PDA

View Full Version : Picture restoration...

KPierce
01-10-2009, 09:58 AM
I am looking for someone to restore a picture. It is a scanned negative of my mom and dad from their honeymoon <who happen to be celebrating their 61st anniversary today>. We have never seen the actual print and the negative has scratches. Seems like there was a website or a person highly recommended here on the forum. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Not expecting a freebie, I am willing to purchase this service.

Thanks

DGehman
01-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I've had some good luck repairing images from my parents' WWII days, but I'm not a recommended restoration expert -- so hold this in abeyance in case you don't find a proven expert.

We had our 45th this year, so we find anything around a 61st to be worth supporting.

Dave

mh51
01-10-2009, 11:57 PM
I've had some good luck repairing images from my parents' WWII days, but I'm not a recommended restoration expert -- so hold this in abeyance in case you don't find a proven expert.

We had our 45th this year, so we find anything around a 61st to be worth supporting.

Dave

Go on Dave, have a go. I, for one, would love to see the 'before' & 'after' photos.
Good Luck both.

DGehman
01-11-2009, 03:16 AM
Thanks, Mary. I'm still awaiting word from KPierce... most likely, the family found a restoration pro for the job.

Dave

DGehman
01-11-2009, 04:06 AM
I, for one, would love to see the 'before' & 'after' photos.

Just for fun:
There really is quite a bit you can do.

(Of course, the relatively flat reflections on a building are much different from the subtle shading that occurs on the human face... and if the original is in color or really well colorized... forget it, as far as my doing it!)

Dave

Smile
01-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Hay.........restoration........I did that once.........took out all my wrinkles and it stretched my eye's about two inches.....is that the same thing........couldn't see but they say I looked great.....

KPierce
01-11-2009, 06:07 AM
I had to work yesterday <UGH> My brother sent me the tips below from web PhotoShop realworld users so I was going to rescan my negative again to see if it would help anyone who tried to fix my picture by starting with a better scan.

We deliberately scan with the black point and white point set with a few unused tones at the ends <there was a graphic here for illustration>, because we know we can set the endpoints more accurately in Photoshop than in the scanning software.

To minimize image degradation during editing, we scanned the image as a 16-bit/channel grayscale TIFF file.

We also chose Image > Invert to make it a positive image.

I will be most happy to give anyone a try. It is a wonderful picture

DGehman
01-11-2009, 06:33 AM
I'd be happy to try -- if the original is B&W, then, yes, grayscale scanning will be the best. I'm less familiar with black/white point settings on the scanner, because I've never played with it... maybe I should...

If possible, scan at 600 or 1200 DPI, but the resulting file will be too big to post here, so you'll have to either email it or post it at a file-sharing site for download.

pickngrin
01-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi there. I can give it a try. I love restoring photos, that is part of what I learned in photography. Just let me know.:D

KPierce
01-11-2009, 02:27 PM
So show you the picture. Here is a page I made for their anniv using the picture as I scanned it w/o any touch ups. The other page was mom and dad yesterday on their anniversary. Still a couple of kids in love! The pages are free quick pages I downloaded and a few additions. I will try to get the picture rescanned and uploaded soon :D. I'll be back. Thanks.

26848 26847

DGehman
01-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Neat looking couple. And, wow, that is scratched...

At this very low resolution, the bridegroom cleans up pretty well.

KPierce
01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
I have scanned again at 1200 dpi at 100% and 200%. My scanner software did not have the adjustments mentioned in post above by the WWW Photoshop professionals. This is a negative not a picture that I have scanned. I did not invert because I thought whoever wants to try might have better software for inverting at a better level than my software will do. I have JPGs and TIFFs. PM me your email address if you want to try and let me know what size and what file type you want.

The jpgs are not very large files but too large for here. 100% is only 1 MEG and 200% is 3 MEG. The TIFF files are much larger in size.

Thank you to anyone who wants to give it a try. I appreciate it. We would like to be able to print the picture not just as a scrapbook page.

KPierce
01-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Here is the final improved page. I finally hooked up my scanner that actually scans negatives and WOW what a difference. I can not imagine now why I put if off so long :rolleyes: With the right scan the picture did not need very much work but it still had a few areas. Dave helped me to clean up the picture. Thank You so much for your help Dave. Here is the final page.

sacannon
01-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Congrats, it came out great. My old scanner had an attachment to do negatives and slides. I miss that feature.

eye
01-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Here is the final improved page. I finally hooked up my scanner that actually scans negatives and WOW what a difference. I can not imagine now why I put if off so long :rolleyes: With the right scan the picture did not need very much work but it still had a few areas. Dave helped me to clean up the picture. Thank You so much for your help Dave. Here is the final page.

Holy cow what a difference.Dave you are too smart and that is why we need you here.

DGehman
01-14-2009, 09:27 AM
No - no - wait - KPierce's operation of the backlit negative scanner did 99.99% of the improvement.

I simply got rid of some specks (the scratches had ALL disappeared, ALL of them!). There were maybe a dozen specks that remained in the good scan that KPierce did, out of the many thousands that were visible in the original scan.

The original snapshot is extraordinary -- the man and woman are at ease with other, clearly a close team, and at ease with the camera. Except for a few details in the shoes/sandals and the cuffs on the man's pants, this could have been taken last summer... simply extraordinary for a photo 60+ years old.

O2BNGdHope
01-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow! That looks GREAT! Great job BOTH of you!

rosana brito
01-19-2009, 09:09 PM
My friend, this was maximum that obtained, to arrange in its photos ok
Sorry I tried the possible one, to put photos they are very small ok

hugssssss