PDA

View Full Version : I FOUND IT and IT WORKS !!!!!!

OnieRN
09-21-2008, 10:56 AM
I am jumping for JOY!!!!! I thought my External Hard Drive was ruined from the storm!!!!! I had EVERYTHING stored on it! We could not find my cords anywhere, so we tried other cords and even bought several others but NOTHING would light up the External. Even tried to find a way to transfer the data but still had no luck. John JUST found the original cord AND it worked!!!!! YIPPY!!!!!

Lesson learned here...... everyone needs to make sure your able to backup your goodies but also make backups of your backups! Somehow there must be a safe way to protect your creations! I thought I lost over 2 years of my SBM stuff!

sacannon
09-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Oh that is wonderful Onie. Yes, I would be sick if I lost everything on my External. I have some back ups, but not everything is backed up to CD's.

Tiffanys Scraps
09-21-2008, 11:10 AM
So happy for you. Glad to hear all is not lost.

Marion
09-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Wooohhoooo!!!! Happy for you!

eye
09-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Oh that is so so nice Onie.I bet it feels like christmas morning.Wow:)

fourfoxes
09-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Yippeeeee!!!! So happy for you! :)

OnieRN
09-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh that is so so nice Onie.I bet it feels like christmas morning.Wow:)

You Got That Right EYE!

I was thinking of backing up to DVD+R but I'm not sure how much I can put on it! I have a lot of files in my embellishments, papers, scraps, shapes etc. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions????

Granny
09-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Onie, I'm so delighted that your HD is ok. I know what is like to loose two years worth of work. Not fun!!!

A suggestion on the DVD... Do not do a regular backup. Just get several dvds and either copy the files designers, or by categories, like...

kits
layouts
embies
ribbons
shapes

Because DVDs hold so much, you can combined some categories into one disk.

I say copy and not backup, because with copies, you can retrieve files as you need them from the disks. With a regular backup, you have to restore the entire disk, and that can be a real pain. I hope you understand what I mean?

:D

ps: I did approve you as a messenger buddie. Did you get that email?

MaggieMae
09-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Yahoo, Onie!! I'm so happy for you - two years worth of work is so valuable!!

OnieRN
09-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Great Idea Granny! I feel so unorganized because I have things scattered out everywhere!

crops2dawn
09-21-2008, 05:37 PM
YEA!!!! What great news!!! I backup on the 1st of every month to a DVD, they hold 4.7 GB, so you can get loads of stuff on one... it was hard at first cause as I just kept on backing the same stuff every month...but now I have 2 folders on my desktop, one with everything in it and one just for the month we are in, then after the month is over I just copy it to a DVD and move all the new stuff to the old stuff and start all over.....

OnieRN
09-21-2008, 08:29 PM
YEA!!!! What great news!!! I backup on the 1st of every month to a DVD, they hold 4.7 GB, so you can get loads of stuff on one... it was hard at first cause as I just kept on backing the same stuff every month...but now I have 2 folders on my desktop, one with everything in it and one just for the month we are in, then after the month is over I just copy it to a DVD and move all the new stuff to the old stuff and start all over.....

Now that is interesting! The New stuff..... is it just your layouts or does it include all your new kits, embies, etc?

mariet
09-21-2008, 09:03 PM
thats awesome Onie !! :)

crops2dawn
09-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Now that is interesting! The New stuff..... is it just your layouts or does it include all your new kits, embies, etc?

It just includes all new kits, embies...etc... I have a whole other DVD with just all my layouts on. I used to have them scattered about too, but once I knew how I was gonna do it I went through all these CDs and DVDs and put them all on one.
Once you have an idea on how you want to organize it, the rest is a breezeeeeeeee....lol

twpclerk
09-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Oh happy day Onie!!! I'm so happy you found it and it works!!

LindaPete
09-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Congrats on rescuing your data Onie!
I have a TON of stuff that I store on a webpage for school stuff. I was so glad that I had uploaded all my tests and quizzes and such to another teacher's website to share with others when a substitute wiped out all my data! Is there a sight that is free for webhosting where you can upload things like this? It would give you another back up option.

*eng*
09-23-2008, 02:56 PM
What a result..well done!

knzus
09-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Thanks, John!!! :D

this-be-me2
09-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi so glad you were able to get everything back. Ike was projected to hit us way down here in Harlingen but went higher up the coast, we're still soggy from Dolly. I have a question, I hope someone can answer. What program do you all use to turn pictures into clip art? Will any Adobe photoshop (like elements 6) work? Thanks for your help, Trish the newbee here

MommaBird
09-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Just wanted to let you know, I have had alot more failure on DVD than on regular CDs. Sometimes you put the dvd in and it just locks up your system. I have tried them on a several computers, but the data is not accessible. If you do write to dvd, be sure to write all the data at once; if you take it out, it is my experience that any new data will not be readable anyway. I backup my hard drive to external drive, but before I take off the data from the hard drive, I make a CD copy, and maybe two copies of the same data depending on how important the data is. The CDs are so cheap nowdays, it is definately worth it. Glad you got your data back. I had a hard drive dropped to the floor and I could not get it to respond; I put it away and about 4 months later, tried it, and at least 3 quarters was available. Maybe the "shock wore off"!