PDA

View Full Version : Need help please

pickngrin
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Ok here goes... I am unfortunalety going to have to restore my entire computer back factory settings and I have already gotten most of the important things off of my hard drive and onto my MyBook hard drive. What I need to know is, is there a way to save all the freebie smb. and smt. files to my external hard drive before restoring? I really don't want to lose them and have to re-download. I have all of the jpg. and png.'s and zips. But what about the ones that are stored into SBM? I refuse to do anything until I hear from some of the resident experts here, lol!
Thanks!

DGehman
01-14-2009, 02:20 PM
What operating system?

In Windows XP Pro, Scrapbook Max projects are saved in My Documents > Scrapbook Max and all the folders down from that. If you did nothing to change the default location, that would be C:\Documents and Settings > (your name, the computer name you use daily) > My Documents > Scrapbook Max. For me, below that is a folder named Projects (contains a folder for each scrapbook I've made); one named Published Files (contains a folder for each scrapbook I've published); and one named Templates that contains .SMT files that I've downloaded or made myself.

Marion knows more about this, as does Steve -- hopefully they'll chime in if I made errors here.

If your SMB and SMT files were downloaded and saved elsewhere, you just need to copy them over to your backup drive from that other location.

All the default Scrapbook Max graphics -- the goodies that came on the CDROM -- are in Program Files > Scrapbook Max > Gallery and folders down from that.

pickngrin
01-14-2009, 02:40 PM
You are wonderful! Thanks, I found the others but forgot to look in Prgram Files>SBM! Found them, you are a lifesaver!

DGehman
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Glad they were there - sorry about you having to wrench your computer back in time. All those weekly Microsoft patches...

Dave

crops2dawn
01-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Did you get that bad virus everyone is talking about????

Marion
01-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Did you get that bad virus everyone is talking about????

Which one this time????

And yes Pick, Dave is right, if you save the folders in my documents, you should have all the freebies and templates etc. Just transfer that entire folder to your external drive and you should be ok. I have had to do it several times.

Also before you wipe out your drive, try running the software mentioned in another post. It is called advanced system care and there is a free version. It has fixed multiple problems for me in the past. If it doesn't work, you can still wipe your computer clean. Good luck!

crops2dawn
01-14-2009, 08:03 PM
I can't remember what it's called at them moment...brain freeze....LOL but its one that pops up and take you to a site you can't get off of, and it starts to eat everything on your computer... My sister got it 2 times already, and she had to go back to factory setting both times. It's a nasty one! I almost got it once, and I quickly shut down my system, luckily it didn't get anything! But I do have everything backed up! whewwww! Thank goodness one of my sister's kid is dating someone who knows how to do this...cause we don't have a clue and the cost was a case beer...not to bad! LOL

sacannon
01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Oooh, think of the name so I know what to watch for!

Lisa S
01-16-2009, 05:45 AM
The virus Crops is speaking of is Antivirus 2009. The first time I got it I got it Bad! I had to do the system restore back to factory settings. The second time it appeared, and let me just say it can pop up anywhere on the web, I just turned off the computer and I didn't get it as bad. We ran Malware and Spybot and that did the trick. But I swear that darn virus was stalking me! If you ever see that popup, Do Not even hit the X on the popup! I was told to hit Control-Alt-Delete, Programs,End task then just run Malware. So far I haven't seen it again but it's great to know Malware does the trick!

Wickel
01-16-2009, 07:12 AM
I just had to restore my puter back to factory settings also. The virus I pick'd up was called the "antivirus360" nasty nasty. I'm still trying to organize my stuff. Luckily I saved to an external drive so I didnt lose anything this time (2nd time in 6 months) My orginal computer crashed about 6 months ago I lost alot of kits , thats when I invested in an external hard-drive ( highly recommend ) ! I have also noticed with the new software that I recently installed , (to hopefully prevent this from happening again), that some of the items we download from blogs may contain potential harmful trojans in them, this program has warned me prior to downloading. I'm using "windows live one care" and it seems to be working good so far (knock on wood) It cost about 39.99 at Staples with a mail in rebate of 20.00. Just something for you to think about.

sacannon
01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
hmm. that could be confusing. I have Norton 360 Antivirus. That is probably how they trick people!

pickngrin
01-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Nope mine wasn't a virus. Just needed cleaning out and guess what....now I have no photoshop on this computer. It is now on my cruddy little laptop that hates me and is slower than molasses in January. But oh well. I can sit in my cozy bed or in front of the fireplace in the living room and make stuff. I will be getting either Photoshop CS4 or a new computer soon. Probably go with the new computer and ditch the poor laptop. My son's computer (an old Dell I had) however DID get Antivirus 2009. By the time I try to fix it I might as well get a new one and not become an alcoholic from stress of trying to rescue the poor thing.

pickngrin
01-16-2009, 02:55 PM
The virus Crops is speaking of is Antivirus 2009. The first time I got it I got it Bad! I had to do the system restore back to factory settings. The second time it appeared, and let me just say it can pop up anywhere on the web, I just turned off the computer and I didn't get it as bad. We ran Malware and Spybot and that did the trick. But I swear that darn virus was stalking me! If you ever see that popup, Do Not even hit the X on the popup! I was told to hit Control-Alt-Delete, Programs,End task then just run Malware. So far I haven't seen it again but it's great to know Malware does the trick!

And what is funny is that when Antivirus 2009 is on your computer you get these little toolbar pop ups. One of them is spelled wrong. It something like to PERVENT virus attacks..... PERVENT????? You think someone who is smart enough to create the worst virus attack in years would be smart enough to spell PREVENT!!! God why don't these geniuses put their smarts to good use?