :eek: I could have brought 1 1/2 KG's of chicken for that. LOL It was a big kit and just had to have it. :D

DGehman
02-14-2009, 03:27 AM
The US Minimum wage is $US 6.55/hr (and we don't have nationalized medicine... average wage of general physician is $US 60-95/hr.)

In the Northeast, regular grade gasoline is hovering around $US 2.25 per gallon or $US 0.55 per liter (people in the US don't seem to realize that we pay a fraction of what the rest of the world pays, and many just cannot understand why cars on the world market are "so tiny" and seem to want to minimize gas consumption.)

So....

Based on minimum wage, assuming all your wages are (figure-wise) about twice ours, a $US 3.95 kit would have to reach nearly $AUS 8 before it became too expensive. -- Before figuring in the average $1,000 per month we have to pay for medical insurance.

About the same, based on gas-ometry.

Based on chicken-ometry, kits in the store cost about the same, even though the numerals are bigger when you buy in $AUS.

Based on bread-ometry, you're paying the OP's 35-50% more.

(O2BNGdHope, sorry to say, it's been a long time since US goods were competitive on world markets. Heavens, I'm not even able to choose *any* US-made goods at *any* popular-priced store here in the Northeast... the sticker on the bottom almost always says China. For big-ticket stuff, it's been 30 years or more since US carmakers have sold assembled-in-America cars overseas in appreciable numbers.)

Carena
02-14-2009, 03:36 AM
OH well - I guess we all have to remember that digital scrapping is way cheaper no matter what the costs etc because at least with digital you can do a page over and over again. As many pages as you would like - where as paper scrapping one paper will only make one page.

That's the beauty of digital scrapbooking. Cheers everyone.

Kazr
02-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Dear DAVE
was just glancing through these notes & saw your query on *why would fruit & veges be dear in our summer* --- we also queried why that was happening,it is mostly due to our drought season which has not improved in most areas producing stock & now flooding also, so that has sent prices rising to ridiculous levels, we thought they would come down in price now there should be an abundance but we still have a shortage of them..
Hope that helps :)
hugs Karyn.

omajo
02-15-2009, 12:36 AM
I did my fruits & vegs shopping yesterday at the weekend market, the prices at the market is half the prices in the supermarket. The quality is still ok for us to consume. As what Karyn said, I'm also asking why are they still so dear. Probably there are complex reasons, like rent, wages, transportation etc etc.....
Just curious and interesting to know!!

eye
02-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Who cast a stone on on 911 had casted a ripple that would spread all over.We see the effects in everything from food to utilities.In Canada we are taxed to death.Gas was $1.50 a liter in the summer but is around $.89 but slowly climbing.Bread between $2.50-$3.00.But we have a second store.Rejects from bread factory---3 loves for $3.75 and that is where I go.Chicken varies.Sometimes we can get a sale for $.99 a pound.We are in a recession.Also 50 lb. bag of potatoes went from $3.99 to $11.99.Macaroni and flour hiked.Flour used to be $5.99 and now is $15.00 for a 20 lb. bag.Rice has hiked up.I knew all this was going up so I stalked up on as much as I could.Milk is almost $8.00 for 4 litlers.I do not buy cereal as the milk gets wasted as they eat the cereal and dump out the milk.So sometimes it gets rough for alot of people.I know a women who lives of her oven heat as she cannot afford oil as oil is $800 or over.Sometimes I will share my groceries.So sad this day and age to have to live like this.No one should be hungry or be in thirst.When all my family lived here I used to go through almost 40 bottles of ketchup a month.Yeppers someone liked it an awful lot.Now that the two boys are out on their own I just get a bottle once in awhile.I had one son that ate so much that when he moved out we did a little dance behind closed door.His girlfriend said man he likes to eat and I said thank you for taking him:D.I think our world is fading into a bleak area so it is best to pray for us all to survive whatever is heading our way.Oh my goodness I did not mean to write a book xo.Hope my words were not harse as I only meant well.:)

DGehman
02-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Good heavens, eye, I didn't mean to spark awareness of tough times. I was simply trying to get a sense of what things cost relative to where people lived.

Because of family vacations, one of my adopted areas is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and things got very tough there beginning in the late 1950s. Mines closed and foresting lost its economic push, and these were two of the three things that had sustained the area for almost two centuries. (The third was tourism, which as far as I know is still going strong).

The world certainly lost a measurable amount of positive thinking with 9/11. History is a consolation, because we always seem to be able to climb out of these troughs and get back to something like a normal existence. Admittedly, this one will take more individual effort, more education, and more diplomacy than has been evident since 2001.

Dave

eye
02-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Good heavens, eye, I didn't mean to spark awareness of tough times. I was simply trying to get a sense of what things cost relative to where people lived.

Because of family vacations, one of my adopted areas is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and things got very tough there beginning in the late 1950s. Mines closed and foresting lost its economic push, and these were two of the three things that had sustained the area for almost two centuries. (The third was tourism, which as far as I know is still going strong).

The world certainly lost a measurable amount of positive thinking with 9/11. History is a consolation, because we always seem to be able to climb out of these troughs and get back to something like a normal existence. Admittedly, this one will take more individual effort, more education, and more diplomacy than has been evident since 2001.

Dave
ha ha told yah I was long winded---sorry.I guess eye is what you call a negative postive person.Always think the worst and it seems to turn out okay:D