PDA

View Full Version : Candlelight Ceremony:

Smile
10-23-2008, 05:44 AM
Hello my good friends. Today marks the 50th anniversary of a cole mine explosion that happened in our town (Springhill,NS) on October/ 23/ 1958. There were 74 men killed including my dad and Eye's dad. We had the largest amount of kids in our two families....11 in Eye's and 10 in mine. Tonight there will be a candle lit from one member of each family to represent each of the 74 cole miners. What a sad and also a great honor to be a part of this. They worked with only a pick and shovel with just a light on there hard hats, two and one half miles underground, twelve hours a day. Although I was only six and Eye was eight I can still see my dad's smiling face. These were the bravest men off all. Just trying to provide for the families they loved. We miss you and god bless......xoxoxo

Vanessa
10-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Smile, both you and Eye will be in my thoughts. Even though so much time has passed, this memorial service will not be easy for both of you.

Hugz

eye
10-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I am not going as to me it is like going to a furneral and I do not think I could handle that.Though it is great for others and it is a nice gester.Big thing on T.V. Tonight about the mines.Yes Loie I can see mine dancing around the kitchen with mum:)

Marion
10-23-2008, 12:43 PM
My father was a coalminer for many years. He did not die in the mines, but because of the mines. He got Mesothelioma from working in the coal mines. I was lucky enough to have my dad around a lot longer then both of you, but my heart is with you.

Granny
10-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this Smile. It is so terribly sad for things like this to happen. I'm sending you both a great, big, long hugh.

eye
10-23-2008, 03:22 PM
i'm so sorry to hear about this smile. It is so terribly sad for things like this to happen. I'm sending you both a great, big, long hugh.

omg granny loves me:d

*eng*
10-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Oh goodness my eyes are full and a lump in my throat. Even though I have heard this from you before the thought of small sweet children going through such pain just sets me off. Love you two xxx

crops2dawn
10-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Sending you both hugs!!! I know how hard this is for both of you! What a great way to pay tribute to these fine men!
Even though you both were so young, its wonderful that you can remember them in a good way! Love ya both!!!!!

fourfoxes
10-23-2008, 05:40 PM
My husband's grandfather was killed in a coal mine when my mother-in-law was only 3 years old. There were two boys aged 9 and 6 and grandma was 8 months pregnant with another boy. So sad. My heart goes out to both of you! I'll light a candle in my window tonight for both of your fathers too. BIG HUGS!!

grannywin
10-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Sending a big hug to both of you and eye. It is never easy to lose someone you love, but your sorrow was compounded because it affected so many people in your community. This might be a good opportunity to remember your fathers as very brave men and celebrate their accomplishments instead of their deaths. I am glad to see the community is keeping their memory alive.

MaggieMae
10-23-2008, 06:11 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the explosion. How very sad for you both. I grew up in a mining town in Michigan and Ron has been a mining geologist for years. He just missed being in an explosion a few years ago - it killed 3 men. It is so heartbreaking for the families and the hard-working men. My thoughts are with you.

Granny
10-23-2008, 06:11 PM
I do, I do!

:)

eye
10-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I do, I do!

:)

Gotcha I do too:D

wolvsie35
10-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Lighting a candle for the both of you and the ones that passed...Thinking of you...((HUGS))

Smile
10-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Thank you my dear friends for your thoughts. It was a wonderful tribute and I had my son standing beside me holding a candle for a miner who no longer had family alive to do so. How proud I was and I know that my dad was watching. The place was packed and everyone there was given a flashlight to turn on after we blew out our candles. It was an amazing thing to see. It is a night I won't forget, and everyone of my family were there including my husband who never goes anywhere. My oldest brother held a candle for Dad and we all carried his picture with us. Did I cry........off course but they were tears of pride........thank you for lighting your candles with me............xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

sacannon
10-23-2008, 09:24 PM
I remember you and Eye mentioning this before, but 50 years...Wow. It is so nice that they did a tribute like that. I also come from a line of Coal Miners. My dad wasn't, but My Great Grandfather and Great Uncles were all Coal Miners. I remember my Great Uncles complaining about the way the mines were run. I was young at the time so I don't remember the details.

My heart goes out to you both.

eye
10-23-2008, 10:44 PM
so sorry about not going but I am a private person and like to cry alone and not in front of others.I just could not go.I am glad there was a great turn over.Gee 50 years and I remember it as if it was yesterday and I even know what I was doing at that moment and what I thought.I was 8 and was sitting on the cupboard with my feet in the sink washing them.I heard the thump and thought it was a giant walking.I do have an imagination.Thanks girls for your kindness. xo

Smile
10-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Eye: I loved your memory of your dad and mom dancing in there kitchen. You would have been proud of your brother Melvin all dressed up carring the candle for your dad.Cousin John was also there with my brother Gary, three grown up men remembering their dads. It was sad but it also made me proud. These great men deserve to be remembered whether it is at something like this or at home in the privacy of your own home and heart. They made us cousins and that in itself is a great gift.........love you cuz.........xoxoxoxo